Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The LuLac Edition #798, Apr. 28th, 2009



PHOTO INDEX: BLOG EDITOR WITH SENATOR ARLEN SPECTER.


BREAKING NEWS


SPECTER A DEM!!!!


In a move that will have statewide and national political ramifications, 5 term United States Senator Arlen Specter announced today that he is leaving the Republican party and becoming a Democrat. Specter has been a moderate Republican and has enjoyed widespread support among Democrats and Independents. He was slated to face fierce primary opposition from his 2004 GOP primary foe, former Congressman Pat Toomey. This is a smart move since he beat Toomey by only 14,000 votes the last time and has raised the ire of the conservative wing of the party. Plus, other than former Pittsburgh Steeler football star Franco Harris, there is no Democrat out there with Specter's name recognition gearing up for a U.S. Senate run. His decision makes it easier for Democrats like me who were going to switch parties again to give him a vote in the GOP primary. In my estimation, barring any unforeseen developments, Specter has given himself a major leg up in his bid for re-election to a sixth term in 2010. Here is the statement from Specter:
"I have been a Republican since 1966. I have been working extremely hard for the Party, for its candidates and for the ideals of a Republican Party whose tent is big enough to welcome diverse points of view. While I have been comfortable being a Republican, my Party has not defined who I am. I have taken each issue one at a time and have exercised independent judgment to do what I thought was best for Pennsylvania and the nation.
Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans. When I supported the stimulus package, I knew that it would not be popular with the Republican Party. But, I saw the stimulus as necessary to lessen the risk of a far more serious recession than we are now experiencing. Since then, I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate. I have not represented the Republican Party. I have represented the people of Pennsylvania. I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary. I am ready, willing and anxious to take on all comers and have my candidacy for re-election determined in a general election. I deeply regret that I will be disappointing many friends and supporters. I can understand their disappointment. I am also disappointed that so many in the Party I have worked for for more than four decades do not want me to be their candidate. It is very painful on both sides. I thank specially Senators McConnell and Cornyn for their forbearance. I am not making this decision because there are no important and interesting opportunities outside the Senate. I take on this complicated run for re-election because I am deeply concerned about the future of our country and I believe I have a significant contribution to make on many of the key issues of the day, especially medical research. NIH funding has saved or lengthened thousands of lives, including mine, and much more needs to be done. And my seniority is very important to continue to bring important projects vital to Pennsylvania's economy. I am taking this action now because there are fewer than thirteen months to the 2010 Pennsylvania Primary and there is much to be done in preparation for that election. Upon request, I will return campaign contributions contributed during this cycle.
While each member of the Senate caucuses with his Party, what each of us hopes to accomplish is distinct from his party affiliation. The American people do not care which Party solves the problems confronting our nation. And no Senator, no matter how loyal he is to his Party, should or would put party loyalty above his duty to the state and nation. My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans. Unlike Senator Jeffords' switch which changed party control, I will not be an automatic 60th vote for cloture. For example, my position on Employees Free Choice (Card Check) will not change. Whatever my party affiliation, I will continue to be guided by President Kennedy's statement that sometimes Party asks too much. When it does, I will continue my independent voting and follow my conscience on what I think is best for Pennsylvania and America.


20 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger Gort said...

Now you don't have to switch your party registration.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Coal Region Voice said...

Saved county workers statewide thoughout the Commonwealth. Kool-Aid has a 43-year shelf life?

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So What!

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kind of interesting to be Kevin Lynn. First former Judge Mark lies by omission about his corruption and now Senator Specter flat out lied to him during an on air interview. I am sure you all who are liberal leaning are glad Specter has changed, but as a Republican who has liked Specter, voted for him, got to know him on a casual basis and worked on two of his campaigns he has stuck a knife through my heart and those of republicans who took a lot of shit for being on his side. He is nothing more than a filthy liar, who is not doing this for philosophical reasons, but purely political gain and when he finally succumbs to his illness, I hope he rots a long time in HELL!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Now you don't have to switch your party registration.
YEP, ME AND KEVIN LYNN.

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo dip shit, isn't Ed Rendal a Dem with considerable name recognition?

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Kevin Lynn, what a sad person you have associated yourself with. Isn't he the one that continues to not defend, defend Mark Civarella? You are a good guy, you are well thought out in your writings, you are accurate and can admit when you are incorrect, please don't associate yourself with that fat, lard ass Kevin Lynn, it demeans you in this readers eyes.

I am sure you will edit this because of your man crush on Kevin, but it would be appreciated if you didn't. He is fair game because of all the name calling he does. And besides calling him fat is pretty accurate.

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you would associate yourself with Kevin Lynn and Arlen Specter because you are Godless, stem cell promoting, baby killing bastard like they are. Even my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ will never save you or your black soul. Lynn is a self proclaimed atheist and Specter a non Gentile, you say you are a Christian. You are not!!!!!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Yo dip shit, isn't Ed Rendal a Dem with considerable name recognition?
YES HE IS BUT LAST I HEARD HE'S NOT RUNNING FOR THE U.S. SENATE.
I am sure you will edit this because of your man crush on Kevin, but it would be appreciated if you didn't. He is fair game because of all the name calling he does. And besides calling him fat is pretty accurate.
NOPE, NOT GOING TO EDIT. YOU ARE DOING THE SAME THING YOU ARE ACCUSING KEVIN OF DOING. AND EVEN WITH THE CANCER WEIGHT LOSS, I'D LOVE TO HAVE HIS "LARD ASS" BODY AS YOU SAY. AND MY ONLY MAN CRUSH WAS ON BABE RUTH!
Lynn is a self proclaimed atheist and Specter a non Gentile, you say you are a Christian. You are not!!!!!
GET STEADY THERE EDDIE, I NEVER SAID I WAS A CHRISTIAN, I'M A ROMAN CATHOLIC. BIG DIFFERENCE!

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is the difference between christian and roman catholic. aren't catholic's christians? dont they trace their church directly back to christ.

and to quote what you wrote, " Plus, other than former Pittsburgh Steeler football star Franco Harris, there is no Democrat out there with Specter's name recognition." where is the reference to running for senate.

and kevin lynn has gotten fat. not a big deal if he wasn't so quick to call others fat.

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2:25,
My sentiments exactly!

Maybe now we can take him off the hypocrite column and put him on the life support column. Maybe.

He's the democrats problem now.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
what is the difference between christian and roman catholic. aren't catholic's christians? dont they trace their church directly back to christ.
I AM A ROMAN CATHOLIC. I GO TO CHURCH. I DO NOT IMPOSE MY BELEFS ON ANYONE LIKE SOME, NOT ALL CHRISTIANS DO ON ISSUES DEALING WITH MORALITY. CHRISTIANS, SOME ANYWAY, WANT YOU TO BELIEVE AS THEY DO WITH NO RESERVATIONS. I'M NOT PART OF THAT CLAN. SORRY. SO THERE'S THE DIFFEENCE.
and to quote what you wrote, " Plus, other than former Pittsburgh Steeler football star Franco Harris, there is no Democrat out there with Specter's name recognition." where is the reference to running for senate.
YOU ARE CORRECT. I HAVE RECTIFIED THAT MISTAKE. THANK YOU.

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is the difference between christian and roman catholic. aren't catholic's christians? dont they trace their church directly back to christ.
I AM A ROMAN CATHOLIC. I GO TO CHURCH. I DO NOT IMPOSE MY BELEFS ON ANYONE LIKE SOME, NOT ALL CHRISTIANS DO ON ISSUES DEALING WITH MORALITY. CHRISTIANS, SOME ANYWAY, WANT YOU TO BELIEVE AS THEY DO WITH NO RESERVATIONS. I'M NOT PART OF THAT CLAN. SORRY. SO THERE'S THE DIFFEENCE.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Dave, all poodles are dogs, but not all dogs are poodles. If you are a Roman Catholic, you believe Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior. That makes you a Christian. You may not be of the "zealot" variety, but you are a Christian.

Unless you really don't believe in Christ as Lord and Savior (and quite frankly, reading some of the tripe you've written about the Catholic Church, I have my doubts).

 
At 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey 8:58PM......you told him!

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Tony Thomas said...

Jesus was a Jew...

 
At 2:06 AM, Blogger Tony Thomas said...

Jesus was Jewish. Funny how all the anti-Semitic "Christians" forget that.

 
At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have to agree with 8:58 you are not a fanatical christian fine, but you are still a christian. talk about not really having faith....

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Catholic Church specializes in "tripe" so why not write some about it? I was a devout Catholic, its the only religion I truly know
and I've seen first hand the pettiness and hypocrisy and worst of all GREED! I believe in God, but no longer practice religion. I try to treat people the way I would like to be treated. I contribute as generously as possible to specific charities. Does that make me a Christian? Please advise, 8:58 as I need to know how to answer the jerks who ask and you seem to have set yourself up as a "decider".

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap. Is Merriam-Webster a decider for you?

Christian - one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ

Do you believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ? If so, Christian=Yes.

This is not a subjective argument. "Christian" is a clearly defined word.

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again. I guess I'm not a Christian! Good to know my status. Now if only those deemed Christian would act like Christians instead of hypocrites we'd all be better off! Lets start with Bishop Mussolini!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home