Saturday, January 25, 2014

The LuLac Edition #2590, January 25th, 2014

Our “Maybe I’m Amazed” logo.


MAYBE I’M AMAZED

MAYBE I’M AMAZED………that all of a sudden you see Governor Tom Corbett everywhere. The good Governor is making the scene across the state touting energy, talking potholes (The Governor commented on a big one in Wilkes Barre on statewide radio last week) and even speaking about the weather on Talk Radio stations across the Commonwealth. Is this re-election campaign actually making Tom a people person?
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…………that people are critical about Luzerne County Controller Michelle Bednar restructuring her office. Let’s face it, Home Rule has made that office a shell of itself and Bednar needs to pick who she feels will help her get the job done effectively.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that I’m talking to area football fans who are actually pulling for a blizzard on Super Bowl Sunday when the first open air game is played. Regular fans have been priced out of the big game for years and it would be poetic justice to see the 1 percenters trudging through the snow to make it to the big game. Plus this is unfair for Payton Manning who is not a cold weather QB. Not only Manning but think of this, you are an NFL player that dreams of this and you get to this game after busting your butt. Do you not deserve a venue that won’t kill you? However, Manning says he's up for it. So we'll see.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…...that this Chris Christie story seems to be getting more traction in Jersey and beyond. Once the Feds get involved, it slows things down. One must wonder how this will impact on Christie’s Chairmanship of the Republican National Governor’s Conference this year.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that in a recent poll people under 40 could give you the names of two of the judges on American Idol but had trouble picking Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts out of a line up!
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that horses can’t vomit.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that as the year 1964 goes on, you’ll be hearing the name Lyndon Baines Johnson over and over again. This year will be the 50th anniversary of many landmark social and civil rights initiatives spearheaded by Johnson. Much maligned over the Vietnam War, Johnson’s domestic accomplishments seem to have sparked a renaissance for the 36th President.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……at this tidbit. If Hillary Clinton either falls by the wayside or decides not to run for President and if Joe Biden can’t get enough support to coalesce around him, the name being bandied about as a possible nominee in 2016 is, are you ready for this, Secretary of State John Kerry who lost the Presidency in 2004. All of this is unlikely because it seems that the Obama fund raising giants are getting behind Clinton but man, that’s one heck of a scenario though isn’t it?

8 Comments:

At 6:28 AM, Anonymous your friend and political sparring partner said...

Maybe I'm amazed that it is 2006 all over again:
Hilary is the nominee and will be the first woman president.
Hilary was the winner long before the first caucus or primary, then people actually started to vote instead of answer poll questions.
The media had to start reporting facts, and not their wishes and speculations.
Dems want Bill again, so they think they will get that with Hilary, but once the campaign started, it didn't take people long to realize, and it won't take them long to remember....
Hil ain't Bill.... and now she is a much older and worn down version of who she was in 2006-08.
More so, much like after 8 years of W, there will be Dem fatigue and they could resurrect and put up JFK himself, and he would not win.
Hilary could not manage the stress of Sec of State, there is no way she could handle the big chair.
When the phone rings at 3am, I want some one younger, healthy and strong to take the call... Hil is no longer any of those.

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lyndon Johnson: much maligned over the Vietnam war. Would like to know how the Vietnam war was a benefit
to the USA? Maybe you can ask your readers what were the benefits of the Vietnam war to our country?


 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Top 10 Reasons to Vote Democrat in 2014

10. I'll vote Democrat because I love the fact that I can now marry whom and whatever I want. I've decided to marry my German Shepherd.

9. I'll vote Democrat because I believe oil company's profits of 4% on a gallon of gas are obscene, but the government taxing the same gallon of gas at 15% isn't.

8. I'll vote Democrat because I believe the government will do a better job of spending the money I earn than I would.

7. I'll vote Democrat because Freedom of Speech is fine as long as nobody is offended by it.

6. I'll vote Democrat because I'm way too irresponsible to own a gun, and I know that my local police are all I need to protect me from murderers and thieves. I am also thankful that we have a 911 service that get police to
your home in order to identify your body after a home invasion.

5. I'll vote Democrat because I'm not concerned about millions of babies being aborted so long as we keep all death row inmates alive and comfy.

4. I'll vote Democrat because I think illegal aliens have a right to free health care, education, and Social Security benefits, and we should take away the Social Security from those who paid into it.

3. I'll vote Democrat because I believe that businesses should NOT be allowed to make profits for themselves. They need to break even and give the rest away to the government for redistribution as the Democrats see fit.


2. I'll vote Democrat because I believe judges need to rewrite the Constitution every few days to suit some fringe kooks who would never get their agendas past the voters.

and the No. 1 reason I'll vote Democrat is:

1. I'll vote Democrat because I think that it's better to pay billions for their oil to people who hate us, but not drill our own because it might upset some endangered beetle, gopher, fish or frog.

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm NOT Amazed that in a recent poll people under 40 could give you the names of (insert any generation's pop culture headliners here) but had trouble picking (insert any older generation's perceived politician of importance here) out of a line up!

Come on Yonk, they did that to us with the Beatles.
Surely you must remember.
Let's face it: we didn't care UNLESS and UNTIL we were affected or had some odd attraction to things (now considered a characteristic of autism with all the standard drug treatment and concerns.)

BTW: Quick! How about your calls on the Grammys!!!
Me? Talk about not being able to pick some folks out of a line up! That's the rappers saving grace!

 
At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I attended the Grammys in 1974 as a Record Label Rep. There was no red carpet and very little hoopla. It was a big night for industry people.
It has become an over the top media extravaganza which I didnt watch. I am glad to have the memory, but you couldnt drag me to todays awards. A
lot can change in 40 years especially in the music business.

Pete

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who says Hillary couldnt manage the stress of Sec of State? She traveled more and accomplished more than any previous Sec in memory. She did a good job and that comes from a subjective point of view on the part of a non Hillary fan going in. Site one tragic incident where four died all you want, but multiply that 4 by 1000 and then some to get the previous administrations death toll.
I dont know if she will ever run let alone become president, but admit this, she was one hell of an intelligent hard working cabinet member and thats the facts!


RGB

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Your Friend and Political Sparing Partner said...

Sorry RGB but I never mentioned the Bengazi.
Just look at her, the stress of Sec of States shows on her person, she looks as if she aged 20 years in the 4 that she served.

That is not subjective. I saw her on ABC about a year ago sitting next to the president. She looked awful. In the latest interview I watched over on politico, she has ballooned up, especially in her face. These are outward physical expressions of a body trying to cope with great stress.
The presidency ages everyone, and after Reagan, we don't need some one of those advanced years, she is 66 now, the election is 2 years away and her birthday is in October, she will be 69 at the time of the election and 73 at the end of her first term. There is no doubt Reagan's Alzheimer's was hastened by the presidency. And even for his advanced age, he was a fit person, Hilary is not physically fit in even the most generous usage of the phrase. The country doesn't need someone on the cusp of 70, someone already beaten down by the highest level cabinet position, sitting in the oval office.
It isn't about liking or disliking her.. honestly if people close to her care about her, they will do their best to dissuade her. If Sec of State took such a toll on her, imagine what the presidency will do to her?

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

6:01
I wasnt advocating her for the presidency and agree with much of what you say. She looks like it took a toll perhaps because she put a great deal into it. I have no confidence in Kerry and dont trust him. And yes being president aged them all except perhaps for Reagan who kept his hair dye handy. Also at my advanced age (67) I was aware enough to know you didnt mention Bengazi. It is however a current rallying cry so I noted it. Thats all.
We are as stated probably more in agreement than not as I have read your posts in the past and they usually make good sense to me.

RGB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home