Saturday, March 31, 2012

The LuLac Edition #2004, March 31st, 2012


This Maryland resident is reported to be one of the winning ticket holders.
(Satire: not accurate).

SPRING BLOGFEST REVIEW

Spring Blogfest is I the books and a good time was had by all. It was great to see my fellow writers, posters and good friends at Rooney’s in Pittston. Thanks to the Citizen’s Voice and WYLN TV 35 for stopping by and doing a story on the event. The project, like blogs keeps getting bigger and better every year and that is because the people who have blog sites take them as seriously as they do full time jobs and have a commitment to the truth as they see it. While I personally appreciate the support blogs have received from the so called “mainstream” media in this area, there is a long way to go for bloggers getting the recognition they deserve. When a political story breaks in the area or as it relates nationally, the same two Professors at Wilkes and King’s are asked for a comment every time. Why? In terms of political insight, they aren’t any smarter or articulate than anybody in that bar last night. The people who write the blogs are an enormous warehouse of information on all subjects ranging from cooking to geothermal nuclear warfare. I wish the media who now have blogs of their own, inspired by the local trend would utilize the talent that out there right now. It would improve your news product and give you ore variety of opinion. Not to mention opinion that is well informed and topical.
(We’ll post photos from blogfest in future editions.)

MEGA MILLIONS

I played the game. On my way up to WYLN TV 35 last night for Topic A, I stopped in my favorite convenience store in Drums, Pa. (The Citgo next to the Wendy’s) and bought two tickets. Plus a Coke Zero for Mrs. LuLac and a Third Base hoagie for us to split today for a snack. I’m happy to report that I was one of 33,884 PA players who matched 2 of 5 and the Mega Ball. Why do people play the big game? Precisely because it is the big game. No one wants to be left out, and if lightning strikes lucky, you want to be holding the winning ticket. According to the on line information, I won ten bucks which I am grateful for. My friend Joe Thomas from WILK said on his Facebook page that he’d make a very good rich person. So would I. I’d be the same guy that I am now, but less cranky. I’d most likely be busier than ever because I would set up a trust to give a lot of it away. When the Sunday Dispatch in Pittston was sold to Capitol Cities, the owner and publisher, the late Pidge Watson said something that I’ll never forget. When peppered by well meaning folks about how much he got for the paper, he said it was a fair price. Then he said “Money is a funny thing. If you have more than you really need, you get in trouble. A man can only have one house, he can only drive one car at a time, have so many clothes and can only eat and drink so much. Once you get past a million bucks, you get into dangerous areas. You spend not because of something you want, but you spend just because you can. Then you get into Michael Jackson territory when you’re buying llamas and corpses of people….just because you can”. I never forgot that and I believe that is the reason why I’d be a sane rich guy. But with my ten bucks, I’m going to have to resort to another quote from another wise man, this one, a fictional character, Tevye from “Fiddler On the Roof”,
"Lord who made the lion and the lamb,

You decreed I should be what I am.
Would it spoil some vast eternal plan?
If I were a wealthy man."

9 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonks,
Can you say, You'all?
Kentucky will win the National Championship Monday. A throw back to the old days of college B-ball
and Adolph Rupp except Kentuckys starting five black kids something Rupp could never have forseen or imagined.

Dr Naismith

 
At 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Yonk, if you wern't so damn cheap, you would have spent the extra buck for megga play and you would have won $30 instead of the $10 the cheap; folk got. I bet you even go for the cheap seats at the big events. Poor Mrs. LuLac, I feel very bad for her.

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Well Yonk, if you wern't so damn cheap, you would have spent the extra buck for megga play and you would have won $30 instead of the $10 the cheap; folk got. I bet you even go for the cheap seats at the big events. Poor Mrs. LuLac, I feel very bad for her.
FIRST OFF, I WAS NOT AWARE OF THE MEGA PLAY DEAL. I BOUGHT THE $2.00 TICKET. I BUY THESE GAMES OF CHANCE VERY SPORADICALLY. I'M NOT ONE OF THESE OLDSTERS BUYING FIFTY BUCKS OF VARIOUS NUMBER COMBOS AND HOLDING UP THE LINE. CHEAP????? I'M NOT. I BOUGHT MRS. LULAC A DAMN COKE ZERO AND LET HER HAVE HALF OF MY THIRD BASE HOAGIE FOR CHRIST SAKE!! IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO FEEL BAD FOR MRS. LULAC, THIS ISN'T THE THING. LET ME GIVE YOU A MORE ACCURATE GAUGE OF HOW BAD YOU SHOULD FEEL FOR HER, WE'RE GOING TO BE CELEBRATING 30 YEARS OF MARRIAGE THIS MONTH. THEN YOU CAN JOIN HER FAMILY AND FRIENDS IN FEELING TRULY HORRIFIED FOR HER.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Joe V said...

Yonk - I agree with your point on mainstream media reaching out to bloggers. I do have to recognize that Joe Holden of the I Team has reached out and interview me on many occasion on local politics
Joe V

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Yonk - I agree with your point on mainstream media reaching out to bloggers. I do have to recognize that Joe Holden of the I Team has reached out and interview me on many occasion on local politics.
JOE, I AGREE. THE TV COVERAGE OF OUR BLOG EVENTS AS WELL AS THE NEWSPAPER COVERAGE IS VERY, VERY GOOD. AND I APPRECIATE THEIR SUPPORT. GUYS LIKE MIKE BUFFER, MIKE SISAK AND BILL O'BOYLE FREQUENTLY REACH OUT TO BLOGGERS FOR COMMENTS. BUT OTHER PEOPLE IN THE MEDIA THINK THAT TOM BALDINO AND DAVID SOSAR ARE THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT POLITICS. SAME WITH PCN, THEY HAVE NO ROOM FOR ANYONE THAT DOES NOT WORK AT A MAJOR NEWSPAPER, OR A POLLSTER THAT ISN'T TERRY MADONNA. THAT'S ALL I'M SAYING.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Michelle HD said...

My name is spelled Michelle HryVnak DAvies. Please correct it. Thanks.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
My name is spelled Michelle HryVnak DAvies. Please correct it. Thanks.
DONE.

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous CC in Lackawanna County said...

David,
Jerks like anonymous aren't worth the time of day- don't let them jerk your chains around. You do a great job. Never forget that.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Well Yonk, if you wern't so damn cheap, you would have spent the extra buck for megga play and you would have won $30 instead of the $10 the cheap; folk got. I bet you even go for the cheap seats at the big events.
HEY, I CASHED THE TICKET IN TODAY AND I DID WIN $30.00. SO THOSE GUYS AT THE DRUMS CITGO WERE LOOKING OUT FOR ME BIG TIME. BTW, WHEN MRS. LULAC AND I DO GO TO CONCERTS, WE GO FIRST CLASS. LIFE IS TOO SHORT.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home