Sunday, February 04, 2007

The LuLac Edition #146, Feb. 4, 2007






PHOTO INDEX: TAB AND COORS LITE, THE DRINK OF CHOICE AT THIS BLOGGERS GET TOGETHER FOR SUPERBOWL SUNDAY, TWO SETS OF COORS LITE TWINS AND THE NFL LOGO.

SUPERBOWL SUNDAY

I remember the very first Superbowl, it was called championship Sunday. Two TV networks carried it because both leagues (the AFL and NFL) were trying to merge and both NBC and CBS wanted the game. You could buy a ticket for a mere $15.00, a nose bleed seat for $5.00. How far this sporting spectacle has come.
Now Superbowl Sunday is a national holiday and the second biggest food consumption day behind Thanksgiving. Menus like those at Christmas vary for people. This year we'll favor Windsor Inn wings, KFC, supersatta from Sabatelle's Market in Pittston and giant macaroons from The Sanitary Bakery in Nanticoke. Some years we've attended huge parties, others I've sat alone in solitude with my dog as I rooted for my teams, the Packers or Bills to prevail. Either way, Superbowl Sunday has become a spectacle that is uniquely American. It has crossed the line of sport, it has now become a cultural event. Either way, it is a day to celebrate the sport of football, the technology of our nation, (did I mention the Coors Lite twins and NFL cheerleaders?) the friendships we seek out among crowds or the privacy we choose inside our safe, warm homes to enjoy the affluence, abundance and freedom of being an American. So with chilled Tab, Coors Lite and a little bottle of Baileys tucked away in the freezer, let me wish you all a Happy Superbowl Sunday! Drink, eat and cheer carefully.

2 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger Tom Carten said...

Never followed the game, as I am not into sports. No matter how big the hype; I couldn't care less even if they were playing football. I do keep up enough to know that it's the Yankees and Celtics in the Kingdome and Laker Airways is the official airline.

 
At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,
Just recently started reading this newsletter. I try to keep up with it now everyday. My question is: What do think about the race for Luzerne County Sheriff? Who do you see coming out on top?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home