Sunday, March 10, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2374, March 10th, 2013

Our “Maybe I’m Amazed” logo. 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….about the time it seems to be taking for the College of Cardinals to get to know each other as they meet to pick the next Pope. There is a serious power struggle going on within the Church and you are either going to see a surprise choice or a rather ordinary one. The voting starts Tuesday. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..at the lack of new ideas or even creative thoughts coming from those people who have entered the race for Scranton’s Mayoral seat. There is a paucity of creativity or ideas on how to get the Electric City out of its hole. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that the late Curtis Montz, who passed away a week or so ago at the age of 101 worked at the FM Kirby Center for the Performing Arts well into his late 90s. Montz was long associated with The Boston Store and Boscov’s for years. Plus Montz was in on the ground floor when Al Boscov renovated the old Paramount Theatre into the Kirby Center. He was a great gentleman with a dry, sarcastic wit. I was honored to know and work with him. a few years back.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that I’m not the only one who thought First Lady Michelle Obama’s involvement in the Oscars was just a tad over the top. I could not see any other First Lady crossing that line from First Lady to First fan. Sorry, didn’t fly with me.  
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that few people don’t realize that Seth McFarland, “Family Guy” creator is one lucky guy. He was booked on a Flight out of Boston on September 11th, 2001 but missed the flight due to a hangover.
Geena Davis at the Oscars (albeit years ago) showing off the goods. (Photo: Entertainment.com) 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……….that the screen actress I think is the hottest, Geena Davis actually had a problem with Seth McFarland’s take on women in the movies with his parody of the movies showing some skin. Davis has done a lot for women’s causes with Title IX support but this was a joke. And given some of her past outfits on the red carpet in her salad days, I think she is protesting just a bit too much. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………that every year, I look forward to the Killarny Kapers on WICK/WYCK AM Radio and now the River 104.9FM. Jim Riley and Bobby Vanderheyden did a great job this year chronicling the St. Patrick’s Day Parade with wise cracks, history and wit. Jim Remish was sidelined and was missed but my old friend from Magic and WARM Radio Tom Jenkins did a stellar job doing the sideline reporting. The program which has been on the air for decades has become as much a part of the Scranton St. Patrick’s Day Parade as the Morning Mass before the festivities. Next Saturday, Wilkes Barre has its parade with WYLN TV 35 broadcasting the event. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that with all the huffing and puffing by the Congressional GOP, President Obama got Chuck Hagel as his Defense Secretary and John Brennan as his CIA Director. A President rarely gets denied to name his team so as usual, this was all about the noise instead anything substantial. The only exception to their dismay was Rand Paul’s filibuster. I have no use for someone who says he wants to repeal Civil Right Legislation but his stand was a far cry from sound bite TV answers, he didn’t pull any stunts staying on his question and actually stood for something he believed in. His question was a legitimate one and he did get a detailed answer that was not forthcoming beforehand. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that every time a guy loses a Presidential Election and then gives his first interview, the national press will compliment him and say, “If only he acted like that on the campaign trail! Things would’ve been different. They said it about Robert Dole, Al Gore, John Kerry, John McCain and now Mitt Romney. Romney was on Fox last Sunday and referred to the campaign as a roller coaster ride. I was thinking, “Can you imagine if he said that during the campaign?” The roller coaster jokes and parodies would be endless. But this is now……and that was then. The national press have bigger fish to fry……or burn. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that fresh apples float because 25% of their volume is air. And that includes any fresh apple. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……….that now you can carry a pocket knife on to an airplane!! Are you kidding me? This is dangerous. A pocket knife can be more dangerous than a box cutter. And the excuse they are using is because TSA workers need to concentrate more on finding bombs! A few Transportation entities are opposed to this and I can’t say I blame them. It's an open invitation for mayhem. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that a few weeks after his death, I’m still seeing commercials with the late Surgeon General C. Everett Coop hawking life alert systems for the disabled and elderly. Koop proudly proclaims in the pitch, “I wear one around my neck!”

10 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is my hope that the next Pope is from nations with a growing Catholic population. Either South America or Africa. Wouldn't it be great if he was of a darker skin color? The devout, local Christian Cahtolics would be pitching one hissy fit.
Remember the polish pope jokes? Can you imagine the jokes if he is African? And the heynas still use the N-word as part of their normal daily speech. I would simply love to see how much Christian love would come out of this f---d up racist area.

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Koop proudly proclaims in the pitch, “I wear one around my neck!”

THAT explains the recurring ambulance sitingsorninR at the cemetery.

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And given some of her past outfits on the red carpet in her salad days, I think she is protesting just a bit too much.

No Yonk she let her mask down. Why don't you call it like you see it?

Just another Hollywood hypocrite.

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If memory serves me right, when Benedict was elected pope, it was said that he was just "an interim pope" and that the next one would be the big one. So let's see if any of the predictions were on the mark. Very interesting none the less.

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally I think Geena Davis is overated as an actress and a looker, but I think you might still have a shot when you get healthy again. After all she did marry Jeff Goldblum didnt she?

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, agree with you about the national press and how they tell us if only the losers loosened up. Yeah right. Good observation.
I'm afraid though with Geena Davis, all you see is tall. Just being tall does not a hottie make.

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just being tall does not a hottie make.

No but slow-dancing with a tall girl does! THAT's what the Yonk dreams of.

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey 10:13 AM......NOW I know why the Yonk has such detailed knowledge of women's belts! It was all that slow dancing with the tall girls. I'm not saying the Yonk is short but.......

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

10:13 & 6:15

YES! A telling slip of the tongue for our author.

I suggest a sub-blog: Lu Lac Lasses. Dedicated to the appreciation of everything we men appreciate about our NEPA women.

Pictures? Of course.
Salacious? Maybe.
Sexist? Absolutely.
Respectful? Always.

Come On Yonk, do it as only you can!

We wish you luck in this MENdeavor.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geena Davis, gag me with a spoon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home