Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1092, Feb. 10th, 2010




PHOTO INDEX: TORN OFF MIRROR ON MY CAR PARKED IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE THE NIGHT OF FEB. 5th THROUGH FEB. 6th, TWO BIG RECYCLING CONTAINERS OF BOOZE FROM KING'S COLLEGE STUDENT HOUSE, AND SAID RECYCLING CONTAINER DUMPED OUT ONTO THE STREET.

NEWS ITEM: Citizen’s Voice: Feb. 7th, 2010

Someone damaged the side mirrors on a 1994 Honda owned by Kate Bossert, a 2003 Chevrolet owned by Stephanie Weling, and a Chrysler Sebring owned by David Yonki on North Main Street on Saturday afternoon.

GRADUATING TO VANDALISM

Friday night Father O’Hara’s drunks from King’s College were having one of their weekend blow outs on North Main Street. (Their weekends are like an old Polish wedding reception, they start on Thursday night and end on Sunday afternoon). It was the usual crap with loud cursing, screaming obscenities and unruly behavior after midnight. The noise was coming from the student housing in my neighborhood. Now I know people need to let off steam but when it starts to interfere the right of others, then I complain. So please bear with me in this edition. Apparently Father O’Hara’s drunks have now graduated to vandalism. Saturday I’m usually up and out by 8AM but the past week was pretty intense for me on a professional level. I had a test scheduled for Monday night and did not even look at the sections so I spent the whole day trying to figure out the relationship of a medical code to a covered entity. At 4:30PM I went to help Mrs. LuLac unload the groceries when I saw my passenger side door mirror ripped off and lying on the ground. Sometimes when you lose a mirror it is on the driver’s side when a car swerves and hits it. I called 911 and filed a police report. They are going to label it under criminal mischief. A few things:
I do not know who did this and I cannot prove that it was the partying drunks of Father O’Hara. But I can’t prove that it wasn’t either. The facts are the car was in its parking place from 6:30PM Friday night. From 11PM Friday to 2AM there were party hoppers running up and down North Main Street in full gallop fueled by massive quantities of alcohol. (See photo index). I can only surmise that one of the party house’s guests did this either by intention or by accident. But this incident happened because of college alcohol abuse. No damage was ever done by people shuffling up and down the street when King’s was not in session. And my car is not the first vandalism to happen in North End. Earlier in the fall handicapped parking signs were stolen from their posts in the neighborhood. Why they were taken, no one knows but they caused concern and also the taxpayers money because they have to be replaced. But the greater cost is the emotional toll it takes on the neighborhood. I have an elderly neighbor who lives in the back of my house on Madison Street. His house is next to a building populated by King’s women. One day he told my wife that he was astounded at the behavior of the young ladies next to him. “If their mothers only knew how they behave, cursing, screaming, acting like tramps, they’d be surprised”. Neighbors don’t mind the students when they are sober and on their way to classes, they do mind when they are on drunken tears and bellowing in the middle of the night. I can’t accuse any King’s student of vandalizing my car or those of the others listed above but I can make the connection that off campus alcohol abuse and rowdy behavior increases the chances of property damage as well as other safety issues. The police officer, like all Wilkes Barre city cops was professional, empathetic and promised more patrols in the North End to control the drunks. But as another neighbor said, “If a King’s student urinates (that was not the term she used either) on the Baby Jesus, what chance do we have”. Indeed.

THE NEXT NIGHT.....

It was about 3AM and I was awakened by the sound of broken glass. Getting up from my bed, I tried to navigate down the stairs. I heard three male voices one of which was screaming, “I don’t give a ****, I don’t give a ****”. More breaking glass. Then there was quiet, because the rats retreated back into their respective holes paid for by mommy and daddy in New Jersey. The next morning there was a recycling can dumped over into the street. The photo is above. Now what happened here is pretty interesting. In the 70s there was a sociological report on “Black on black” crime. Statistics said that most crime committed against blacks were by other blacks. The breaking of glass and dumping of the recycling container was a crime by students against students. (After their party the students dutifully filled up the recycling containers like good citizens.) However a few bad citizens chose to knock it down and commit even more vandalism. Now you might not think knocking over a can of bottles is a big thing but it blights a neighborhood. It gives people the impression that there is disorder and that “anything goes”. And it is likely a fellow King’s student that did this against their own classmates. One of the other cars damaged, was that of a King’s student who attained the Dean’s list in 2008. I’m sure if the people who did this knew she was a fellow classmate, they might have spared her car. But alcohol abuse and the ensuing vandalism knows no reason or judgement.
For the safety of everyone in the neighborhood and everyone’s possessions I am going to take the following steps.
1.CRIME WATCH: I will contact the Wilkes Barre Crime Watch to see if activities on party night can be monitored.
2.VIDEO: I am getting bids from companies to see if videos could be taken from the street of unruly behavior and pass that information on to the police and college authorities. Going to college and living in the host city neighborhoods should be a privilege and not a right.
3.ALUMNI: While this is only a modest little blog, many King’s College Alumni read this site. I am encouraging all of them to withhold their donations to the College and contribute to one of their own local community colleges. This is not the King’s College we attended.
4.I have sent a letter to U.S. News and World Report outlining the outrageous behavior of the King’s students and will ask them to keep this in mind when they are ranking their top colleges in America. Rewarding an institution for bad behavior is just plain wrong even at the expense of the image of the city. These steps are just the start if any more vehicles are damaged or any other incidents occur. A few weeks back at a social event I was asked what school I attended for college. It was just days after completing my Medical Coding semester at LCCC and I instinctively said, “Luzerne County Community College”. I was then going to amend my answer but then the conversation trended elsewhere. The fact is the King’s College I knew and participated in as a student is in the side view mirror. Broken and cracked (just like my mirror) by a new generation of unthinking slobs, drunks and dare I say budding criminals.


17 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Senseless stupid vandalism for which the college must take some responsibility. With todays tuition fees surely some money could be invested in better security and patrols of the area by the college security staff. The same holds true in Scranton. As a young student I engaged in some crazy pranks but never damaged anyones property. We blame many of our problems on drugs, but I believe alcohol has done as much or more to destroy our society. I also question the quality of education we pay so dearly for these days. I feel bad for decent people like yourself who have lived in an area for a long time and are forced to suffer such aggravation. Good luck in your campaign tio at least make the schools accept some responsibility.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Herself said...

Odd how you don't hear about similar goings on downriver in the neighborhood of Wilkes. I am involved in a local community group that several Wilkes students participate and invole themselves in...but no King's students have showed up yet--just sayin'. Every Wilkes student I've met thus far has seemed polite, professional, serious about their studies--what accounts for the difference in culture between the two schools I wonder?

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could contact W-B City for one of their video cameras that they have posted all over the city to help watch for crimes being committed. Seems they have enough of them around specifically for that exact purpose. I'm sure King's College won't put a foot forward to cooperate in this matter, because I'm sure they probably think all their good little catholic boys and girls couldn't possibly do any of these awful things!

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the beat goes on! Kings college will also allow the student who urinated on the manger to receive a degree from a Catholic college so why would you think that breaking your mirror or spilling garbage will be taken serious? It's all about the money, all about the money! These same building are probably not even on the tax rolls but that's another story.

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Lulac I could have not said it better myself. I feel for you and the misses having to put up with the stuff that goes on on your block. I was a 2007 grad of King's and was a deans list student. I was older when I graduated beeing in my mid 20s and I could not beleive how these kids from out of state come here while mommy and daddy pays for everything and they act like drunken goofs. Not all students from out of state attending King's have rich mommys and daddys so I am not calling out all of them just a few. We have two colleges in the city of Wilkes-Barre and it seems like the Mayor sucks up to them for everything and forgets about the people living and working hard in the city. I will not give a dime to King's College because of the way the students act and also because of the way they treat their students after they graduate. I applied for numerous jobs at the school and can not even get a part time job working at the school. Sometimes I wish I never even went to King's. I don't know if the students and the administrators are following the word of Christ.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous 1972 Alumni said...

Dave
Allowing this behavior is beyond the pale.
I will return all requests for money with a copy of this posting!
Then write a check to the RHV.
Our Holy Cross fathers have given up.

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a group of punks vandalizing my property a while ago because I didnt associate with them. Why would I associate with drunks and their family? They are the sons of a local plumber who are also friends with the son of a local magistrate or police chief (I cant remember right now for sure)

The vandalism continued until the cameras went up. Cameras are a good thing. No lies.

The thing is, these people are the first to cry foul about anything that goes on that involves them. They made a big deal out of my company beeping a car horn to say goodbye yet their company and friends did and still continue to beep at all hours of the night.

The mentality of people from ages mid 30's and below is getting worse. Slow children ahead......

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,

Were the recycle container pics staged, i.e. before & after? Why is there a "before" picture anyway, and if the "after" pic is the result of being kicked over, I would expect some of those Lionhead bottles to be broken.....
I agree & feel for you otherwise....

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mayor Tom Leighton and Kings Admin

will you stand up and encourage the police dept efforts to cite these offenders for public drunkenness and publish their names in the paper? Maybe once Mommy and Daddy see their names in the paper for a third or fourth time, there will be some improvement in behavior. Ask Nathan Strawn if it works...I'll bet he's learned a lesson.

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Were the recycle container pics staged, i.e. before & after? Why is there a "before" picture anyway, and if the "after" pic is the result of being kicked over,
NO THE PICTURES WEREN'T STAGED. THE PHOTO WITH THE RECYCLING FILLED WAS TAKEN ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON, THE ONE WITH THE SPILLED BOTTLES WAS TAKEN SUNDAY MORNING. I TOOK ABOUT 7 ANGLES. I USED BOTH PHOTOS AS AN ILLUSTRATION THAT WHEN EVEN PARTY THROWERS DO SOMETHING RESPONSIBLE, SOMEONE ELSE WILL NOT BE THAT WAY. THAT'S THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE. WHEN YOU HAVE A PARTY, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR "GUESTS" AND THEIR BEHAVIOR. AND WHEN YOU HAVE AN OPEN DOOR POLICY, ANYONE CAN AND DOES COME.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pics weren't staged? If not, why the hell do you take pictures of garbage, or did you have this happen before and expected it to happen again? Just wondering.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Pics weren't staged? If not, why the hell do you take pictures of garbage, or did you have this happen before and expected it to happen again? Just wondering.
I MIGHT BE DENSE HERE BUT I'M NOT SURE WHAT YOU'RE ASKING. I NEVER TOOK PICTURES OF GARBAGE, JUST A RECYLCING CONTAINER FILLED WITH BOOZE CANS AND THEN THE THING KNOCKED OVER INTO THE CURB THE NEXT DAY.

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK let me be clearer... Not garbage, then why take pix of recycling cans full of stuff anyhoo. Again, did this happen before and were you anticipating it again? Can't say I've ever had the want to take a picture of a filled recycling container.

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow and I was upset at the "KING'S" student who had the nativity scene taken down. Just catholic ideals....you guys are on the money by taking away alum $$$$$

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To whom this may concern,
My friend and I are highly educated students with high GPA's in professional programs at King's College. Both of us will be graduating with honors cords and take our educational responsibilities very seriously. We find this blog to be very belittling to those of us who actually have responsibilities but choose to enjoy ourselves on the weekend. We find it impossible for you to not understand what actions will come about in an area that contains college students. We would like to note we are not “RATS” and our “RICH MOMMIES AND DADDIES FROM NEW JERSEY” are not paying for us to live in our “HOLES.” Although, your situation does suck and we are not making excuses for the students who are acting this way, you need to understand the broader idea and culture of a college setting or community. Your blog was very rude and opinioned, and not based on fact at all. You are ASSUMING your car was vandalized by King’s College students. Let’s recall MANY incidents that have take place because of DRUGS or the local scum in your town. (ex. the women who was stabbed on Main St last spring. King’s students actually helped and called the police in this situation) so before you starting pointing your fingers at college students and assumed alcohol abuse, you should save your complaints for the WB area police and the drug trafficking in your town.

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to start off by saying that I am a King's College student in one of the respected medical majors of the school, and will be graduating in May. Your blog was completely out of line and your disregard for the level of crime in YOUR city of wilkes-barre caused by wilkes-barre natives is shocking. I come from a major city in PA and NEVER once did I feel uncomfortable walking down a street by myself until I came to W-B. You are not the only one who has had your car vandalized. You assumed your car was vandalized by King's students. In the almost 4 years of being here my car has taken dents in doors and side mirrors being damaged. Maybe you should rethink where you yourself live, which is in a COLLEGE TOWN! That does not excuse people's behavior, however don't assume it was King's students. You should worry more about the shootings and stabbings on campus caused by locals of the city, rather then worring about taking pictures of fallen over recycle bins, to which you honestly have no idea what caused it to be knocked over. I live in alumni hall and can hear and see on a regular basis locals walking throught alumni's parking lot screaming obsenities and causing trouble. Two years ago I witnesed a stabbing infront of The Mines, which was cause by yet again, MORE LOCALS. I think it's commical how you choose to ignore the ACTUAL CRIME AND FELLONIES committed in your own city by locals. Inn comparison to people drinking in bars or walking down north main street, to which street you don't live, it's small when you look at the big picture.

 
At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See 3:31PM: Wilkes barre was always a college town. King and Wilkes and for a time LCCC was here. It is the new generation of drunken students that cause the concerns. Not all students are drunks but maybe A level students like yourself could police the idiots and do us all a favor. There were beer parties in this town long before your parents were even thought of.....the difference is in the bahaviour and the attitude of the King's drunkards. And I can't blame the kids for testing the limits, I do blame the administration for being lax on drunken Kingsman and women.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home