Sunday, November 22, 2009

The LuLac Edition #1016, Nov. 22nd, 2009


PHOTO INDEX: OUR HEALTH CARE REFORM LOGO, LUZERNE COUNTY COURTHOUSE.

"I’D FAINT DEAD AWAY"

A classmate of mine at LCCC and I were talking about the recent doings at the Courthouse. Everyday she is in stunned wonderment about who will be the latest person to fall. If you did a drinking game of speculation about this, well you’d never be sober. The latest tale of woe involves the Human Resources Chief who refused to answer questions from his boss Mary Anne Petrilla. The questions I assume involve a Long Island Security firm. I’m sure there will be others wanting to ask those questions from a certain federal agency. What struck my classmate more than anything was this passage from the Citizen’s Voice: Doug Richards, who was fired Wednesday from his job as Luzerne County's Human Resources Director, said in bankruptcy court documents he earned a monthly income of $6,232. Sandra Richards, a human resources administrator at Luzerne County Community College, earned an average of $3,846 per month, according to the court documents. Folks if you add that up the grand total of that is $10,078 a month, $2,519.50 a week, $503.90 a day, or $62.98 an hour. I asked my friend what she and her husband would do if they made that kind of money. Her response: “I’d faint dead away”. I have said and still believe with all of my heart that the taxes we pay are the dues we pay for being members of society. But when the people we put in charge put guys like Doug Richards in charge, then something needs to be done. Since I have started this political letter I have met many powerful and wealthy people. But I have met many more who are not in that economic strata. They are people in this community that make $500.00 a week, not $500.00 a day. And folks these jobs in Human Resources aren’t that hard. If anyone is interested in applying for Mr. Richards position, send a resume to:
The Luzerne County Courthouse
200 North River Street
Wilkes Barre, Pa. 18711
At the top of the resume be sure to put: “I’ll do this for half of the salary”. The disheartening thing about this situation at the Courthouse is that there seems to be no end in sight. When I was on WYOU TV I suggested a way to clean up Luzerne County. When I mentioned it, people thought it was a little too extreme. Now not so much. Here’s an oldie but a goodie folks:



NOW WE DEBATE

After hours of floor speeches in a rare weekend session, the Senate Democrats, with all 60 voting yes, moved forward the
health care reform bill. In a procedural motion of cloture, House Majority Leader Sen. Harry Reid’s (D- NV) health reform bill will now move to the floor for the debate and amendment process.
There was little suspense, as a voice vote was taken on the Senate floor shortly before 8:00 PM this evening. The last Democratic holdouts, Senators Ben Nelson, Mary Landreu
and Blanche Lincoln, announced earlier that they would vote yes to allow the health care bill to proceed to debate. This is a major step in the process and moves the prospect of affordable and quality health care for all Americans that much closer.
The final voting tally was 60-39, with all Republican Senators voting no. The GOP voted to not talk about the issue. They voted to not talk about your neighbor’s cancer, your niece’s pre-existing condition, your elderly parents prescription drug plan, your wife’s mammogram or your child’s neonatal care. This great body of Senators that sent 4,000 troops to Iraq to be assassinated by road side bombs chose not to talk about the health care needs of the survivors of those killed in action. They chose not to talk about the future health care of those wounded and maimed in Iraq. Support the troops my ass. As Archie Bunker used to say, they chose to “dummy up”. Remember folks, they said “no” to even discuss this issue. The debate process is scheduled to start when Senate lawmakers return from their Thanksgiving recess. And the debate on the public option will begin anew. The centrist Democratic Senator will be the most sought after and powerful people in the country. Look for our own Bob Casey to play a major role. Meanwhile our other Senator, Arlen Specter issued this statement on the health care debate. It would be my hope that my colleagues would not draw lines in the sand or stay in inflexible positions. We need to move ahead, and doing nothing is not an option. The problems of so many millions of Americans uninsured and the problems of the rising healthcare costs makes it imperative that action be taken.I think that the bill which has been proposed is a very, very good start. It is obviously subject to amendments and some modification. But the total cost has come in at about $850 billion over 10 years and is projected to save about $130 billion to reduce the deficit. In the second decade it is projected to save even more, up to as much as $650 billion. President Obama has committed not to sign a healthcare bill which adds to the deficit, and I’m committed not to vote for a healthcare bill that adds to the deficit. It is my hope that the bill will emerge with very strong provisions on preventative care. That includes annual examinations without additional costs and encouraging people to have the annual exams to catch many problems at their early stages, like heart disease or ailments, before they develop into debilitating and expensive chronic diseases. I disagree with the recent recommendations to cut back on mammogram screenings or pap smears. I think that early detection is vital and well worth the cost. I can tell you from my personal experience: an MRI detected a brain tumor the size of a golf ball between my skull and my brain back in 1993. It could have been a very, very serious matter had that early detection not occurred.Healthcare reform is vital and we’re determined to get a good bill.

FREE MARKET BULLCRAP

Don’t you love how the GOP and the vested interests of health care talk about the freedom of the free market? Letting the free markets set the product, pricing and competition. During the Bus administration the government let the free market decide just how fast broadband internet service would grow. The free market took its time in getting to the realization that this is what the American people wanted. The result of that policy is this: other countries across the globe have beeter and faster internet service because their governments took a hand in formulating a policy. Coupling with the private market, governments set expectations. The U.S., once the leader in technology let the free market handle it. As a result we are behind in this area. During the health care debate, you’ll hear people say “let the free market decide”. Sometimes that’s not good when the companies are only interested in profits and not people.



17 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In your interview with the blonde bomber, aka joe leonardi he mentioned a very intersting plan for health care reform. have you talked to him further?

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone who supports this health care non coverage bill needs their heads examined. This is pure political grandstaning bunk. It will accomplish NOTHING
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-11-19-public-option_N.htm

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,

You say with regards to Health Care that the free market isn't the answer and the government needs to be doing the job. OK.

In the same post you complain that people like Doug Richards and the rest of the indicted crooks in the Courthouse suck the government teat dry and misuse our tax dollars and get paid exorbitant salaries without a care in the world.

Luzerne County government's size is a fraction of a percent of the new health care bureaucracy which will be created by the plans being debated.

Do you realize how many Doug Richards' there are going to be within this new bureaucracy? How much waste and abuse will take place in this new system?

Yes, government cares about "people" and not "profits", and that gives us Doug Richards. Private industry cares about "profits" and not "people" and that gives us Bernie Madhoff. It's a given that neither system is perfect.

The difference is that the Madhoff's of the world fleece people who had a choice to deal with them. The Richards' of the world get to fleece EVERYONE. You get no choice.

If you don't like the thieves raping us all dry in county government, just wait until there's a Doug Richards in every corner of the health care system and we all have to pick up the tab.

When a tiny county can't get anything right, just wait until something exponentially larger gets put in place.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have health care and are happy with it, keep it! I pay thru the nose for mine and I'm not too happy with the annual increases from Blue Cross and the fact that they are reinvesting massive profits and overpaying executives rather than give the consumer a break,as well as hiring executives at top levels who have no experience in the field and the CEO cant even explain the Public Option on local TV. We have got to start somewhere. How about with the overpriced underwhelming officers of the company and the conflict of interest politicos on the board?

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2:46, you hit it on the head with the BCNEPA statements.

As a former employee, I can also tell you that they are very unsypathetic to emplyee family problems that may come up but when it's Managers up upper management that needs to deal with family issue, they are granted whatever they need to take care of it. Karma ... thats all I have to say to them. it will strike. Money is not the only thing in life worth living for.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger PoorRichard said...

Government is not always run by incompetents and thieves. Medicare is a great program and it was created by government. A quick example of government at work. As Administrator of Pittston, the private garbage hauler was bending us over backwards with a huge contract increase. I met with him and said if he couldn't be reasonable, I would put the city in the garbage business. He laughed and said I knew nothing about it. I admitted he was right but pointed out that I didn't have to make a profit, I only had to break even. That got his attention but he felt sure I was bluffing. I wasn't, I put the city in the garbage business and it was operated like a business and the result was we could hold down taxes based on the operation of the sanitation department. At that point in time, the City of Pittston was the only city in the entire state that had a Private hauler License. The point being that government is very capable of expanding the Medicare program and forcing private business to be competitive and to stop fleecing the public.

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Freemarket" is now an urban legend because of the government's involvement in the marketplace.

A truly free market would have taken care of things.

Please don't take this the wrong way but did you ever take a pure "econ" course? How about an accounting course? They opened MY eyes.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger IrishProtestor said...

It will be interesting to see if the Democrats can figure out how to use thier majority.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
2:46, you hit it on the head with the BCNEPA statements.
As a former employee, I can also tell you that they are very unsypathetic to emplyee family problems that may come up but when it's Managers up upper management that needs to deal with family issue, they are granted whatever they need to take care of it. Karma ... thats all I have to say to them. it will strike. Money is not the only thing in life worth living for.
I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOUR STATEMENT HERE. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR SITUATION WAS BUT WHEN I WAS GOING THROUGH MY CANCER AND THE DEATH OF MY MOTHER, BCNEPA, MANAGERS AND OTHERS WERE VERY, VERY HELPFUL, KIND AND COOPERATIVE.

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and then they fired you!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
and then they fired you!
THEY DOWNSIZED. I WAS LAID OFF WITH 90 OTHERS.

 
At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see where the Catholic Bishops dont approve of the Health Care Plan. I bet they have a pretty good set up for themselves! Senators and Congressmen should have the same plan the people do, but no doubt theirs is superior, top of the line. Hypocrites all!!!

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonki, yes.. you dont know ther story with me but I will tel you they were unsympathetic to my needs. I will tell you that a prent suffered massive heardt attacks and we'll leave it at that. Return or "voluntarily resign" was the message I received. not cool at all for a business to be doing that.... especially a biz in health care. My situation prob opened the door to people like you when action had been taken. People that handled my situation mysteriously were gone not oo long after.

BTW, what was your position there?

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wil Toole, read and watch this and tell me how great Medicare is.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/23/60minutes/main5414390.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Yonki, yes.. you dont know ther story with me but I will tel you they were unsympathetic to my needs. I will tell you that a prent suffered massive heardt attacks and we'll leave it at that. Return or "voluntarily resign" was the message I received. not cool at all for a business to be doing that.... especially a biz in health care. My situation prob opened the door to people like you when action had been taken. People that handled my situation mysteriously were gone not oo long after.
BTW, what was your position there?
CUSTOMER SERVICE. I CAN'T REALLY COMMENT ON YOUR SITUATION BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE ALL THE FACTS FROM BOTH SIDES. I TRY NOT TO JUDGE THE TOTALITY OF A COMPANY BY THE ACTIONS OF A FEW EVEN IF BECAUSE OF THAT I HAD A BAD OUTCOME. I WENT TO THAT TV 44 PROGRAM AND PRIOR TO THE START OF THE SHOW I HAD WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A PRETTY UNPROFESSIONAL ENCOUNTER WITH ONE OF THE MANAGERS THERE. EVEN THOUGH I WAS ASTOUNDED AT THE COMMENT MADE TO ME IN A CROWDED THEATRE, I DON'T HOLD THAT AGAINST THE TOP TIER OR THE ORGANIZATION. SOMETIMES ALL THE COGS IN THE WHEELS ARE NOT THE BEST QUALITY. MY TIME THERE WAS VERY GOOD AND EVEN THOUGH I WAS LAYED OFF, I STILL HAVE GOOD MEMORIES OF THE PLACE. THE FUNNY THING THOUGH IS ONCE YOU'RE GONE, YOU DIE FIGURATEIVELY SPEAKING. I HAVE HAD MORE CONTACT WITH MANAGERS WHO HAVE TAKEN AN INTEREST IN MY GETTING ANOTHER HEALTH CARE POSITION. THE PEOPLE I WORKED WITH EVERYDAY IN MY DEPARTMENT HAVE NEVER LIFTED A FINGER TO SEE HOW I WAS DOING OR EVEN HAD A CURIOSITY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED. ONLY 1 PERSON IN MY DEPARTMENT HAS KEPT UP WITH ME ON FACEBOOK AND ONLY TWO FRONTLINE WORKERS (WHO WEREN' EVEN IN MY DEPARTMENT) CHECKED ON ME WHEN I WAS FIRST HIT WITH THE LAYOFF. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT SAYS ABOUT MY CO-WORKERS IN MY DEPARTMENT BUT IT HAS BEEN AN INTERESTING EXPERIWENCE.

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Screw health care jobs Yonk. You ought to send out a few of your videos from WYOU TV to various markets and get a job yapping about politics.

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonki, yes... I guess each situation is unique but I def hear you about co-workers and what you thought were friends taking an interest in how you're doing or how you're coping with situations. I also had not one single so called "friend" contact me after I was out of there. You know, it's like a race to see who came become the most popular person in the group there. There are many that didnt lift a finger but yet received much recognition as if they had done something. Although I have this deep hatred for some of the people that dealt with my situation, I can say that on the other hand, I'm personally glad to be out of that stress filled company. You know... in the end, it doesnt even matter (to quote some lyrics) what position you held or how much money you made. I hope the few that dealt with my situation think about what they did to me from time to time. Some day, maybe they'll be in a situation like I was in and then finally realize what they had done.

I absolutely loved the company until this happened. I was proud to work there. I thought that when my unfortunate situation happened that they would do what they could to see that my personal needs were met (with time off or even flexable hours temporarily which I also requested)... and it just didnt happen.

I cannot see how any person with any common sense would push a person out the door with a very sick parent to be taken care of. As stated, the two people that did this are no longer there. I hope my situation impacted their stay there also.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home