Saturday, November 07, 2009

The LuLac Edition #998, Nov. 7th, 2009

PHOTO INDEX: OUR INTERVIEW LOGO.

INTERVIEW

So with the New York Yankees winning the World Series for the first time in nine years, it was time to celebrate. Now I am not a Yankee fan, I’m an Indian fan but I follow the Yankees and don’t wish them ill will. My good friend the MickMan however is a true Yankee partisan. The MickMan lives and dies with the team, has an extensive wardrobe of Yankee wear and is the first guy who calls that 1 800 number as soon as it comes on for the World Series DVD, tee shirt, hat, etc. So on Thursday we decided to have dinner together and rehash the Series, the elections and what we would do if we were married to either Marilyn Monroe or Angela Stone. Our meeting place was the Red Lobster on Route 6 in the Lac and for once I arrived on time. MickMan says he was stuck in center city Scranton traffic but I think he was waiting to turn off his vcr because he was taping the Yankee Parade in New York. (The MickMan does not, never has nor never will program his vcr which is another story altogether.) So I sat at the bar waiting for his arrival and sat next to a guy who was waiting for his daughter. This week was the very last unemployment check he was eligible for, having been out of work for a year and a half. He told me that this was most likely going to the last time he could treat his child to a nice meal in a restaurant. I immediately felt guilty thinking of the frivolous reason I was there. I found that out when we had this conversation. He opened it up by referring to the CNN report on the shootings in Orlando where a disgruntled former employee of an engineering firm shot a few former co-workers.
Q: That was something wasn’t it? How could anyone do that?
A: He was desperate man, I’m sorry he killed those people but I gotta give him credit.
Q: What? (I asked incredulously).
A: Look that company laid him off. They had to do what they had to do. Maybe he was a screw up but he’s making a point.
Q: Christ you don’t make a point by killing people do you?
A: Yes you do man, they call it war.
Q: I don’t see this as a war.
A: You don’t? You don’t think that millions of jobless isn’t like a war, a conflict?
Q: I think it’s more like a circumstance, a happening that you deal with.
A: Humph (he said eyeing up my leather Cooper A42 authentic and leather treated WWII bomber jacket which again made me feel even more guilty). You ever been unemployed?
Q: I am now. It’s horrible out there.
A: Ever do anything extreme in your situation?
Q: I have visited the Human Resources offices of companies I’ve applied to online after a month of not getting a response.
A: You think that’s radical?
Q: For me it is, yeah.
A: Let me ask you this, how many of your former co-workers, the people who spent 8 hours a day with you every week, called you after you got laid off?
Q: Three.
A: Did those three get laid off with you?
Q: Yeah.
A: They don’t count man. How many of the people who you worked with called you and offered help?
Q: None.
A: Did you try to reach out to a few of them after a few weeks?
Q: Yes.
A: How many kept in touch with you?
Q: One. Although come to think of it she wasn’t even in my department, I used to see her in the elevator and we used to chat about her kids.
A: See what I mean?
Q: Uh no.
A: Look unemployment is not only losing a job, it’s losing a lifestyle. It’s a routine, it’s like a life itself.
Note: When he said that I thought about the MickMan’s job as a factory worker in a lamp shade plant in Scranton. MickMan gets to work at 6:15AM even though he doesn’t start until 7:00AM. He told me how he’d have his coffee, ease into the day, read the papers and share stories with his co workers arriving. The MickMan is single, kind of a loner and on some days this is the most social contact he has with people.
Q: Is that what you miss about work?
A: Man I miss it all. But the toughest thing is to think that no one might ever want you again. And then there’s the money.
Q: This is your last week with benefits, what are you going to do?
A: Keep looking. I have a line on a market but they are only giving me 20 hours. It’ll get me out of the house. What are you doing to get yourself straight?
Q: I’m going back to school.
A: Finishing college?
Q: Nope I have a BA degree, I’m getting more…
Note: At that point he interrupted me and scowled.

A: You mean you’re laid off and have a college degree?
Q: There’s many of us, some with masters and doctorates. A lot of employers here don’t value education in my humble opinion.
A: See that!! You keep on making my point. That guy who shot them people he had an Education, he’s was an engineer. He had technical smarts.
Q: Yeah but he could’ve moved on, he could’ve used those skills, he could’ve went back for more training and education. But instead he killed people. His life is gone. He may even face the death penalty.
A: Man that again proves my point. He said they left him to rot. Maybe they did, maybe they didn’t, Geraldo will find that out. But when he entered that office building with that gun today, nothing mattered because he was already dead inside.


12 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once more Yonki takes a conversation, snippet of life and turns it into a thoughtful, provoking ND SCARY essay. Wonder what kind of conversation the guy had with his kid?

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the reader sits back and wonders what the hell can anybody do to help? Call a friend, write a letter, what? I never thought about it because I've never been in that position but I guess it is something that should be thought about. I wonder what Petrilla thinks about when she speaks so casualy of laying off a hundred people or what she thought when she actually did? I wonder if it gives her even one moments concern? Naw, that's politics and David is in the real world. This really sucks! But I can tell you this, I'm going to give it some thought becasue there is nothing more important, especialy to David and people in his boat.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A factory worker and a guy without a job doing the Red Lobster thang. Sounds pricey to me.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
A factory worker and a guy without a job doing the Red Lobster thang. Sounds pricey to me.
A WORD ABOUT THAT. THE MICKMAN AND I ARE THE CHAMPS OF FINDING CHEAP FOOD. BUT EVERY YEAR THE MICKMAN INSISTS ON GOIING TO RED LOBSTER FOR THAT ALL YOU CAN EAT SHRIMP DEAL. I LIKE SHRMP BUT CAN'T EAT MORE THAN THREE BECAUSE OF AN ALLERGIUC REACTION I GET. SO I GOT MY LITTLE PLATTER OF FISH. OKAY, BIG PLATTER OF FISH. MCKMAN HAD 7 HELPINGS OF VARIOUS TYPES OF SHRIMP. MICKMAN ONE TIME WAS DISINVITED FROM A CHINESE BUFFET IN MOOSIC (AS A MATTER OF FACT IT'S NOW CLOSED, MAYBE THERE WAS A CONNECTION, I DON'T KNOW) AND IS QUITE THE EATER. HE IS 195 AND 6 FEET EVEN. SO THAT'S WHY WE WOUND UP THERE. AND WHILE I'M AT IT HERE, A SHOUT OUT TO OUR WAITRESS AMANDA WHO KEPT ON PLACING THOSE LITTLE RASCALS IN FRONT OF THE MICKMAN AND FOR GIVING ME SOME EXTRA BISCUITS WITH MY TAKE HOME BAG.

 
At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obama extended unemployment benifits.

 
At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh point of order Mr. Chairman, the Congress can only extend those.

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay you anal retentive ***wipe. Obama signed the legislation you ****wad (edited)

 
At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yonk!!!!! that guy from Red Lobster is reading your blog. hiya 11:15, how was dinner with the kid?

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is NEVER a justifiable excuse for killing ANYONE over money. That's what the "nut" in Orlando did. The job was money. His poor decisions resulted in his current situation.
Blaming someone else for your lot in life is the first step in paranoia. Sorry if I seem cruel and insensitive but at least those folks retooling for the current state of the economy are NOT allowing themselves to be controlled by anything of anyone.
Every person you talk to is a potential connection to a job.

Remember: underemployed is still employed.

How many more times did your interviewee reach out to his friends? Maybe his attitude is what drove them away? Maybe his comments and responses sent up red flags (they did for me, I know his type - remember: "... birds of a feather")

Let's NOT let the crazies set the template, gang.

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would honestly consider alerting the police to the subject of your interview. There are some serious red flags out there. God I really hope we don't make national news because of him. This exchange is the most disturbing; "Q: That was something wasn’t it? How could anyone do that?
A: He was desperate man, I’m sorry he killed those people but I gotta give him credit.
Q: What? (I asked incredulously).
A: Look that company laid him off. They had to do what they had to do. Maybe he was a screw up but he’s making a point."
You gotta give him credit? Words of a disturbed individual.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if we called the police everytime someone popped off in a bar with no specific threats, the police would never be able to do their jobs. what'dya gonna do, lock up people (and there are a few) who get a rush collecting nazi memorabilia? who say hateful things? jeez.

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least he didn't blame Bush-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home