Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2377, March 13th, 2013

Pope Francis I. (Photo: AOL) 

THE NEW POPE: A PARADOXICAL PASTOR 


The selection of a Latin American Pope has created more questions than answers. Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio was the runner up in the last conclave that elected Benedict VIth. Did the impression he made 8 years ago stick with the College of Cardinals this time? And was there a concern that at the age of 76 could he be too old? (Remember Benedict was 78 when elected in 2005). Will the new Pope’s background as a Chemistry Teacher strengthen the Church’s resolve on matters of science? Or will it give him the secular experience to bridge the gap in terms of the issues facing the Church like stem cell research. 
The new Pope has shown great compassion for the poor. And he said in his opening homily that he wished to evangelize Rome. Will we see a sharing of the Vatican Treasury to developing countries? Will he have the administrative prowess to fix the financial problems in the Vatican? The best guess is going to come when we see who he appoints as his Secretary of State, the ultimate insider who will try to manage the Curia. 
His initial appearance was calming, reassuring and gave us a view into the humanity of the man. While Benedict portrayed a worldly, almost aristocratic view, this new Pope seems to be the exact opposite. At first blush, this Pope will hold the conservative doctrines of the previous two Popes. While John Paul II had a progressive appearance, in reality he dug in to any changes in church doctrine regarding Birth Control, Ordination of women and Sexual orientation. It will be interesting to see if this Pope will move on any social changes that will be more in keeping with the west. 
This Pope represents a number of firsts, the first Jesuit, the first Cardinal from the West who will be representing the majority of Catholics (Latin America has over 501 million Catholics) as well as the first runner up in a previous conclave to be chosen. 
The Papacy is a transformational office. We’ve seen what a Cardinal Bergoglio stood for and believed. It will be interesting and instructive to see how Pope Francis I will lead and whether like John XXIIIrd, there might be some divine flexibility living within the confines of his soul. 

4 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new Pope is Francis. Can we call him Frank? Pope Frank!

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we have all had exposure to the Jesuit Order so nothing Pope FRANCIS does will really surprise me. I was surprised that he came super close to offering a general absolution and he had me on the edge of my seat waiting to see if he completed the wording. As old as I am, and St Johns grade and high school, it amazes me the number of people who have given up the sacrament of penance and simply examine their own conscious and then walk up the aisle. I have had too much indoctrination to do it. I've attended the Polish National church and they do a general absolution during the mass and I'm sure you know that there mass is exactly like ours. I've been waiting a long time for the RC to accept general confession but I just don't know if I will live to see it. It drives me nuts that people don't understand that Penance is a sacrament just as Communion or any of the others......there is grace attached to each sacrament. I knew it couldn't happen but I was pulling for Nolan but I'm not at all unhappy with the choice of Pope Francis. Having a Jesuit at the helm might be an exciting thing. We can discuss this more later. Wilpecairm 7137

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn I hate it when my spell check is actually used and I don't see the miss use of a word.... there=their and of course, looking at my signature, it is obvious that the first time I typed in the verification codes, I was still on my signature line. I'm getting to hate these damn puters but their in my blood and I'm addicted.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey 12:33PM.....WATCH IT.
The Hater who is always criticizing the Yonk is going to come after you. You did a pre emptive strike, smart move to ward off that ass wipe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home