Sunday, January 27, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2341, January 27th, 2013

President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. (Photo: AOL.com).

OBAMA/CLINTON LOVE FEST 

Did you happen to see that love fest between President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton tonight on “60 Minutes?” Wow. The one time fierce rivals were complimenting each other to beat the band. If I wrote it once, I must have written  it 100 times. If not for those small, red state caucuses in the 2008 march to the nomination, Hillary Clinton might be President. Keep in mind that less than 125 votes separated the two when Clinton conceded the nomination. In my memory, I have never seen a send off and well done like this in American politics. Steve Kroft mentioned that this was President Obama’s idea. 
Okay then. But as I watched the program, what  I was thinking about was the unseen man in all of this. Call me a political cynic but I can’t help that either  before, during or after the rough and tumble campaign of 2012, someone might have said to former President Bill Clinton, “Thanks for your help. Just let us know if we could ever do anything for you short of training interns or an Ambassdorship”  
I’m thinking Bill might have picked up the phone after the election and the Secretary’s concussion and said, “Hey remember when you asked me if there was anything you can do for me?’ 
To quote a former Governor from Alaska, “I betcha!”

5 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stanley Karnow passed away today. His History of the Vietnam War was a landmark book and a great PBS series. His handling of the subject was evenhanded as evidenced by the fact that he was criticized by the right and the left almost equally.
He was there before it really began
for the US and was regarded by his fellow journalists as a true Southeast Asia expert. In addition to 12 months of first hand study, I have read well over 50 books on Vietnam covering both the history of the country and the US involvement in the War. In the end I believe it was a mistake which taught many lessons most of which unfortunately not well learned by our government or military. I appreciate Mr Karnows dedication to his topic and his extensive efforts. Of note, one book I would recommend to any student or interested reader is Bernard Falls "HELL IN A VERY SMALL PLACE" about the failed French fiasco at Dien Bien Phu in 1954. It provides a roadmap of the future and is perhaps the ultimate cautionary tale. Mr Fall was killed on patrol with the US Marines still in country in the mid sixties. Stanley Karnow, David Halberstam and Bernard Fall are all gone now and although a distant memory Vietnam will always be with us but forever enlightened by their efforts and those of others. There remains much to be learned from the study of History.

Jim Petrie

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone else commented on how the President and Secretary Clinton have aged on another post. I watched last night and wow, while yes the president seems as if he has aged much more than 4 years, the stress and strain of the office seems to have really have taken a toll on Secretary Clinton. I was really shocked to see her.
I know many people want her to run, me included, if she does, she really needs to take better care of herself. Perhaps you should get Casey Evans, who i believe worked on her campaign, and frequent contributor Doc Joe Lenarde together and have him help her out.

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're way too cynical. I'm thinking more that she deserved the praise and it didn't need to be soliticited

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Mary said...

I think you are right-definite political debt being paid- but I also buy that they are friendly. thought their comments about it being harder for their staffs & spouses to accept the friendship was more interesting- don't buy Michele & Bill having the same warm fuzzy feelings

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Professor will undoubtedly predict that Hillary Clinton won't be our next president.

Given his predictions of "President-Elect Romney", I'm taking it as a sign that she will, in fact, be the next leader of the free world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home