Saturday, May 21, 2011

The LuLac Edition #1606, May 21st, 2011

PHOTO INDEX: OUR "INTERVIEW" LOGO.

INTERVIEW

This week I talked to an employee of Luzerne County about the recent elections specifically about the County Council.
Q: What were your thoughts about some of the people picked?
A: Well some were very good, some not so good. But I’m not too worried yet because there is going to be an election and those people have to run against each other.
Q: Are you in a union?
A: Yeah.
Q: Did you vote for the entire union ticket?
A: I can say that I voted for some of them but I vote for the person. Very rarely do I pull the straight ticket. Working in the Courthouse there are a number of good Republicans.
Q: Name one! (Just kidding).
A: No, I know you do a lot of Republican stuff locally. My favorite Republican of all time was Jim Phillips. That guy, well with him you knew where you stood.
Editor;s Note: Jim Phillips served as both a majority and minority commissioner in the 1980s with Frank Trinisewski and Frank Croosin Junior.
Q: I liked Phillips too. He loved Reagan.
A: Yes he did but he was a straight shooter.
Q: Do you have any concern about this new government?
A: Oh yeah, there are no districts and you have an appointed guy. So going by school board logic, it’ll take 6 to pick a county manager. But people like you said Charter Yes. So we got what we got.
Q: There were some candidates on the Council like Eddie Brominski who remember what the Commissioner form of government was about. Is that any comfort?
A: Small. The guy served 20 years ago. I know this is going to sound odd but I’m glad Rick Morelli and Jim Bobeck won. One’s a Dem, the other is a Republican. Both are on the transition committee, both were on the Home Rule Committee. I may not agree with them all the time but they both have knowledge of what the Commission is all about.
Q: And that’ll help in your mind?
A: Yeah, they remind me of the “Rocky” movie where Rocky tells Paulie that he’s marrying Adrian because of “gaps”. They fill each other’s gaps. When this Council starts up, and the politics of it starts up, and you know it will, those two guys can restore some sanity and fill in the gaps.
Q: Good thoughts. Are you going to be working for any candidates?
A: Nope I’m going to do what I’ve been doing for the last few decades. Going to work, doing my job and staying under the radar. Then when the election happens, I’ll say a prayer to St. Jude to look after me until I retire and that’ll be that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home