Sunday, August 20, 2006

The LuLac Edition #50, August 20th, 2006
















SHERWOOD IN HOSPITAL FOR HEART SURGERY............Don Sherwood's bid for re-election took another unexpexcted turn Saturday when the GOP Congressman representing the 10th district underwent open heart surgery for blockages. The Congressman is resting, in good spirits and wants to get back on the trail very quickly. He should be released from Geisinger Wyoming Valley by the middle of next week. This development may have an impact on the serious challenge Sherwood seems to be facing from Chris Carney. In a prepared statement, the Carney camp said, “Today we are all praying for Don Sherwood and his family. This morning’s papers indicate that he is on the road to a quick recovery and will be back on the campaign trail soon.” As a cancer survivor myself, I know how serious medical procedures can affect one’s family. My heart and my prayers go out to Don Sherwood’s family in their time of need.”
“While politicians can disagree in the midst of a campaign, today we all agree and wish Don Sherwood a safe and speedy recovery.”


SWANN CAMP "BOOKING" ON READERS TO AID CAMPAIGN....Lynn Swann has a plan and he wants you to read all about it. In a letter sent to supporters and non supporters alike, Swann asked for help in getting his ideas across the Commonwealth.
Dear Supporter, Today, I released a limited edition book about my plan for change and reform in the Commonwealth. A New Direction: My Plan for a Better Pennsylvania outlines where I stand on important issues and why I'm asking for your vote. For a special donation of $10 or more, I will send you a copy of A New Direction: My Plan for a Better Pennsylvania. Please follow this link to secure your copy today! As a private citizen, I've always believed that politicians should do a better job of simply listening to voters about the issues they care about, and engaging in a dialogue that gives people a voice. As a first-time candidate for Governor, that's exactly what I set out to do. My new book, A New Direction, is the next step of that dialogue. As I've traveled the campaign trail, I've outlined my views on several key issues, including the need for real property tax reform, closing the education achievement gap in our public schools, and reforming state government to make it more accountable and transparent to the people it serves. These are important issues, but I believe people want to know more about their elected officials than just what's in their press releases or on their websites. And that's the purpose of my new book. While I don't expect that this book will address every possible issue, I hope it will provide voters with greater insight into my vision for Pennsylvania and the direction that I will take our state as Governor. By making a donation of $10 or more right now, I will rush you a copy of A New Direction! Between now and Election Day, voters will undoubtedly know where my opponent and I stand on the important issues we face. I have a plan to put Pennsylvania back on track, and I need your help to do it. I stand ready to usher in a new era of accountability, reform and opportunity. Please join my team today! Thank you for your support. Sincerely, Lynn Swann P.S. As I have traveled around Pennsylvania, I have set out to engage in a dialogue with Pennsylvanians to give them a voice about the issues they care about. My new book, A New Direction is the next step of that dialogue. With your special gift of $10 or more to my campaign, I will rush you a copy of my book. Please join our team today! Thank you.


POLITICAL NOTES..............Lackawanna County Commissioner Bob Cordaro introduced Scranton standout Gerry McNamera at the Stadium last night. Cordaro presented the cager with a proclamation from the county and read each Commissioners name. Cordaro was met with some boos because of his controversial tax hikes but those negatives turned quickly to positives when McNamera was introduced...........During the showing of Apollo 13 on Saturday night, WNEP TV had various candidates give a brief presentation on the issues and their individual stances. No word on how effective this time was to the candidates but WNEP TV did fulfill a public service commitment.....................A proposal supported by Wilkes Barre council to again alter the way council members are elected is unlawful and a slap in the faces of the voters who approved the last voting change, according to local civic activist Walter Griffith.
Griffith filed a lawsuit in Luzerne County court on Friday in an attempt to stop the proposal.
The petition in question calls for a referendum to be placed on the November ballot asking voters if they would like council members to be elected at large instead of by district.
Petition proponents said they believe council members elected at large regardless of where they live in Wilkes-Barre will serve the city better. In 2001, voters approved a referendum to reduce council from seven to five members and elect them by district instead of at large. But, because of court challenges and wrangling about how to divvy up the districts, the plan hasn’t been implemented. The lawsuit challenges the petition’s legality, saying such a referendum can only be placed on a ballot five years after the previous change was put into effect, according to the Pennsylvania Home Rule Law. Although it was approved five years ago, it was never implemented. Council members have said that when the issue appeared on the ballot in 2001, voters who wanted to reduce council didn’t have the option of separately voting to elect them at large because the two issues appeared under one question. They said the result might have been different if the issues appeared separately.....................Governor Rendell visited Carbondale and Pittston yesterday. He marched in parades and the nanvy blue suited Santa handed out grant monies to Carbondale for a new parking garage and to Pittston Area agencies and charities.........We'll miss "the Guv" this year on ComCast Sports doing Eagles commentary. He'll be off because of equal time provisions in the broadcast election laws............And how about that fight at the Capitol between the Green Party and Democrats regarding petitions for the "spolier" candidate in his race against Bob Casey and Rick Santorum. Reports are Capitol police had to be called to quell the dispute.

1 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Walter said...

The City Council of Wilkes Barre is always trying to circumvent the voters...I find it reprehensible that the City Council refuses to do the will of the Voters in regard to the Redistricting issue...I know that they want to stall the process so they can get their pensions but how much is enough for some of these elected officials that say they are elected to serve the public.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home