Tuesday, January 06, 2015

The LuLac Edition #2812, January 6th, 2015

THE NEW CONGRESS


80% Male.
80% White
92% Christian.
If they fail, we’ll know who to blame.

BOEHNER BACK!!!!

Beating back a challenge from The Tea Party coalition John Boehner returns as Speaker. The Speaker just re-elected should realize that he will never, ever please The Tea Party factor in the Congress. He would be wise enough to build relationships with members of his own party, Democrats who can work with Republicans (calling Matt Cartwright!!) and try to not renege on any “deals” or “bargains” he makes with the White House. Bohner’s behavior regarding the White House has been deplorable. It is HE who needs to build and regain trust with The White House…….not The President.

MERRITT NEW WB COUNCIL CHAIR
Wilkes Barre Councilman Mike Merritt. (Photo: Citizen's Voice).
Mike Merritt City Councilman from The North end has become the New Chair of Wilkes Barre City Council. Bill Barrett relinquished the top spot in favor of Mr. Merritt. Political observers are wondering if there is a reason for having Mr. Merritt in a more pronounced position. Without a doubt as Vice Chair he earned it. But Merritt in the days ahead will be an interesting guy to watch.

THE BUSHES @ 70

One of my favorite ex Presidents George Herbert Walker Bush and his wife Barbara celebrated 70 years of marriage today. Seven decades! They never wrote a how to book, never did any chest thumping, just woke up everyday and worked at their marriage with respect, friendship humor and dignity.

JANUARY 6th, 1980
35 years ago today  my father Stephen "Jake" Yonki died at the age of 66. If anyone ever tells you its gets easier...........it doesn't. A few years after his death, a friend of our family asked my sister and me if we thought it might be a good idea to do one of those ads in the paper commemorating his birthday with one of those ads that read "Happy Birthday in Heaven". My sister and I looked at each other and said in unison, "No, he'd kill us!" That's why we still miss him!

7 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Anonymous PJ pribula said...

I was only 17 when your dad passed. I was at a friends home after school and I remember calling home to see about getting a ride home. It was then that my mom told me of your dads passing. I have many fond memories of sitting on your parents front porch high up on the hill overlooking the Coxton Rail Yard and watching with great interest the trains moving about the rail yard below with your dad telling me just what was going on as he worked for the railroad. I could rember that my dad an I would haul ashes from our furnace up to your parents home each week for use filling in an empty lot and then spend time visiting with your mom and dad. As a young man growing up in the Pribula/Seman/Yonki/Dziak Families we, like all our cousins, were blessed to be around so many great aunts and uncles and your dad was one of the best. Thanks for posting the picture!

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny you don't hold the HNC responsible for a damn thing that went amiss these last 6 years but already to lay blame on those who haven't even had a chance to begin. GFY

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

Anonymous PJ Pribula said..
IN RESPONSE
P.J.
Thank you for the kind words about my father. I posted your response before I went to work on this cold frigid morning. I was going to wear my regular winter clothes but because it was so cold out there I fished out a long overcoat, 20 years old, that I rarely wear. Like those Slovak dads, uncles and relatives it was built to last. But because it is so heavy, as I said it has to be very cold for me to wear it. So I’m putting it on, gathering my stuff and shoving some gloves in the left side pocket. As I was doing so, I found a prayer card that you get when you go to wakes and funerals. Mrs. LuLac usually takes care of this task when we go to wakes. But when I pulled it out and looked at it, I was stunned. Keep in mind this was just minutes after I posted your thoughts. It was a prayer card from your father’s funeral with the date of his death, Feb. 17th, 2011.
As you know I’m a JFK/EMK Catholic, I go to church just in case……..but don’t tell me these guys still aren’t talking to each other somewhere in that great beyond!

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

Funny you don't hold the HNC responsible for a damn thing that went amiss these last 6 years but already to lay blame on those who haven't even had a chance to begin. GFY
IN RESPONSE
I’m really sorry. I can’t figure out what you mean by HNC. I even googled it but I’m at a loss.
BTW…I understand GFY perfectly.

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like many long term marriages George was smart enough to realize that no matter what rank and honor he achieved, Bar was the one in charge. Its worked for me and its been 45 years now.
I admire and respect the first Pres Bush and I believe he served his country to the best of his ability.
He is an American and a rare one at that.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, many of us share your loss as wll as your memories. I lost my father on December 20, 1977 and it still feels like yesterday. He ws bor in 1900 so that made him 77 at his passing and I was 34. Yes I had and enjoyed him for 34 years but I still call him Dad as I would as a toodler...... Never thought I culd live life knowing that he was not there for support. I miss the heck out of him and even today, 37 years later I still vist his and my mother's grave almost weekly just to get that "close" feeling. Yep, I know and understand your feelings. Wil

 
At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Joe V said...

George and Barbara are class acts. Anyone in politics should take a lesson from them

 

Post a Comment

<< Home