Friday, December 08, 2006

The LuLac Edition #106, Dec. 8, 2006





















PICTURE INDEX: THE RENDELL CHRISTMAS CARD, THEN VICE PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH WITH THEN SLIMMER AND MORE FOLICALLY ENRICHED DAVID YONKI, WAY BEFORE THE LAND OF BLOGDOM.


HO HO RENDELL

Got my annual Ed Rendell family Christmas card. This mystifies my family but I seem to be on his list. Back in 2002, I gave him some money for his campaign and we've been ho ho ho-ing ever since. Even got an invite to the Inaugration, which by the way was fabulous! After that big event, I wrote a nasty letter about Ed statewide when he cut library funding. Still got the cards. The true test will be if we get a second invite to the second Inauguration. I'll keep you posted.

PENNSYLVANIA SOCIETY

One gathering I've never been invited to is the annual Pennsylvania Society Dinner at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. As a boy, I remember Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians playing on New Year's Eve. The highlight of the night was Guy and his band singing "Boo Hoo" and of course "Auld Lang Sang". I'd take my tiny glass of Catawba Pink, down it and head off to bed. Anyway, enough Waldorf memories. The Pennsylvania Society has this big meeting where all the mucky mucks and mucky muck wanna bees and one time political shining stars or fading comets are invited. A few years ago they honored Harvey's Lake resident Andrew Sordoni which was kind of cool because at least there was a local connection. The event will be on PCN this weekend. It's kind of like a political American or TV bandstand. TV Bandstand was a local show on WNEP featuring Sid Friedman, it later turned into Komotion hosted by Doug Lane, Jay Kristopher and then finally Bob Woody. We'd watch it every week to see if any of our friends were on the show. This is how I approach the Pennsylvania Society Dinner,I'm just kicking back with a Tab, some pierogies and looking out to see if any of the cool kids are on TV!

Here's the PCN TV listing:
SATURDAY DEC. 9TH
7:00 PM
PA Society Dinner - LIVE

Waldorf-Astoria, New York City
10:00 PM
PA Society Dinner

Waldorf-Astoria, New York City

AND NOW SOMETHING FROM THE BAND!!!!

If you're blue and you don't knowwhere to go to why don't you gowhere fashion sits
Puttin' on the Ritz
Different types who wear a daycoat pants with stripes and cutawaycoat perfect fits
Puttin' on the Ritz
Dressed up like a million-dollar trooper
Tryin' hard to look like Gary Cooper (super duper)
Come let's mix where Rockefellerswalk with sticks
or um-ber-ellasin their mitts
Puttin' on the Ritz
Have you seen the well-to-doUp and down Park Avenue
On that famous thoroughfare
With their noses in the airHigh hats, and arrow collars
White spats, and lots of dollars
Spending every dime
For a wonderful time
If you're blue and you don't knowwhere to go to why don't you gowhere fashion sits
Puttin' on the Ritz
Different types who wear a daycoat pants with stripes and cutawaycoat perfect fits
Puttin' on the Ritz
Dressed up like a million-dollar trooper
Tryin' hard to look like Gary Cooper (super duper)
Come let's mix where Rockefellerswalk with sticks
or um-ber-ellasin their mitts
Puttin' on the Ritz(tap dance break)
Dressed up like a million-dollar trooper
Tryin' hard to look like Gary Cooper (super duper)
If you're blue and you don't knowwhere to go to why don't you gowhere fashion sits
Puttin' on the Ritz
Puttin' on the Ritz
Puttin' on the Ritz
Puttin' on the Ritz
Move...Move...Gotta danceGotta dance...If you're blue and you don't knowwhere to go to why don't you gowhere fashion sits
Puttin' on the Ritz...
Puttin' on the Ritz...
Puttin' on the Ritz...

TWO BLOGS WITH GREAT ARTICLES ON THE SOCIETY DINNER:
http://gort42.blogspot.com/ and http://aboveavgjane.blogspot.com/

FULL DISCLOSURE: I once appeared on the Komotion Program on WNEP TV. It was 1969, the host was Doug Lane, the opening song was "Touch Me" by the Doors. My date was a 6 foot girl who had the most tremendous body at St. John's High School. However, she had the face of Lyndon Johnson. Still, a good time was had by all.

41 BREAKS DOWN

This past week, President George Herbert Walker Bush broke down before the Florida Statehouse as his son Jeb was giving his farewell as Governor. President Bush was speaking about his son's defeat in 1994 when during a last minute flurry of dirty campaigning by the Lawton Chiles camp, Jeb stood tall and really did not fight the allegations of the other party. (No, he saved his firepower for the 2000 election year recount on behalf of his brother). The older Bush talked about Jeb's character and broke into sobs. His son strode to the podium and comforted "41", offering him water and a hug. As a Democrat, I sometimes wonder what course the GOP might have taken if Jeb Bush won that electon in 1994. Would he have been the heir apparent the Republicans were seeking to reclaim the White House? He certainly has a more commanding presence than his brother, is a Roman Catholic and seems to govern more by consensus. Interesting to think about.
George Bush Senior is a very decent man that I voted for when he ran for President. I met him when he was Vice President in 1985 with the Wilkes Barre Kiwanis Club in a meeting that was arranged by Marc Holtzman. He was very personable, charismatic and interested in what our group was doing in D.C. As President, he put a great deal of thought in foreign policy and I feel his Presidency (which some have regarded as failed because of him not winning re-election) will be vindicated as well as his leadership. Especially when you compare it to his son's tenure. No one can truly say why Bush Senior broke down so badly over a campaign tactic that occurred 12 years ago. Maybe he was crying over opportunities lost and the fickle finger of fate.

4 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can be such a moron. I'm still in the area and glad you thought I had a killer body but freakin' LBJ?
I have a very surly husband and three strong sons who can beat your ass to a pulp. Watch it, I'm reading.
Your Komotion date
from Duryea

P.S. Love the blog even though you hurt my feelings!

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

I am so sorry I hurt your feelings. Taking you to WNEP that night in January was one of my best high school memories. You were a delight and I believe you started me on my obsession with tall women. A lot of what I write is satire and I do again apologize.
Thank you for reading my blog. As I recall, you never were much on politics so I'm glad you're taking an interest now.
David Yonki

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apology accepted. You have had an interesting life since those old days at St. John's in Pittston! I've been following your ups/downs. Never a dull moment I guess. Read your book and thought it was done pretty well. I think it is hysterical that you had a book out sooner than your old nemisis Steve Corbett!! Boy, he did a job on you in the mid 80s. But you survived that as well as the other weseals you obviously thought were your friends.
Komotion date
from Duryea

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's odd, I thought David Yonki resembeled Lyndon Johnson.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home