Monday, August 13, 2012

The LuLac Edition #2157, August 13th, 2012

Our “13 Questions” logo. 

13 QUESTIONS 


1. Okay Yonk, the battle lines are drawn. Obama/Biden, Romney/Ryan. Final outcome? 

C’mon there’s many more miles to go on this election before we sleep. But if you want a wild ass prediction, I’ll give you one. Romney will win but he will be picked by the House of Representatives. This election will be so close that it will wind up in the House. Satisfied? 

2. Many people have commented on your blog that you seem a lot meaner and very bitter. Care to defend yourself? 

No. But I will say this. A co worker asked me the other day if I was a Democrat or A Republican. I said that I had always been a Democrat but that many times I voted for more Republicans than I did Democrats. My father ribbed me mercilessly for months because I voted for (these are his words now, not mine) “Henry” Ford in the ’76 election. I always was a registered Democrat for most of my life (twice I turned Republican for a short time) but voted for the person. However the actions of the Republican party since this century started have made it virtually impossible for me to even voting for an “R”. The party has done so much damage to this country by ballooning the deficit (it kills me when I hear that Obama is the reason we are trillions in debt) not compromising and by just plain lying. So in a strange sort of way, the national GOP has done what even my father or my late uncle Timmy Pribula could do, and that was get me to vote straight Democratic. In the rear view mirror are my votes for Bob Dole, Arlen Specter, Bush 41, Tom Ridge and Dick Thornburgh. When a party is so hell bent on working against your interests, how could you trust them? So yes, to answer your question I have become more partisan as a strong national Democrat. On the local level, my anger is not directed at any individual county worker. It is the entire system that has almost become a new class. I’m told there are people working in that Courthouse that couldn’t pass a simple skills test that an entry level Vo Tech student has to take. I have worked for a few national companies and pass my observations along not to be bitter but to just give an opinion. Blogs and thoughts evolve. I always thought that as I got older, I’d be more conservative. Turns out I’m not. I’m more liberal and uncompromising than ever before. And the lack of compromise by the national GOP took me from being a swing voter to a firm Democrat. Plus I’m getting older and really don’t give a damn anymore. 

3. Has anyone gone from the House of Representatives to President? 

One. James Garfield in the election of 1880. Gerald Ford was in the House but became Vice President before becoming President. 

4. What do you think of that new show on USA called “Political Animals”? 

I think it really stinks. Predictable story lines, buffoonish characters. Horrible. 

5. How are you getting along without minor league baseball this summer? 

Not even thinking about it. Tune in to a few games on the radio and going to see the new Coke A Cola park sometime this month. But not wanting to slit my wrists over it. 

6. Any thoughts on the proposed new names for the team? 

The Blast, the Black Diamond Bears, The Fireflies, The Porcupines, The Railroaders and the Trolley Frogs are the picks. Only two are half decent, the Black Diamond Bears and the Railroaders. But the rest of them are really stupid. Mrs. LuLac came up with the ‘Nor’easters”, putting a regional touch on things. Watch, some overpaid flunky from the Wilkes Barre or Scranton Chamber is going to get a $150,000 grant to do a study on the feasibility of that name. Then we’ll still wind up with a stupid name like The Porcupines. 

7. What do you think of the fact that Mitt Romney refers to Paul Ryan sometimes as his sixth son? 

Kind of creeps me out to tell you the truth. Especially with Anne Romney standing by. 

8. Do you think there is anything to the fact that a lot of Democrats are staying away from the National Convention in North Carolina? 

The state is a right to work state and any candidate that has union support will most likely take that into consideration. I don’t think its an anti Obama thing as much as a candidate just trying to get re-elected. Politicians understand that. It’s a type of code. But to be honest, Charlotte, North Carolina isn’t Chicago, New Orleans, Miami, Boston or San Diego. I mean, it’s just Charlotte for Pete’s sake. 

9. Did you make it to the “Peach Fest?” 

No but my boss went and I know she thoroughly enjoyed it. The last concert I was at up the Mountain was for Tony Bennett and K.D. Lange. 

10. Have you tried your hand at writing a children’s book yet? 

Interesting that you ask that. A few years back, I had a story outline and even had an illustrator who was interested. But the main character’s name of my children’s book was already taken and published. God knows I get accused of plagiarizing here by a few people taking potshots, can you imagine the outcry if I didn’t check that out? I’m trying to rework the story but the name was the key to the whole deal. 

11. Were you/are you a big Penn State fan? 

My dad and I never really followed College Football that much. I mean we had a working knowledge of it but were more into the NFL. Maybe it had a lot to do with chores on Saturday and more free time on Sunday after church. But even as an adult, I’d follow the season, but only watch a Bowl Game or one that they said really counted. My brother in law Owen is a real die hard but I wasn’t. I had the shirts and the hats but never had the desire to go to Beaver Stadium. I hope they make a recovery from this disaster because the kids there now don’t deserve to be painted with the Sandusky brush of shame. 

12. Do you think they should have taken the statue down and Joe Pa’s wins away from him?

The statue proved that the Postal Service has it right. They don’t give anyone a stamp until their dead ten years. So that didn’t bother me but taking away the wins did. While the leadership at Penn State did nothing to stop Jerry Sandusky, (which was wrong), keep in mind that Jerry Sandusky was not part of the coaching staff for those wins that were eradicated. Those football players that spent hours practicing and risking injury to play in those now invisible games should not have their hard work expunged because of a pervert who had nothing to do with the wins and losses. If my kid were on the field for those seasons and his accomplishments were erased, I’d even be more upset. 

13. Do you think Andy Reid should have come back to coach the Eagles the day after he buried his son for an Exhibition game? 

Tough call. Reid was there for his late son through the child’s tough times. Maybe football is good therapy. A parent can only do so much for an addicted child. I’m not sure whether Reid’s son’s death was a result of that but he was just 29. I once told a few people that if I had a choice between having my child (if I had one) be addicted to alcohol and drugs or have cancer (and I had cancer myself) I’d hope he or she had cancer. In my work at United Way as well as people I know personally, plus the work I saw my friend Edd Raineri do with kids addicted to drugs, along with Carmen Ambrosino’s work at Wyoming Valley Alcohol and Drug, I saw how first hand how insidious that disease is. With cancer, you have at least a chance of cutting it out. How do you cut an addiction from one’s mind and soul? No judgments here on whether Andy Reid did the right or wrong thing.

12 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the names really suck! Who would wanna cheer on a Trolley Frog?
Red Barons was a good name looking back. This enterprise is doomed.

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See what happens in Scranton/Wilkes Barre? We overreact. People weren't crazy about the SWB Yankees. So the judges took away all semblence of anything to do with Yankees and come up with these finalists. Call them the SWB Babees, with the logo being a flying kid and tub going over a cliff. Because this is what we do here, throw the baby out with the bath water.

 
At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Pope George Ringo said...

I haveto say that despite disagreeing adamantly with his views, I truly do hold respect for Cong. Ryan. He is totally candid on what he wants to do by way of his budget.
The Ryan budget is now the Romney budget as of Saturday.
No matter how much the GOP super pacs or the liberal super pacs throw into this election there will be no question that the voting public will know what they are getting with both candidates.
Want to see medicare gutted and the upcoming privativzation of Social Security, go with Romney. It's that simple.
And to be honest, if thats what the people want, we live in a free country and just let them have it.
Yet, with this pick, something tells me this election will be far from close from now on.
With all due respect, Yonk, I don't see it ending up in the House. Obama takes Fla. Pa. for sure. That's the game. Hell, he may even take Ohio.
IF not, good luck seniors and soon to be seniors!!! As the great GHW Bush stated once: "watch your wallet".

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Professor Milburn Cleaver, OPA said...

Good morning Students,
I apologize for not being present on my scheduled day of Tuesday last. As it turned out, my vacation/sabbatical down South was going so well that I decided to tag on a few extra days. My friends who come from the world of academia and medicine were very insightful as to the condition of this country and where it will eventually head. I told them that I was so impressed that I bestow a grade of A+ on them. They laughed uproariously, as it is common knowledge that in my entire career I have never given an A + to anyone. Needless to say, a wonderful time was had by all. If you have not been to Myrtle Beach SC, I suggest you do so before you die. Fresh air, sunshine and a good game of golf are just what the doctor ordered.

The business of this classroom goes forward……

Students,
Let me take this opportunity to congratulate Pres. Elect-Romney on his choice of Cong. Paul Ryan for Vice President. Young Mr. Ryan is an astute leader in the GOP. He has a reputation on BOTH sides of the aisle for knowing his “stuff”. In other words, ingrates, Mr. Ryan does his RESEARCH!!!! If I had a classroom only 25 percent full of Paul Ryan’s it would be a pleasure to travel here everyday. Alas, the real world has left me you slackers.

Vice President Elect Ryan is a visionary. He understands the Ponzi scheme that is Medicare and Social Security. He understands the chains that have been tied around the corporate world with extreme taxation. And more importantly, he has a plan to deal with it. I will not bore you all with the details as I can tell most of you are still weeding off of your weekend hangovers. But I all suggest you take the time to read his budget. I have never seen such a paper full of common sense in my lifetime.

Come Jan. 20th, I will be proud to put my head on the pillow that night knowing that the nation is in the hands of President Romney and Vice-President Ryan. If only John Bolton could be Secretary of State it would be perfect!!!
As I am in such a joyous mood this morning, and I see the the Budweiser or the cocaine has not worn off yet, I will tell you happily…..

Class Dismissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The conservative base and the media swooned after Palin, too... here's the difference: While Palin was just plain dumb, Ryan is smart... problem is that his positions, which he will advocate for at the top of his lungs, are unpalatable to Americans. His Medicare proposal alone will cost Romney any hope of winning Florida, Pennsylvania, and Ohio, where seniors are a large portion of the electorate.

Will he release his tax returns? If so, will Romney? If he doesn't, and Romney doesn't, then both of them are tainted and shady, and it won't bode well for the GOP ticket. Also, the base will only keep "loving" Ryan as long as he doesn't center himself... when he debates the Vice-President, he won't win any more votes unless he centers on some important issues and backtracks the budget he championed, and when he does, the base will brand him a traitor.

In my opinion, Romney just went from "Probably Gonna Lose" to "Definitely Gonna Lose". He'll wrap up the right, for sure, but without independents, a strong showing among women, and some Democrats (all of whom this ticket alienates and automatically writes off), they're pretty much screwed.

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure how many times Mitt has to say that Medicare must change and that those who are in it and almost in it WON'T be affected. Those that that will be affected will be provided a workable and tennible option.

I'm tired of the govt. limiting my choices via laws, regulations and decree. We cannot follow the Greek model and remain liquid.

I'm going republican because I can't stand where we are heading.

 
At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I’m told there are people working in that Courthouse that couldn’t pass a simple skills test that an entry level Vo Tech student has to take."

You are not happy insulting county employees at every opportunity but now you denigrate "Vo Tech" students as well. Apparently only idiots with a bare minimum IQ are qualified for a "Vo Tech" education and county workers are not even that qualified. How low can you go?

It now appears to me that it is not just your body that is crippled but your thinking process has obviously reached a low that even I didn't think you could reach.

I don't feel sorry for you Yonki, and I don't piety you. I simply look down on you.

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am genuinly in disbelief ovr the vo-tech comment.

Whoever wrote it before hit the nail on the head. Yonki is becoming the blog equivlant of Steve Corbett. He is full of hatred, anger and blame. Facts don't matter and he doesn't care who he insults.

If I remember correctly, Lulac was started because Yonki didn't like all that in blogs. He was committed to having a different type of blog.

It seems that his committment has waned..

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Professor, Here is Rep. Ryan's legislative record. In 13 years as a congressman he has been successful in getting only 2 bills passed into law. In 2000 he introduced a bill that passed into law that renamed a a post office that was located in his district. In 2008 he got legislation passed that changed the way arrows(as in bows & arrows) are taxed. Instead of a 12.4% tax ratels the sale price arrows are now taxed 39 cents per arrow. Cong. Ryan is an avid bow hunter. As you have excitedly posted Rep. Ryan is an ASTUTE LEADER and a real VISIONARY.
As far of the CHAINS that have been tied around the corporate world, another myth. The real tax rate paid by corporations in the US is actually around 12%. A rate much lower than most of their foreign competitors.
One last thought, you have not been doing very well with predictions lately. Remember your July job numbers prediction? So don' t put all your money on what may happen in November.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

I am genuinly in disbelief ovr the vo-tech comment.
I'M ASTOUNDED THAT YOU GUYS THINK I WAS INSULTING VO TECH STUDENTS. I WASN'T. VO TECH STUDENTS TAKE KEYBOARDING IN THE 7TH AND 8TH GRADES. AND SOONER. THEY ARE LEARNING BASIC EXCELL AND WORD APPLICATIONS BECAUSE EVEN THEIR TECHNICAL JOBS IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR DEMAND IT. MY REFERENCE WAS THAT SOME, NOT ALL PEOPLE UNDER THE DOME DON'T EVEN HAVE THOSE ENTRY LEVEL SKILLS. AND FROM WHAT I HEAR, SOME AREN'T WILLING TO LEARN. MY INTENT WAS NOT TO INSULT A VO TECH STUDENT WHO IS VASTLY PREPARED TO ENTER INDUSTRY OR START HIS OR HER OWN BUSINESS BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING THE SKILLS.
Facts don't matter and he doesn't care who he insults.
If I remember correctly, Lulac was started because Yonki didn't like all that in blogs. He was committed to having a different type of blog.
TIMES HAVE CHANGED SINCE I STARTED MY SITE IN 2006. WE HAVE HAD A LOT OF STUFF COME DOWN THE PIKE AND I HAVE TO GIVE OPINIONS ON IT. I'M NOT INSULTING ANYONE. AS HARRY TRUMAN ONCE SAID, "PEOPLE THINK I'M GIVING THEM HELL. I'M ONLY TELLING THE TRUTH AND THEY THINK IT'S HELL".
It seems that his committment has waned.
HARDLY.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your committment to a different kind of blog has changed. Times may change, but honor never does. You haven't honored your original committment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home