Thursday, May 06, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1173, May 6th, 2010











PHOTO INDEX: THE NUMBER 4 INDICATING OUR FOUR YEAR ANNIVERSARY TODAY, ME AND SUE HENRY RECAPPING ELECTION RESULTS ON WILK RADIO, A PHOTO TAKEN AT ONE OF THE LULAC COMMUNITY FORUMS WE HELD FOR JUDICIAL CANDIDATES (I THINK GORT 42 TOOK THIS PHOTO) MY GOOD FRIENDS AT WYLN TV 35 AFTER LAST YEAR'S GENERAL ELECTION BROADCAST AND A LULAC ANNIVERSARY TRADITION, JOHN WEBSTER WHO IS FEATURED EVERY YEAR SINCE HE WAS THE GUY WHO WALKED ME THROUGH PUTTING PHOTOS ON THE SITE.

LULAC AT 4

Today we celebrate our fourth anniversary. It was four years ago today that we began this adventure. We are closing in on 1200 editions and have written hundreds of thousands of words and displayed a good amount of photos. (Once more our thanks goes out to John Webster who actually took the time and patience to instruct us in the intricate art of posting photos. I fondly recall him saying, "Any idiot can do this Dave!" ) LuLac has put on community based forums that have informed the people about politics in the region. We have taken our message to TV, Radio and other forms of the net. The production of our own videos has been a major source of accomplishment for us. As I review our earlier work, I am struck by the amount of filler I put in earlier editions. But my thought process was to build a reference file so that if you needed a quote from the Declaration of Independence or any other major address, you could reference it on LuLac. In our early posts in 2006 we talked a lot about immigration, complimented the Luzerne County Commissioners on the flood control efforts, wrote about the Governor’s race and the prospects of young Mr. Casey vs. Mr. Santorum for the U.S. Senate and did a fair amount of commentary on the media and pop culture. I shared a fair amount of personal news which I hope was not too boring. But remembering a father, mourning a mother, remembering a school or classmate and sharing my travails as a cancer survivor and Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania expendable all I think gave my writing a reference point. I have also changed politically going from a centrist Democrat who would gladly pull the lever for a moderate Republican to a die hard liberal. The right wing party of “no” and its obnoxious attacks on the middle class we can all thank for that transformation. When we started out there were more than 80 blogs locally posting. There are now less than 8 that post every day. We are happy and grateful to be one of them. As we head into year 5 we thank all of the readers and posters who visit us every day. I particularly thank the newspaper trades and broadcast entities for digging up the stories we comment on. Plus the public officials who unwittingly or not, make our lives interesting. I was asked one time how can I keep on cranking out editions every single day without getting “writer’s block.” Anytime that happens and I don’t know what I’m going to write, like manna from heaven someone in politics does or says something spectacular in its stupidity. And then I write. I also have to credit Mrs. LuLac for her insights, her I.T. abilities as well as her patience in this quasi-occupation. When I worked in a State Senatorial campaign in 1978 for Tom Lehman, his primary opponent in that race, John Pitcavage came into our office on Pierce Street and schooled me on politics and life. He said the “biggest enemy any politician has during a campaign is not the opposition, not the money but time”. Political campaigns run out of “time” as do we in our daily lives. There is much more I’d like to accomplish with LuLac and I intend to fight that enemy “time” in order to do it. But in politics as in life, sometimes you win, more often than not “time” wins. We’ll try to bat .500 regarding the time issue. All that said, on to year 5.

16 Comments:

At 1:30 AM, Blogger D.B. Echo said...

Congratulations on four years! It will be six for me in a little over a week.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Gort said...

Happy Blogiversary my friend. I'm looking forward to many more years of LuLac.

Let's have a party!

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Robin Roberts were a Yankee he would have won 350 games. As is he was a great pitcher who always challenged the hitters. The man was the real deal on the mound and wasnt too bad at the plate as I recall. RIP to a great athlete and one of the greatest Phillies of any era.

JP

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave: congrats on 4 years of blogging and advocating for the people.

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...congrads on entering your 5th year for the Lu Lac parade!
Keep that baby rolling!!

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

another 40 more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE K GIRL

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonk: One thing I'll say about you is that every day you publish. I might not agree with 75% of it and I really think you are still a starry eyed optimist when it comes to politicians but you are here every day. Best of luck in the future and so very glad you are feeling well, slaying the dragons, and being the incredible tumultuous package that is David Yonki.

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAVER
4 years, long time. good stuff most of the time but i could've done without the 7th grade girlfriend stories. i mean c'mon you were like the slovak kevin arnold a few years back. but still reading, watching and waiting for the next book.
PAULER

 
At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friends Mark and David just passed some milestones in this electronic mimeograph pamphlet intertubes thing. It must be something about spring that inspires people to start political blogs.
Circumlocution for Dummies has been on the blogging-for-dummies platform that is blogspot for one year now. He was the pathfinder of local political blogging with his original site Wilkes-Barre Online that will always be on my blogroll. That's why I call him the Blogfather and he was my inspiration for starting this site.
The Lu Lac Political Letter has been keeping us informed and entertained for four years. David is our local political historian and fills a void that opened up when the local papers lost or just stopped publishing columnists that had what is called "institutional knowledge." Plus he has given me a new appreciation of tall redheads.

Gort 42

 
At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave is a good guy, congrats Dave. I met Dave, and he's a really nice guy.
Dan Spak

 
At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! Congratulations and keep up the good WORK!
Jill Konopka

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duke Dallas says Congrads!

 
At 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dave, happy anniversary, love the site and really really think you are a very talented guy.

 
At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, it is one thing to have talent but it is a whole new world when it comes to dedication. I'm trying to figure out when you have time to write anything let alone all that you manage to get into your site. The TL or CV have nothing on you. I've heard reporters talk about the difficulty of getting a story in every day and they are complaining about just one story, they need a lesson from the Yonkster. Good luck with this great effort, congratulations on your achievement and best of luck in your tomorrows. Wil

 
At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Joe Leonardi said...

Hi Dave,
Sorry I missed this post. I am catching up on my internet reading. Congrats 4 years. I am glad you are still around, both on line and in life. You are one of the good guys in the world.

Joe

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very happy for the way your writing and this blog has evolved. Luck and success. Okay, I'm good for about 3 months.
YOUR KOMOTION DATE FROM DURYEA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home