Saturday, November 02, 2019

The LuLac Edition #4,154, November 2nd, 2019

INTERVIEW 


Our "Interview" logo 

WILKES-BARRE DISTRICT B CANDIDATE INTERVIEWS

There doesn’t seem to be lot of contested races this time around in Election 2019  at least on Wilkes-Barre City Council. But a contest that has generated some interest has been the Tony Brooks/Mark Shaffer face-off in Wilkes-Barre’s District B. We asked both candidates some questions and here are their answers.The format we chose was to ask the same queries and publish them as answered by the candidates. 
Both men have been campaigning relentlessly since the May primary and have a staunch, loyal base of support. The district makes up the Iron Triangle, Rolling Mill Hill section as well as parts of downtown Wilkes-Barre. The seat, which Brooks won in 2015 was previously held by Mayor Tony George. 
Editor's note: Candidates chosen in alphabetical order of last name).

TONY BROOKS INCUMBENT REPUBLICAN 

What can you offer residents of the city as their representative for the next 4 years if elected?

My undivided attention. When residents call me, I immediately visit them at their house to take care of their neighborhood concern by cutting through the bureaucratic red tape of City Hall. I will also continue to attend all monthly meetings of the three neighborhood groups that are in my district: Rolling Mill Hill Residents’ Association, Downtown Residents’ Association and South Wilkes-Barre Residents’ Association. I will continue to leverage my good working relationship will all City departments to get things down for the residents. I will also continue to attend the monthly meeting of the Rolling Mill Hill – Iron Triangle – Mayflower – Goose Island Crime Watch group. I will continue to provide my private cell phone to the public for instant contact.

What would your timeline on getting back to constituents if they had an issue?

Immediately upon receiving a call to my cell phone which is 570-793-3631. I am proud that I make instant house calls to residents. I have been at residents’ houses all hours of the day including as early as 8:00 am and as late as 10:30 pm.

How do you see your role as a councilman in a district as diverse as B?

When I was elected in 2015, I immediately founded the Rolling Mill Hill Residents’ Association to bring together the diverse part of District B. I reached out to the diverse Hazle Street merchants and asked them for their input on creating a Neighborhood Business District. I facilitated a neighborhood meeting regarding the new mural at Spruce Street Park to ensure it reflected the neighborhood’s diversity. I also attend and support all diverse ethnic church and synagogue events in the district.

Where do you think the greatest amount can come from in your candidacy?

My immediate and continued contact with residents on a 24-hour basis. I will also continue to advocate for the concerns of lower income senior citizens and always vote “NO” on any property tax increase and advocate for an increase to the tax rebate program from the state government in Harrisburg. Property taxes are the greatest concern of senior citizens and they deserve to remain in their homes.

What makes you different than your opponent?

I deal with residents immediately by providing my private cell phone. In contrast to my opponent who still uses a Connecticut cell phone number that has been an issue of concern with senior citizens who think they must make a long-distance phone call to get in touch with him. I also have long term relationships with the residents since I was born in the district and was a child growing up at the Parrish Street Pool. I know every street, lane and back alley of the district.

Do you have any future aspirations you’d like to share with Wilkes Barre residents and LULAC readers?

I have no political aspirations other than to continue to serve on City Council. My greater aspirations for the City of Wilkes-Barre is to ensure more job creation, cleaner and safer streets and ensure the preservation of our historic architecture. 

FaFacebook link https://www.facebook.com/TonyBrooksWB


MARK SHAFER DEMOCRAT CHALLENGER

What can you offer residents of the city as their representative for the next 4 years if elected?

I can offer the residents of District B and the city at large a fresh perspective on the issues and opportunities that our community faces and concrete plans for how to tackle them. For too long in Wilkes-Barre becoming involved in politics has been about who you know rather than what you know, which is far more important. As someone who doesn't come from the old boys network I can bring a fresh set of eyes to the problems of the city.
I studied economics in college and have a professional background in workforce development. This gives me a deep familiarity with the policies that will help push Wilkes-Barre forward. We need to stop electing politicians based on knowing the “right” people and elect representatives to City Council who actually have the skills and knowledge to address the challenges we face. From landbanking to confronting housing problems to coordinating grant funding to fix our roads there are plenty of new ideas that could bring real progress to the residents of the city if we elect individuals bold enough to implement them.

What would your timeline on getting back to constituents if they had an issue?

I regularly check my email, facebook, and all other means of communication. I will make sure to at the very least respond within a week but will most likely respond within 24 hours.

How do you see your role as a councilman in a district as diverse as B?

The role of any council member is to be the voice of their constituents. We must listen to the people of the district to obtain a variety of perspectives and as much information as possible on various problems residents face. We also must go beyond listening and actually work to address these concerns through serious and bold policies. It is simply not enough to hear reports of tall grass on a city-owned property and call DPW repeatedly until it is mowed. We need elected officials who attack the root causes of the number of abandoned properties, the shortage of workers at DPW, and the other systemic challenges Wilkes-Barre faces. A politician who can only call in small favors because they grease the right wheels is incapable of seriously addressing Wilkes-Barre’s challenges, and is also not able to provide real solutions that may shake up the old networks of influence that have a grip on our City. To seriously address the problems our district faces, we need elected officials with big ideas for bold reform I will be that official.

Where do you think the greatest amount can come from in your candidacy?

The greatest amount of positive change I see coming from my campaign is in bringing new policy ideas front and center . Politicians who previously never mentioned land banking before are now publicly saying that they have been looking into it for a long time and would like to implement a plan here. Such a policy was never discussed to such a degree before my campaign and that is why I ran. By centering policy proposals that actually address the problems in resident’s lives this campaign has brought progressive policy ideas to the attention of those in power, which will make it easier to enact such policies once I am elected.

What makes you different than your opponent?

Our party difference is important here. My opponent likes to try and muddle his party affiliation because he knows it is not representative of the district. Brooks is a Republican, and represents the values of the Republican party. Full stop. I am a Democrat because they are the party of the working class regardless of race, gender, sexuality,or other differences. The Republican party is the party of caring for those who already hold wealth and power. If someone is a Republican in a largely Democratic city like Wilkes-Barre that tells you that they have a firm commitment to the core mission of the Republican party: protecting the monied and comfortable.
In addition, we have a difference in views of the role of a city council member. Through his votes, policies proposals, and other actions, Brooks has demonstrated he is more interested in promoting himself and his pet projects. I believe the role of a councilperson is to serve the community and develop long-term solutions to our constituents’ problems, and that is what I pledge to do when I am elected.

Do you have any future aspirations you’d like to share with Wilkes Barre residents and LULAC readers?

My aspirations are focused on improving the quality of life in the city. I aspire to have a city with good infrastructure, a harm reduction centered strategy to tackle the opioid epidemic, and quality housing that is not neglected by bad landlords. I want Wilkes-Barre to live up to its potential, and be a city where other young people like myself see themselves building their future. All of this can be accomplished if we work together to win this election.

Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/laxmanshaffer


2 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A WEEK??????????????????????
Are you fucking shitting me???

Mr. Yonki,
You have been around a long time. Have you ever heard of anything so ludicrous?
Go back to Connecticut you entitled little snowflake.

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... let's see...if you call Brooks with a problem he calls back immediately. The other guy might take a week.

Some decisions are easy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home