Tuesday, March 05, 2024

The LuLac Edition #5,075, March 5th,2024

 MAYBE I'M AMAZED



Our “Maybe I’m Amazed” logo. 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that the Republicans in Congress have no moral leadership. I grew up in an era where Republican members like Gerald Ford, Bob Michel, 

and even to a certain extent Newt Gingrich would work with the other side to get things done. Not anymore, there seems to be a “my way or the highway” attitude that has rendered the last Congress impotent.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED……but not really at the way Donald Trump reacted to Nikki Haley’s win in the D.C. caucus/primary. The man has no graceful bone in his body.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that college basketball and the NCAA still allow court storming after a close win. Are you kidding me? Players can get hurt as happened recently when Duke’s Kyle Filipowski injured his knee when he collided with a fan. And it led to the latest round of impassioned calls to keep fans off the court and away from players.  “This gotta change,” Filipowski wrote on social media. He also said the collision felt “personal, intentional for sure. There’s no reason where they see a big guy like me trying to work my way off the court and they can’t just work around me. There’s no excuse for that.”  Totally agree.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED………that our Governor Josh Shapiro continues to impress with innovative programs aimed at all population demographics in the state. Plus he’s making a national name for himself being interviewed on Cable News channels regarding his defense of President Biden’s record.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED………that continually people seem to underestimate the President in his skills, capabilities and record. I don’t care how the guy walks. At any age past 60, as I told my late mother and as I remind myself, “We all must walk deliberately”. Hell,  the Pope is 87 and no one is asking him to resign or step down.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that the not so Supreme court was unanimous in reversing the Colorado ruling against Trump, but there was disagreement about how far the court went. Justices Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson wrote a concurring opinion saying the majority decided more than it had to, ruling on “novel constitutional questions to insulate this Court” and Trump “from future controversy.”

MAYBE I’M AMAZED………but not really that closing in on 25 years, ESPN’s Pardon the Interruption is one of ESPN’s most popular shows, Originally recorded at Atlantic Video's facilities in Washington, the show now occupies space at ABC News' Washington bureau. Voice actress Kat Cressida lends her voice to commercial bumpers for the series and has since its premiere.  The show isa hosted by Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon. Kornheiser began exclusively hosting from his home upon the show's return from its 2020 Covid-19 hiatus, though he made an in-studio appearance on December 5, 2023 but cautioned to viewers "Don't get used to it".  The show won a Sports Emmy Award for Outstanding Studio Show in 2009, 2016, and 2019.

 


MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that it was just a short 55 years ago that Mickey Mantle retired. Mantle is regarded as one of the best players of the 50s and 60s In his career, Mantle batted .298 with an on-base percentage of .421 and an on-base plus slugging percentage of .997. He accumulated 2,415 hits, including 536 home runs, 344 doubles, and 72 triples. While Mantle led the league in strikeouts five times, holding the all-time record at the time of his retirement, he was also adept at drawing walks. He led the majors in walks five times and finished with at least 100 walks in a season ten times.  As an outfielder, he recorded a career fielding percentage of .982.  Mantle was selected as an All-Star every season during his 18-year career except for 1951 and 1966. He was a seven-time World Series champion with the Yankees, playing in twelve overall. In the World Series, he hit .257 over 65 games and holds the all-time World Series records for home runs (18), runs scored (42), and RBIs (40).

MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that even for non-Irish people, Corned Beef and cabbage is the meal of the month in March in many households.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED….that the recent WVIA TV special from T.J. Lubinski on Steve and Eydie Gorme was just right up y alley. Man was it ever a great tribute to a pair of great entertainers. What was equally amazing is that Steve Lawrence is still alive at the age of 88 and Gorme died in 2013. Here’s the iconic song written By Steve Allen that the duo sang with a few friends. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home