Thursday, March 27, 2008

The LuLac Edition #448, March 27th, 2008

















PHOTO INDEX: AL GORE GIVING THE "THUMBS UP", PRESIDENT JOHNSON ANNOUNCING HIS WITHDRAWL FROM THE 1968 PRESIDENTIAL RACE 40 YEARS AGO ON MARCH 31RST AND OUR 1968 LOGO.

THE DEM SOLUTION

I was going to hold back on this until after the Democratic primary on April 22nd but I’ve already been trumped by one local blogger and MSNBC. But when I had dinner with a former Congressional candidate a few weeks back, I mentioned this scenario. Well, kind of, I said Gore would win the Democratic nod but then I started to really think about it. Here it is:
Both Senators Clinton and Obama go to the convention. There is a stalemate. The super delegates are divided. The convention at Denver is deadlocked. The first ballot is over. Obama won’t concede and Clinton won’t either. Before the second ballot, a faint chant goes up, “Gore, Gore, Gore”. Then out of nowhere, strains from Paul Simon’s “You Can Call Me Al” starts to play. The crowd, being Democrats are at first confused. But then they catch on. The chant becomes louder, “Gore, Gore, Gore!” Then they start yelling “Gore Is Great in ‘08”. Delegations start asking for attention from the Chair to change their votes. The delegations start falling like dominos. In Pennsylvania, Governor Rendell frantically bribes anyone with cheese steaks. Governor Corzine in New Jersey does him one better, throwing hundreds on the floor. But it is to no avail. The magic delegate number is reached and Al Gore, former Vice President of the U.S. accepts, however reluctantly the Democratic nomination. He names as his campaign Chairs Senators Obama and Clinton. He picks as his running mate New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Since only two U.S. Senators have been elected President, Gore goes on to win the Presidency by a landslide with Senator McCain and Haley Barbour carrying only their home states Arizona and Mississippi. On January 20th, 2009, America’s long national nightmare comes to an end and Al Gore takes the oath of office as the 44th President of the United States. Better late than never!
From YOU TUBE, Paul Simon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiVaE-pKqM&feature=related.

1968


On March 31, 1968, President Lyndon B. Johnson stunned the world with his surprise announcement that he would not seek re-election.
The announcement came at the end of this TV speech concerning the situation in Vietnam where increasing numbers of young Americans were being killed amid the recent escalation of the war.
In January of 1968, the Tet offensive occurred in which North Vietnamese troops attacked 36 provincial capitals and 5 major cities in South Vietnam including an attack on the U.S. embassy in Saigon and the presidential palace.
Filmed footage of the offensive and its resulting carnage appeared on nightly news programs seen by the American public. Unlike previous wars, news personnel were not censored and thus often took graphic front line combat footage.
Year after year of TV news reports showing bloodied young Americans and dead Vietnamese civilians led many to eventually question the necessity of the entire ordeal. By 1968, demonstrations and unrest had erupted on college campuses with demands for an immediate end to the war.
Amid the mounting death toll and continuing erosion of popular and political support for the war, President Johnson was faced with having to decide America's future course in the conflict. His choices included possible escalation in an effort to win the war, or the pursuit of peace with an enemy who now seemed determined to fight and win no matter what the cost. As a fourteen year old, I watched the speech with interest but at 9:40PM the phone rang and my seventh grade girlfriend whined about the fact that The Smothers Brothers wasn't on. We talked until five after ten. When I walked back into the living room, my father said, "Mac, you missed it!" "Missed what?" I asked. Johnson withdrew. Chagrined that I missed this historical moment, my father said, "Women are gonna kill ya, I can see that!" It was one of many time he'd say that to me. Here is what President Johnson said on that fateful night.
Finally, my fellow Americans, let me say this:
Of those to whom much is given, much is asked. I cannot say and no man could say that no more will be asked of us.
Yet, I believe that now, no less than when the decade began, this generation of Americans is willing to "pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
Since those words were spoken by John F. Kennedy, the people of America have kept that compact with mankind's noblest cause.
And we shall continue to keep it.
Yet, I believe that we must always be mindful of this one thing, whatever the trials and the tests ahead. The ultimate strength of our country and our cause will lie not in powerful weapons or infinite resources or boundless wealth, but will lie in the unity of our people.
This I believe very deeply.
Throughout my entire public career I have followed the personal philosophy that I am a free man, an American, a public servant, and a member of my party, in that order always and only.
For 37 years in the service of our Nation, first as a Congressman, as a Senator, and as Vice President, and now as your President, I have put the unity of the people first. I have put it ahead of any divisive partisanship.
And in these times as in times before, it is true that a house divided against itself by the spirit of faction, of party, of region, of religion, of race, is a house that cannot stand.
There is division in the American house now. There is divisiveness among us all tonight. And holding the trust that is mine, as President of all the people, I cannot disregard the peril to the progress of the American people and the hope and the prospect of peace for all peoples.
So, I would ask all Americans, whatever their personal interests or concern, to guard against divisiveness and all its ugly consequences.
Fifty-two months and 10 days ago, in a moment of tragedy and trauma, the duties of this office fell upon me. I asked then for your help and God's, that we might continue America on its course, binding up our wounds, healing our history, moving forward in new unity, to clear the American agenda and to keep the American commitment for all of our people.
United we have kept that commitment. United we have enlarged that commitment.
Through all time to come, I think America will be a stronger nation, a more just society, and a land of greater opportunity and fulfillment because of what we have all done together in these years of unparalleled achievement.
Our reward will come in the life of freedom, peace, and hope that our children will enjoy through ages ahead.
What we won when all of our people united just must not now be lost in suspicion, distrust, selfishness, and politics among any of our people.
Believing this as I do, I have concluded that I should not permit the Presidency to become involved in the partisan divisions that are developing in this political year.
With America's sons in the fields far away, with America's future under challenge right here at home, with our hopes and the world's hopes for peace in the balance every day, I do not believe that I should devote an hour or a day of my time to any personal partisan causes or to any duties other than the awesome duties of this office--the Presidency of your country.
Accordingly, I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination of my party for another term as your President.
But let men everywhere know, however, that a strong, a confident, and a vigilant America stands ready tonight to seek an honorable peace--and stands ready tonight to defend an honored cause--whatever the price, whatever the burden, whatever the sacrifice that duty may require.
Thank you for listening.
Good night and God bless all of you.
America was stunned and the political world was rocked. All of a sudden, Vice President Hubert Humphrey's stock went up. The Bobby Kennedy campaign was stunned and bewildered. Kennedy was going to campaign against his sworn enemy with relish but all of a sudden his nemesis deserted him. Eugene McCarthy made the lame comment, "This makes it interesting" and walked away leaving his supporters dazed and confused. It was after all McCarthy's insurgency campaign just weeks ago in New Hampshire that vanquished the Johnson war policy. On the night LBJ ended all doubts about his future, McCarthy raised them about his own..... On the statewide level, a public question went on the ballot asking about legislative reapportionment. The question called for 50 State Senators, 25 elected every two years for four year terms and 204 State Legislators to be realigned after each ten year census……..in the County Eugene Ziomek decided to make a run for state representative against incumbent Fred Shupnik in the 4th Legslative District. It would be the only primary opposition for a state rep….in the Wilkes Barre, newly minted and hired Fredrick Wegner began his duties as Wilkes Barre City manager….in Pittston at St. John the Baptist Grade School the last co-ed dance was held between the seventh and eighth grade students. A mini scandal broke out when a few students began to say the words to Mitch Ryder’s “Sock It To Me Baby” were dirty, so assistant pastor and head chaperone and bouncer Father Andrew Strish put on his favorite song, “Skip A Rope” by Hensen Cargill , effectively killing any amorous activities….forty years ago this week the number 1 song in LuLac land was Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart’s “I Wonder What She’s Doing Tonight”, here it is courtesy of YOU TUBE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSMUtLHPH7Y. While Father’s favorite song was playing, he was called away and one of the eighth grade school boys acting as a deejay put on Mel Carter’s great 1965 hit “Hold Me Thrill Me”. For three minutes, the romance returned. Or what passed for that in 1968 among 7th and 8th grade boys and girls! As an added bonus from YOU TUBE: Mr. Mel Carter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OoZno_FLjI&feature=related

14 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh God. You are a man of dillusions. I'd give a fortune to be inside that imagination and fantasy world/brain of yours for just a half hour! Gore my ***!! (edited)

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and after gore ass umes the presidency he gets the u.s. to buy carbon credits making al the richest man in the world and in the process eclipses bush/cheney use of haliburton as the greatest scam pulled over on the american people

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful stories again on 1968. The Johnson thing was surreal and Gene McCarthy's non response to the momentous announcement was the beginining of the end for his effort. Had Bobby lived.....

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonki, two things, I love the music you put into these things AND I knew your seventh grade girl friend. She worked as a flight attendent. Not bad there kid!

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Dave's theme song for this blog should be Jethro Tull's Living In the Past!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonk's Official LuLac Tune has been in the works for some time.
It was originally scheduled to be released with the afternoon Radio Show long before Corbett came back.
This is no joke. There were serious discussions and I still think a call in radio show with David Yonki would be the best thing since Tony Cornheiser had a thought provoking program on ESPN!

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boyce or Hart(don't remember which one)had Scranton connections, related to a prominent Green Ridge family, or an amalgam of a Green Ridge and South Side family. Mel Carter's Hold Me, Thrill Me is one of my all time favorite songs.

Love the Al Gore idea. I still say a a Clinton/Obama ticket should NOT BE RULED OUT. Bizarre, absurd, denied by all who "know" their stuff, it could happen. The power brokers across the land likely already realize it is the only way to prevent the Ds from blowing what should be a slam dunk on taking the White House. Obama could be faced with accepting the #2 spot or sitting out the next eight years. Ridiculous? Perhaps. But this coming August in Denver we might see all the intrigue that we only hear takes place in papal enclaves.

Speaking of congressional candidates; the two R candidates in the 10th both have serious integrity issues, as witnessed by recent revelations. A third candidate could have cleaned the floor with them. Still, Carney's going back to DC for a second term.

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought Lyndon Johnson was a tragic figure. My feeling was one of great sympathy when he died at the young age of 64. Unlike our current President, I feel LBJ's life was slowly eaten away by every death in Vietnam. The retrospective of 1968 is a real gem David. Obviously you lived it but you were a kid. I'd like you to tell us at some point how the year shaped your life. As for the top number 1 hits, one of my favorite movies is "The Big Chill". At the time I saw it, I thought the charscters were rather pompous when they bragged their music was the best of all time. I don't know, hearing the music of 40 years ago, then seeing what passes for it now, those characters may have been correct. And Mel Carter? There isn't a red blooded straight American boy from the 60s who didn't try to dance with a girl, any girl when that song came on. Nice work Dave!

 
At 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don't know, I think Al Gore is kinda sneaky. You see him on TV night? I'm not running for fixer or something to that effect. And Yonki, I just don't know about this affinity for Veeps and tall women. By the way, a quote from David Yonki, 1973, Record Review column in the Dispatch, (what this was doing in a rock and roll column I'll never know but hey, he has has been rockers in a political column, so I guess it's cool)anyway, he described Spiro Agnew when he stepped down as Vice President as "galent". Look it up. Of course, Dave's not the only one who saves old columns. Myself, I thought that was a keeper. Gallant, DAve? Explain that one.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
AND I knew your seventh grade girl friend. She worked as a flight attendent. Not bad there kid!
INDEED!!!!!
Yonk's Official LuLac Tune has been in the works for some time.
It was originally scheduled to be released with the afternoon Radio Show long before Corbett came back.
This is no joke. There were serious discussions...
WHERE WERE THESE DISCUSSIONS, IN A BAR OR IN YOUR DREAMS? I'M NOT AWARE OF SUCH A THING. ILLUMINATE ME PLEASE.
he described Spiro Agnew when he stepped down as Vice President as "galent". Look it up. Of course, Dave's not the only one who saves old columns. Myself, I thought that was a keeper. Gallant, DAve? Explain that one.
I REMEMBER THE COLUMN AND I RECALL TWO THINGS ABOUT IT. 1. I WAS ANNOYED BECAUSE MY FAVORITE NETWORK NBC CHOSE TO CARRY A GAME SHOW, OR IT MIGHT'VE BEEN WBRE THAT DIDN'T RUN THE NBC FEED AND I THOUGHT THAT WAS TERRIBLE AND 2. I DO REMEMBER USING THE WORD GALLANT AND GETTING BUSTED FOR IT VIGOROUSLY IN ONE OF MY KING'S COLLEGE GOVERNMENT CLASSES. I'LL ADMIT TO IT BUT ALSO ADMIT I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I WAS THINKING BACK THEN. MAYBE I LIKED THE SUIT HE WAS WEARING AS HE EXITED OFFICE. BUT THERE WAS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT HYPERBOLE!

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone knows the Clintons and Gores have no love for one another. Al could've won but it was repugnant to him to have Clinton campaign for him after Monica. THe Clinton years and all they entailed, the good but mostly the bad are coming home to roost.

 
At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for young Bobby Casey. Shows he can think for himself. Glad I voted for him. Hillary has managed to completely turn me off! I cant vote for McCain with the promise of a Bush Lite Presidency and more war. Nor will I vote for Hillary and I once supported her. Her Karl Rove tactics and difficulty with the truth drove me off!!

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Illuminate!
I was the GM designate
of a radio station instructed to create a Talk, National and Local format on an existing AM Band. I wanted you for the afternoon slot. I was serious! Have you gotten into the wine at that church of yours?
The owner wanted a Sue Henry type.
Contract negotiations broke down when the owner found a pigeon/buyer.
Sound at all familiar?

Cassidy

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Illuminate!
I was the GM designate
of a radio station instructed to create a Talk, National and Local format on an existing AM Band. I wanted you for the afternoon slot. I was serious!
RIGHT, RIGHT, I FORGOT ABOUT THAT!!! SORRY, TOO MUCH WATER AND/OR WINE UNDER THE DAM SINCE THEN!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home