Friday, January 07, 2011

The LuLac Edition #1428, Jan. 7th, 2011

PHOTO INDEX: "MAYBE I'M AMAZED" LOGO.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED

Maybe I’m Amazed………that the new Congressional leadership in Washington had an abridged version of the Constitution read excluding the part about black males not being whole citizens. I revere the Constitution but these guys need to understand that this is a moving document designed to change with the times. To not understand that or acknowledge that is just very Republican.
Maybe I’m Amazed…….that people are saying the new “True Grit” is better than the original. I mean that was with the Duke! But I’m willing to see if they are correct and see the movie. I saw the original in 1969 at the Old American Theatre in Pittston.
Maybe I’m Amazed……that Mount Airey Lodge was fined for underage gamblers. I mean don’t they have security? And just what were the little tykes doing at the blackjack table? Or were they hanging with grandma at the slots. Or were they trying to get rickets for Wayne or the Sheckey Green Reunion tour?
Maybe I’m Amazed…….that people still don’t understand that the majority of people who end up dead here by murder are from out of town. They come here on nefarious business, usually knock up one of the locals, (but Ma I looovvveee him!!!!) skip town when the baby is born or die and then our social service system is stuck with the aftermath of everything related to housing, drug counseling, and welfare. Barletta was on target about out of town crime, my disagreement with him was it wasn’t just one group of people. Good people are good people, scum are scum and unless we make the distinction, more hookers, druggies and dealers are going to be found frozen in the woods.
Maybe I’m Amazed…..that local college students in LuLac land leave their valuables like stereos, IPODS, and jewelry when they go back home for break. I saw on the news one night that a Scranton U college student had $2500 of jewelry stolen. I understand that gold is expensive but did the kid not have the smarts to take it home with her? But the worst part about this is where the hell were the landlords? Did they not provide security at these rentals or did they just think, “it’s kids so why should we care?” Every citizen young or old should be protected but they should also have some common sense regarding their surroundings and maybe the landlords who get rich off of them should provide more safeguards.
Maybe I’m Amazed…..that the President of NPR, some vapid executive named Vivian Schiller did not lose her job over the Juan Williams fiasco earlier this year for her comments. Equally amazing is the news that she did not receive her bonus. Bonus? Isn’t NPR non profit? And the CEO gets a bonus? Maybe the GOP right wingers should hold hearings into how they run things. Bonus?

Maybe I'm Amazed......NOT that this area ranks second in cigarette consumption. The Times Leader reports that a website The Daily Beast says 23.5 percent of area residents smoke an average of 16.8 cigarettes a day. Before I married Mrs. LuLac most of the women I dated smoked. When I worked at various places, I'd see people in the freezing cold smoking in sub zero temperatures. The best was when I worked for a company that banned smoking anywhere near their premises, people would literally have to sprint to take a smoke break and then come back. I never smoked, too much work. You have to hold it, then light it, then watch the ashes, then watch so it doesn't burn, then get rid of it.....way too much trouble for me. But hey guys, let's get that number up to 30% and about 40 cancer sticks a day. We have to be good at something so it might as well be huffing and puffing.

10 Comments:

At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonk, I don't think you should be amazed, I alwys thought that NPR meant Not Perfect Republicans! Am I wrong? Please straighten me out on this.

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would NEPA like without the "huddled masses" outside an office building in the freezing cold having a burner. They should make the old Marlboro commericals right here. Good for employment.
Can I bum a smoke?

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now if we could get rid of health insurance for the smokers may be they would die and make room for healthy people.

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll give my opinion later... I'm goin' out fer a smoke now.

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm Amazed ... that Kristi Kapel is now gone! Woe is me! Damn, she was a cutie! Might as well go smoke, what the hell!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

Hey 1:42PM, we are hsving our tribute to Krsti sometime this weekend.

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have lived in 3 or four parts of the U.S. on the eastern side of the Mississippi and have never seen the hardcore smoker I see here in the WB/Scr area. People walking along smoking. Constantly smoking and dragging hard! Talking on the cell phone people may now outnumber smokers. The smokers and the corner beer gardens are an institution here not unlike other places, but the smokers are serious hard draggin smokers intent perhaps on suicide by cigarette!

Waverly Bob
Former Smoker

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what is an NPR?

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
So what is an NPR?
NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO.

 
At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Your Friend and Political Sparing Partner said...

The GOP should spear head an initiative to defund PBS and NPR. They had a place, but it is time to stop throwing money at what could be done by private interests.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home