Friday, September 01, 2006

The LuLac Edition #53, September 2, 2006











PICTURE INDEX: Maria Sharapova on her game, Luzerne County Commissioner Todd Vonderheid, "Inkin' the Abs...or the Valley", L.A. Tarone, Senator Rick Santorum, State Treasurer Robert Casey, and shots of Sharipova.


CASEY/SANTORUM HEATS UP..........Democratic challenger Bob Casey Jr.'s lead over Republican Sen. Rick Santorum remains virtually the same ias it was in May. But with Election Day just a few weeks away, Casey hasn't connected with nearly half the state's voters.
Of the voters surveyed, 18 percent said they were undecided in their opinions on Casey and 31 percent just plain didn't know enough about him to form an opinion. According to the poll, Casey has 44 percent of the vote while Republican Santorum is close behind with 39 percent.
Meanwhile, Gov. Rendell maintains a substantial lead over ex-Pittsburgh Steeler Lynn Swann, 53 percent to 34 percent.
The poll shows Santorum is still in much the same position as he was in May, with favorable ratings of 37 percent and not favorable of 37 percent. This despuite a deluge of very clever, funny, engaging and poignant TV ads.
Many Pennsylvanians polled have very strong feelings against Santorum, with 26 percent saying they plan to vote against him. And Santorum also suffers from the anger toward Bush. A total of 46 percent say that Santorum too often supports Bush's policies.
Meanwhile, the Green Party's candidate appeared to be drawing more from independents than from Democrats, so it is unclear how much the Green Party candidate could act as a potential spoiler.

TARONE SHOW BREAKS IT DOWN AND SCOOPS IT……………..The recent L.A. Tarone show on WLYN broke down the Senate race in terms that were easy to understand. The polls Tarone showed was Santorum coming on strong and rebounding from the hole he was in earlier in the campaign year. Casey on the other hand remains a blank slate with many Pennsylvania voters. This could prove to be a problem because among the unknown is also the undecided.
Also on Tarone’s show, Luzerne County Commissioner Todd Vonderheid said that until the New Year, he would not entertain any rumors that he is leaving his post to go back to work at the Wilkes Barre Chamber of Commerce. Vonderheid has been mentioned as a successor to Steve Barourk who resigned earlier this summer. Vonderheid’s background is in economic development and many agree he’d be a natural fit for the Chamber vacancy. Vonderheid however told Tarone until he and his wife have a discussion about any change, there is really nothing to wonder and ponder about.

MUST SEE TV THIS WEEKEND…………………..CASEY/ SANTORUM ON THE MEET THE PRESS AND OF COURSE, S H A R A P O V A AT THE U.S. OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN OTHER TV NEWS…….
WYOU TV begins its interactive news program on Tuesday September the 5th. This should be an interesting experiment in local TV news history……..Kevin Lynn and Nancy Kman recently were on PCN TV. Both did great jobs. My problem with Lynn is the way he makes disparaging remarks about himself, his appearance and conduct on PCN. He carries it off well and after all used to be a TV guy on a national and local level. He did not act, look or sound like a moron as he suggested. Some of his callers………………..well……………………maybe. Great job again on PCN as well as great exposure for the station………….On the Sue Henry show Friday, the talk show host took issue with a Tourism spot for the state that features Governor Ed Rendell touted the city of Pittsburgh as a great place to visit and “his kind of town”. Henry took issue with the fact that over $250,000 was spent to market one end of the state to the other. This is pretty common in the state tourism business, especially with a state the size of Pennsylvania. The fact that there is a smiling Governor Ed touting Pittsburgh raises all kinds of political implication. He needs some help in Western Pennsylvania to deflate the notion that he is the “Governor of Philadelphia” .It would seem that he might be taking unfair advantage of his incumbency but the new administration hires the ad agency and you can bet that when this was brought to their attention, they all said in unison “Yeah Boss, great idea”. Even though Henry has a point about the political exploitation, it is not something other incumbents notabely Fred Bellardi and Ray Musto have done to get their faces on TV…………On this thread, I have been getting more glossy mail from Kevin Blaum, State Representative in the Wilkes Barre area than at any time in his 24 year tenure. Must have to burn that budget out before the end of the term…………..And speaking of TV, what about this…..Donald Trump fired his aide Carolyn because she was getting too big for her corporate pin striped mini skirt. Seems the show and her role in it went to her head. Plus the Donald never could get in touch with her anyway. Replacing Carolyn on the show? Trump’s kids! You think Trump might have done some research on Luzerne County politics nepotism before Skrep and Todd took over????????????

MCNAMERA ON THE MOVE……….Democratic challenger Robert McNamera, running against Lisa Baker for the 20th Senatorial seat has a few billboards and bus advertisements. He has a steep mountain to climb but at least he’s making a move.

PITTSBURGH MAYOR DIES, SUCCEEDED BY 26 YEAR OLD CITY COUNCIL PRESIDENT..Funeral arrangements are expected to be announced today for Pittsburgh Mayor Bob O'Connor who died last night, ending his two-month battle with a rare brain cancer. He was surrounded by family and longtime friends, as well as the thoughts and prayers of the Pittsburgh community, which today mourns his passing. Pittsburgh City Council President Luke Ravenstahl, 26, was sworn into office last night following the death of Bob O'Connor. Ravenstahl promised to continue the work of the late mayor. In the late 1980s, Pittsburgh lost its Mayor Richard Caligerri to a fatal disease that befelled Governor Casey. Calligerri was succeeded by a 70 year old City Council President, Sophie Massloff.

INKIN’ THE VALLEY THIS WEEKEND……….For those of you into body art, INKIN’ THE VALLEY is this weekend following in the Labor Day traditions of LA FESTA ITALIA in Scranton and the Jerry Lewis Telethon. I wonder how many politicos have tattoos? Readers to this blog just might get an answer to that question in the months ahead.

MUNDY TAKES HIT……….State Representative Phyllis Mundy took a hit in the letters to the editor this week. Mundy is up for reelection to another term. She has been in office since 1990 when she defeated Scott Diettrick after he got in some hot water over an insurance investigation. (Mundy was a guest on my old Dialouge program on WBAX radio and killed!) Mundy has served in the largely GOP district since then and has had little opposition. So far, her GOP opponent State Committeeman John Cordaro has been flying under the radar. And to be honest, this seems to be the only salvo fired so far at the Democratic incumbent in this election.

Editor:
After 16 years, it’s time for a change in the 120th District
State representatives, whom do they represent? I reside in the 120th District. My representative has been in office for 16 years. In 16 years, my school taxes increased $500. (There has been an) increase in state income tax, turnpike fees, drivers license, registration fees, etc… and many school strikes across PA. P.U.C. approved increases in 16 years that raised water, gas, electricity by 50 percent. The minimum wage has stayed the same. Health care providers have a half billion in surplus, a 5 percent investment that gives a return of 25 million annually, and then they increase the cost of the health care. Other states, after reaching, required by law, their surplus give the money back to the people, instead of donating to the campaign of political leaders.
Then my representative at 2 a.m. in the morning, along with others, voted for a pay raise. Representatives who live 50 miles from the capital receive $140 daily, plus salary, and the choice of a lease vehicle. With all that said, I was still giving my representatives the benefit of the doubt. I am an American, registered Republican, voted for my representative eight times.
Then the light came on: the most important issues to all citizens in the 120th District -- crime, drugs and illegal immigration. Where is the voice of my representative about these important issues? Crime and drugs are everywhere in the 120th District. The only person talking about illegal immigration is the mayor of Hazleton. My representative never fails (to show) for a photo-op when passing out $60,000 of our money for parks and recreation, while crime and drugs are running rampant in Luzerne County and the 120th District. I have asked myself just what my representative and peers represent besides their own interests. After 16 years, its time for a change. Maybe someone else can have an idea, pass a bill and get things done, besides voting for a self-interest pay raise.
George J. Kochis Kingston


BEACH BOYS………If the weather cooperates,. The Beach Boys are set to perform at Kirby Park this weekend. Now there’s only one original Beach Boy left but the music of the group lives on. I was too young to see the Beach Boys when they came to Kingston in 1966 but through the years learned to love their music. Come rain or shine, the Beach Boys are an American tradition . Here are the lyrics to my all time favorite Beach Boy tunes. They are “Darlin’” from 1968, “Help Me Rhonda” from 1964, “I Can Hear Music” from 1969 and “Kokomo” from 1988.


"Darlin'"Time: 2:14 Irving Music, Inc. BMIMaster #58585Single released 12/18/67 (Capitol-2068)Charted 12/23/67 Reached #18A side with "Here Today"Brian Wilson/Mike Love
Ohh darlin' My darlin' you're so fineOhhhh-hhh-hhhDon't know if words can sayBut darlin' I'll find a wayTo let you know what you meant to meGuess it was meant to beI hold you in my heartAs life's most precious partOh darlin'I dream about you often my pretty darlin'(Darlin' you're so fine)I love the way you soften my life with your loveYour precious love uh huh ohI was living like half a manThen I couldn't love but now I canYou pick me up when I'm feeling sadMore soul than I ever hadGonna love you every single nightCause I think you're too outta sightOh darlin'I dream you often my pretty darlin'(Darlin' you're so fine)I love the way soften my life with your loveYour precious love uh huh huhWoah oh oh ohEvery night darlin'Gonna love you every single night, yes I willCause I think you're too doggone outta sightOh darlin'I dream you often my pretty darlin'(Darlin' you're so fine)I love the way soften my life with your loveYour precious love uh huh huhOh

"Help Me Rhonda"Irving Music, Inc. BMIBrian Wilson
Well since she put me down I 've been out doin' in my headI come in late at night and in the mornin' I just lay in bedWell, Rhonda you look so fine (look so fine)And I know it wouldn't take much timeFor you to help me RhondaHelp me get her out of my heartHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me Rhonda yeahGet her out of my heartShe was gonna be my wifeAnd I was gonna be her man(Oh Rhonda)But she let another guy come between usAnd it shattered our plans(Oh Rhonda)Well, Rhonda you caught my eye (caught my eye)And I can give you lotsa reasons whyYou gotta help me RhondaHelp me get her out of my heartHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me Rhonda yeahGet her out of my heartHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me RhondaHelp, help me RhondaHelp me Rhonda yeahGet her out of my heart.


"I Can Hear Music"Time: 2:38 Trio Music Company, Inc./Mother Bertha Music, Inc. BMIMaster #71521 Recorded 10/1/68Single released 2?/??/69 (Capitol-????)Charted 3/8/69 Reached #24A side with "All I Want To Do"Jeff Barry/Ellie Greenwich/Phil Spector
Ahhhhhh ooooooThis is the wayI always dreamed it would beThe way that it is, oh ohWhen you are holding meI never had a love of my ownMaybe that's why when we're all aloneI can hear musicI can hear musicThe sound of the city baby seems to disappearI can hear musicSweet sweet musicWhenever you touch me babyWhenever you're nearLovin' youIt keeps me satisfiedAnd I can't explain, oh noThe way I'm feeling insideYou look at me we kiss and thenI close my eyes and here it comes againI can hear musicI can hear musicThe sound of the city baby seems to disappearI can hear musicSweet sweet musicWhenever you touch me babyWhenever you're nearI hear the music all the time, yeahI hear the music, hold me tight now babyI hear the music all the timeI hear the musicI hear the music (baby)AhhhhhI can hear musicI can hear musicThe sound of the city baby seems to disappearI can hear musicSweet sweet musicWhenever you touch me babyWhenever you're near

"Kokomo"
Time: 3:34 Walt Disney Music Company/Wonderland Music Company,
Inc./Honest John Music/Clairoudient Music Corporation/Daywin Music,
Inc./Phillips-Tucker Music, Inc. ASCAP/BMI
Produced by Terry Melcher
Single Released:1988 (Elektra 7-68385)
Charted 9/24/88 Reached #1
A side with "Tutti Fruitti" performed by Little Richard
"Kokomo" originally appeared on the "Cocktail" Movie soundtrack
John Phillips/Mike Love/Terry Melcher/McKenzie


Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you
Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go
Jamaica

Off the Florida Keys
There's a place called Kokomo
That's where you wanna go to get away from it all

Bodies in the sand
Tropical drink melting in your hand
We'll be falling in love
To the rhythm of a steel drum band
Down in Kokomo

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you
To Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go

Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo
We'll get there fast
And then we'll take it slow
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo

To Martinique, that Monserrat mystique

We'll put out to sea
And we'll perfect our chemistry
By and by we'll defy a little bit of gravity

Afternoon delight
Cocktails and moonlit nights
That dreamy look in your eye
Give me a tropical contact high
Way down in Kokomo

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you
To Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go

Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo
We'll get there fast
And then we'll take it slow
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo

Port Au Prince I wanna catch a glimpse

Everybody knows
A little place like Kokomo
Now if you wanna go
And get away from it all
Go down to Kokomo

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you
To Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go

Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo
We'll get there fast
And then we'll take it slow
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you
To Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go

Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo


TAKE THIS BLOG PAGE AND SING ALONG!!!!!!!!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home