Monday, August 04, 2008

The LuLac Edition #530, August 4th, 2008







PHOTO INDEX: BOSCOV'S DEPARTMENT STORE AND THAT OLD GYM RAT, WILKES BARRE MAYOR TOM LEIGHTON.

WILL WE BOSCOV AGAIN?

Despite denials to the contrary the past few weeks, the ailing Boscov’s Department Store chain filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in Wilmington, Delaware this morning. Reports are that the company will close 10 “underperforming” stores. One can’t help but think that maybe the Wilkes Barre outlet might be on its way out. Truth is, based on my own shopping experience, I’d say yes. But I haven’t shopped in Boscov’s in about 5 years mainly because I’m an old guy who has mostly everything he needs. In terms of clothing, if I bring one more tie or suit or pair of shoes into the house, Mrs. LuLac will throw me out. Again! Gift giving, I think I used to buy candy there for co-workers. One time I bought an airline ticket from the Travel Department. But I am not representative of the average shopper. Today many Boscov loyalists called WILK Radio and said they shopped the store regularly and would be lost without it. Let’s hope for the sake of downtown Wilkes Barre that those callers and regular shoppers are the ones that make the downtown Boscov’s an “over performer”. But being a pessimist at heart who works his way up to being an optimist on these matters, well let’s just say I’m not holding my breath. But the fingers and toes are crossed, for the sake of the community and for the remembrance of the great things Al Boscov and his store did for Wilkes Barre City through 4 administrations.

UPDATE

A Boscov’s official told the Times Leader that the downtown Wilkes Barre store is not on the list of ten set to close. For now.

THE RED BERETS

Mayor Tom Leighton of Wilkes Barre took to the airwaves on WILK Radio to say that he really didn’t need to have a discussion with the Guardian Angels. Leighton said the police force was doing its job and didn’t need any outside help. True. The Wilkes Barre Police Department under the leadership of Chief Dessoye is one of the best trained and responsive units on the east coast. It has a tough job trying to keep the peace for city residents who have lived here for years vs. the outside crime element from New York and Philadelphia who are sometimes enabled and sheltered by some of our more trusting home folk. A more difficult balancing act in terms of the Constitution you will not be able to find. That all said, I think it might behoove the Mayor to at least have a meeting with Guardian Angels to lay out the ground rules for their participation in the protection of the city. My colleague from Wilkes Barre On Line made the point, also on WILK Radio today that a little communication between the administration and the Angels might go a long way. More importantly, he also pointed out the legal ramifications for the city if one of the citizen volunteers trained for a mere few months is hurt or killed trying to do the job of a trained officer schooled in multi disciples of crime fighting. Mayor Leighton has done a commendable job in rebuilding the city. His Achilles Heel as a leader has been the perception that he digs in on an issue when he should open up. Having a face to face meeting with the Guardian Angels will cost him nothing politically and only enhance his image as a Mayor who is doing everything it takes to make his city safe.

IZZO AGAIN!

Another familiar voice on WILK this morning was former Wilkes Barre Council candidate Guy Izzo. Izzo ran in 1999 as a Democrat and nearly got one of the 7 seats on Council with an energetic campaign. For years the charismatic Izzo was well known for his work with the South Wilkes Barre Crime Watch Unit.
Full disclosure: This blog editor did Izzo's multi mdia advertising in that race for Wilkes Barre City Council.

6 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it really matter if Boscov's stays or goes? I wouldn't drive into W-B these days for anything. The streets are a mess and crime is out of control.

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hotshot!!!
Everytime I see you going to work in downtown WB or on 'YOU TV you look great. Tell me your dressing secrets and just how much you own? The wife and I have a bet! I say over 50 ties, she says under. I say under 10 suits, she says over. And the shoes, we both think over 20? Care to settle the bet? And one more thing, how much was bought in Boscov's?
ALBERT FLASHER

 
At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the response that claims crime is out of control in downtown WB. Just how is that defined? I have worked there for more than 30 years and have never been victimized. I walk the Square and surrounding areas freely and without fear. Now my WB neighborhood is another story - absentee landlords, college students on a continual bender, drugs and section 8 housing abound. Not that there is always a connection, but, still . . . . AS to the streets being a mess - no argument there. They are a disgraceful conglomeration of potholes and poor patches.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Everytime I see you going to work in downtown WB or on 'YOU TV you look great. Tell me your dressing secrets and just how much you own? The wife and I have a bet! I say over 50 ties, she says under. I say under 10 suits, she says over. And the shoes, we both think over 20? Care to settle the bet? And one more thing, how much was bought in Boscov's?
OH ALBERT, I HOPE YOU'RE NOT A STALKER. OKAY, THE TIES, OVER 90. SO YOU WIN. I CAN'T BEAR TO PART WITH ANY OF THEM. WHEN I MISPLACE ONE, I GO CRAZY. MY FAVORITES ARE THE BEATLES TIES I GOT IN THE 90S (AT BONTON, NOT BOSCOV'S WHEN IT WAS DOWNTOWN) AND A DONNA KARAN SIGNATURE GOLD. ON THE SUITS, YOUR WIFE IS CORRECT, IT IS ABOUT 17 AND NOW THAT I'VE LOST WEIGHT, I GAINED FOUR OLD ONES I CAN STILL WEAR. ON THE SHOES, AT ONE POINT I DID OWN 20 PAIRS BUT SINCE MY ACCIDENT, I ALTERNATE BETWEEN FOUR PAIRS THAT ARE COMFORTABLE FOR MY BACK. I BOUGHT ALL FOUR IN 1991 AT THE CROSSINGS AND WHEN THEY WEAR DOWN, GET THEM FIXED BY A CRAFTSMAN. A SHOEMAKER. I USED TO BUY A LOT OF MY SHIRTS AT BOSCOV'S. i HAVE THAT NUMBER OF SUITS BECAUSE WHEN I WORKED IN BROADCAST SALES, I USED TO HAVE TO SUIT UP EVERYDAY. MOST OF MY CLOTHES ARE WHAT YOU CALL CLASSICS. YOU CAN WEAR THEM IN ANY DECADE. I POINTED THAT OUT IN MY BOOK "26 RULES OF LIFE", WHICH IS STILL AVAILABLE AT LOCAL BOOK STORES. I DO HOWEVER HAVE A PURPLE SUIT I LIKE TO CALL MY TEMPTATIONS SUIT. I WORE IT ONCE TO A FUNCTION AND AN ELDERLY WOMAN CAME UP TO ME AND SAID, "ARE YOU WITH THE POLKA BAND?" HOPE THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION AND SETTLES YOUR BET! WHEN I GET BACK TO WORK, HONK YOUR HORN, WAVE, YELL. JUST DON'T TRY AND KIDNAP ME BECAUSE IT WOULD BE A LOSING PROPOSITION ON YOUR PART. YOU'D HAVE TO PAY MY RELATIVES TO GET RID OF ME!

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN REPONSE
I walk the Square and surrounding areas freely and without fear. Now my WB neighborhood is another story - absentee landlords, college students on a continual bender, drugs and section 8 housing abound. Not that there is always a connection, but, still . . . .
I AGREE. I FEEL SAFE WALKING THE DOWNTOWN ANY TIME OF DAY. THE NEIGHBORHOODS ARE THE THING THAT ARE USED AND ABUSED BY LANDLORDS AND COLLEGE STUDENTS. I THINK MANY OF OUR "TEMPORARY TENANTS" ARE PIGS. I CAN'T TELL YOU THE STUFF I HAVE TO PICK UP IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE VIRTUALLY EVERYDAY BECAUSE JUNIOR AND JUNIORETTE WHO'S MOMMY AND DADDY ARE PAYING KING'S $28,000 GRAND A YEAR TO EDUCATE THESE DOLTS DON'T OR CAN'T PICK UP AFTER THEMSELVES. AND WHEN THE SEMESTER STARTS, THEN THE DRINKING GOES INTO FULL SWING. IT HASN'T BEEN THAT BAD BECAUSE NEXT DOOR WE HAVE SOME COEDS LIVING THERE AND EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE PARTIES, THINGS DON'T GET OUT OF HAND LIKE THEY USED. BUT EVERYTHING IS CYCLICAL AND I'M AWAITING A RETURN OF THE F.O.D.'S (FATHER O'HARA'S DRUNKS) TO MAKE A RETURN TO OUR NEIGHBORHOOD. THE NEIGHBORHOODS ARE WHERE I THINK THE GUARDIAN ANGELS CAN MAKE A REAL DIFFERENCE. AND THE ROADS, WELL, IF I WERE A MILLIONAIRE, THE LAST PLACE I'D BUY A BRAND NEW CAR WOULD BE IN WILKES BARRE.

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you buy clothes, buy a classic. It will outlive you. Rule # 10 from your wonderful book. Speaking of wonderful, too bad Wilkes Barre voters did not see the wisdom in electing a fellow like Guy Izzo. The man cared about the city and knew what he wanted to do. Guy, wherever you are, my best.
POPPINARO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home