Saturday, October 22, 2011

The LuLac Edition #1807, October 22nd, 2011


Our "Sound Off Saturday" logo.

SOUND OFF SATURDAY

Two more candidates for Luzerne County Council have taken the opportunity to share their thoughts with LuLac readers. On October 4th in LuLac Edition #1783 we invited County Council candidates to share their views with us. We will keep this option open for one more Saturday. Send your information to my e mail, yonkstur@aol.com.



Republican candidate for Luzerne County Council Rick Morelli.

RICK MORELLI-REPUBLICAN

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DO YOU WANT OUT OF BEING A COUNTY COUNCIL MEMBER?
My name is Rick Morelli and I am the only candidate who has served on both the Home Rule Government Study Commission as well as the Home Rule Transition Committee. Over the last two years I have interviewed and studied numerous home rule municipalities as well as county employees. I believe that my unique experience and knowledge regarding the home rule process can add value to this newly elected council in making sure that this new government starts off in the right direction.
My background is in finance. I have a B.S in finance from Villanova University as well as a master’s degree in finance from Saint Joseph’s University. With over 17 years of financial management experience as well as working with municipal budgets over $100 million dollars I understand how to cut expenses along with ways to help increase revenue. I would like to take my background experience and bring it to this newly elected council.
Lastly I am proud of my independent and transparent stances I have taken over the last two years on these committees. I will not be anyone’s “rubber stamp” and will always base my decisions off of what is best for the taxpayers of Luzerne County!
I am not accepting the $8000 salary. I view this position as a public service, not a job!!!
2. IT’S A BIG COUNTY, WHAT ARE YOUR PRIORITIES AS AN ELECTED MEMBER?
1. To appoint the most qualified, ethical and experienced manager.
2. To implement the proper codes: Ethics Code, Personnel code, Administrative code. These are essential in order to create accountability, eliminate nepotism and to have rules that are administered evenly and fairly for all county employees.
3. Budget: We need to improve our county credit rating in order to refinance and reduce our debt. We need to find way to consolidate and cut to reduce expenses along with find ways to increase revenue. The goal is to have an efficient government where the taxpayer’s dollars are maximized and not wasted.
4. To find ways to help bring in more business and revenue to Luzerne County.
5. I want all council meetings to be live via the website so people from home can view what decisions the council will be making. I am proud to have initiated it with the Government Study Commission and I believe it should be done with the new council to be fully transparent!
3. ARE YOU WILLING TO SET ASIDE YOUR PRIORITIES FOR THE GOOD OF THE WHOLE COUNTY?
Absolutely!! I am proud to say I have a track record over the last two years why being on both home rule committees in making sound, ethical and transparent decisions for the county! I have been outspoken when policies and procedures were not being handled properly. I will continue to ask questions at meetings in order to bring out all the facts and will always agree to disagree with my fellow council members.
4. TELL ME YOU’RE IDEAL OF AN IDEAL COUNTY MANAGER.
The county manager needs to have a track record of working with other municipalities similar to Luzerne County. This person not only needs to be experiences but has to have the vision of finding ways to eliminate waste in our county while delivering the services expected to the taxpayers. It goes without question that this person needs to be ethical and not tied to any political groups. I am on record that I would like to see ALL of the names of the applicants released to the public to show that there is nothing to hide in the selection process.
5. WOULD YOU SACRIFICE YOUR RE ELECTION FOR A TOUGH DECISION?
Absolutely!!! As I stated earlier, I am no one’s rubber stamp! This is about moving this county forward and without question tough decisions need to be made. I have made those tough decisions while being on the home rule committees and I will continue to make those decisions if elected to this council.
6. ARE YOU WILLING TO RAISE TAXES IF THERE ARE NO OTHER OPTIONS?
The honest answer is yes. How could any candidate say they would not when the current county commissioners are sitting on a $23 million dollar deficit? I will not tell the public what they want to hear, I will tell them the truth!! I think it is unethical for any candidate to say they will never raise taxes when they don’t know what kind of budget will be handed to them in January f 2012. When they state there are other options, they need to explain specifically where they will cut or raise $23 million in order not to raise taxes. Council has only 45 days to change the budget when sworn in. I will do everything in my powers to NOT raise taxes and to cut where we need to but as someone who has worked with budgets of this size knows that it is easier said than done! My experience of being on the Home Rule Transition Committee allows me to see and understand that this county transition will take time and will not take place over night.
7. DEFINE ETHICS FOR ME.
Making decisions where you are able to look at your constituents in the eye, yourself in the mirror and would never embarrass your family name.
8. DO YOU SEE YOURSELF AS A LEADER, FOLLOWER OR A PERSON OF FLEXIBILITY?
I see myself as a person of flexibility. I want to work with the other candidates toward a common goal and to work to accomplish the tasks at hand. I also want to be a County Council member who listens to what my fellow members have to say and take their opinions into consideration. We have a very big job ahead of us. It is going to take both citizens and elected council members alike to make sure we make sound decisions.
9. WHAT SPECIFICALLY DO YOU SEE THE ROLE OF COUNTY GOVERNMENT BEING?
The role of county government is to deliver the needed services to the residents of the county in the most efficient manner possible. Everyone understands that they have to pay taxes. The key is to make sure that their tax dollars are being spent efficiently, ethically and not wasted! It is also critical that the taxpayers trust and are fully aware as to how their tax dollars are being spent!
Why you should be elected in 100 words or less
As the only candidate who has served on both Home Rule Committees I feel I can bring unique knowledge and experience to this 11 person council in making sure that this new government gets off on the right track. I believe that my background in finance (M.B.A in Finance) can help bring realistic approaches in finding ways to cut waste along with bring in more revenue for the county. Lastly, I have a proven track record of being an independent thinker and not being pulled by any political factions. I have a history of being totally transparent and will continue to be if elected. To sum it up, I am experienced, qualified and prepared for the job!!!


Tim Mullen, Libertarian candidate for Luzerne County Council.

TIM MULLEN-LIBERTARIAN

1. WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DO YOU WANT OUT OF BEING A COUNTY COUNCIL MEMBER?
I was born, raised, and lived my entire life in Luzerne County. I started working and paying taxes since age thirteen. I worked in warehouses and trucking after high school and was a Teamsters Union member at age nineteen. I enlisted in the Army Reserves in my twenties and spent 23 years in that program retiring in 2008. I was called to active duty three times including Operation Desert Storm, and two tours in Operation Iraqi Freedom. I earned the Bronze Star Medal for service in and around Mosul, Iraq around the period of the Battle of Mosul during the bloodiest month of that war in November 2004. I attended the local community college on the Montgomery GI bill earning my Nursing degree in 1994. I have been employed a a nursing supervisor for HCR ManorCare in Hanover Twp. since that time.
I want the opportunity to lead this county out of the financial and moral abyss it has fallen into. One of the main reasons I entered politics is because I saw absolutely no one lead, from our courthouse right on up to the White House. Politicians told you everything that you wanted to hear and that if you followed them they would lead you to a land of milk and honey. No one ever mentions the word sacrifice. I figured if no was willing to lead I'd just do the job myself. I'll tell you about sacrifice and that it will apply equally for all including courts, union rank and file, management, and the taxpayer.
2. IT’S A BIG COUNTY, WHAT ARE YOUR PRIORITIES AS AN ELECTED MEMBER?
Number one priority is that I don't want to see one more homeowner in this county lose their home due to a Luzerne County property tax increase. Number two is to begin the long process of paying down debt that has been accumulated by previous administrations. Number three is ending pay to play, nepotism, and cronyism.
3. ARE YOU WILLING TO SET ASIDE YOUR PRIORITIES FOR THE GOOD OF THE WHOLE COUNTY?
No, My priorities will be for the good of the whole county.
4. TELL ME YOUR IDEAL OF AN IDEAL COUNTY MANAGER.
This person will have a background in finance, accounting, and management, preferably in government. Most important of all he or she should be unbiased and be able to be be a "people person". This person will come from outside the area due to the likelihood of some type of political ties. Most of the constituency that I have spoken would not trust local talent for this job. Restoring trust in out county government is of up most importance.
5. WOULD YOU SACRIFICE YOUR RE ELECTION FOR A TOUGH DECISION?
Absolutely. Leadership is about making tough, but perhaps unpopular decisions. I am a man of principles and I will not go against them. If it costs me a re-election, so be it. I would have stood my ground. Our forefathers never envisioned career politicians in the first place. I would then return to my nursing profession full time.
6. ARE YOU WILLING TO RAISE TAXES IF THERE ARE NO OTHER OPTIONS?
No. Services will be cut, benefits will be reduced, salaries cut. and raises foregone. I prefer attrition before layoffs. This is the sacrifice I spoke of. The taxpayers of this county are at their breaking point. Taking more from them will in no way create jobs or produce wealth. The private sector is more efficient than government at creating wealth producing jobs. Tax increases will only encourage more people to leave this county and discourage business from staking a claim here.
7. DEFINE ETHICS FOR ME.
The ability to always make decisions for the greater good of one's constituency. To know that one's place is as a servant, not to be served.
8. DO YOU SEE YOURSELF AS A LEADER, FOLLOWER OR A PERSON OF FLEXIBILITY?
A leader. I do have flexibility, however, only up to the point where I would violate one of my principles.
9. WHAT SPECIFICALLY DO YOU SEE THE ROLE OF COUNTY GOVERNMENT BEING?
An efficient performer of traditional services such as that I remember growing up in this county, whether it was obtaining a passport, a deed, or a marriage licence. The same hold true for the courts. It should be a provider of basic necessities to only those that have no other recourse only after all other options have failed. The county must cease to slap down the businessman and the taxpayer with excessive taxation, regulation, and pay to play. For more information you can visit my web site www.votemullen.com.
Sincerely, Tim Mullen, Luzerne County Council candidate.

4 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For someone to make a blanket statement that they would never raise taxes demonstrates that he is not aware of how government operates. To perform mandated services, some revenue is exclusive to those functions. Reduce or cut the services and the revenue also goes away. Unfortunately, real estate taxes are the only all encompassing revenue unless the state gets off their butts to broaden the alternatives (e.g. county sales tax). I guess it's okay for someone to promise no tax increases to get elected, but let's get real and not make false promises. There is no question that current and previous administrations have wasted vast amounts of the taxpayers' dollars, but one needs to understand the details before making such statements.

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but Mullen lives in a fantasy world. He thinks he can run government like it is his private business and there are no rules .... wrong! Mullen does not belong in government. He should spend his time working with kids or volunteering at the local nursing homes. He absolutely lives in a fantasy world.

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a problem when a candidate who is not a rich man spends his money to get elected and says he will not accept the pay that goes along with the job. I learned a long time ago that there is no Santa. Sorry Rick but I just don't trust that kind of comment so no vote for you.

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonk, I watched Mullen's interview video on Gort and I have to say, I agree that this guy does not belong in government. He just doesn't get it and he has no understanding of how county government works. He made a comment about the cost of the court system and he would get those costs reduced. The guy has no idea what those costs are or how they are incurred. He doesn't understand that the courts are mandated to provide certain services and with no experience what so ever, he declares that Luzerne County court system is over staffed. He based that opinion on counties of similar size. Again he doesn't understand that size has nothing to do with services required. I have issues with other things he said but suffice it to say that I will not be voting for Tim Mullen or the group he seems to hang with. OK, one more oint ...... he said he will reduce his full time job to part time if being on County Councl demands more time. Clearly, the man has no clue as to what the job of County Council is. After they put the various policies in place and hire a county manager, their job is pretty much done. They will need to approve the annual budget but they don't even get to prepare it. They become little more than a rubber stanp for the county manager but Mullen doesn't know that because he doesn't understand the Charter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home