Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2421, May 14th, 2013

Frank Sinatra. (Photo: www.telegraph.com)

SINATRA GONE 15 YEARS 


15 years ago tonight, two pop cultural events happened in America. The first was the Seinfeld finale. It left me cold at the time but as I watched the thing in reruns, it grew on me. But the most significant thing was the death of Frank Sinatra. At the time I was working for Rock 107 and WEJL/WBAX AM. The AM station had a Popular Standards format. Immediately the Program Director shifted to an All Sinatra format in tribute to Sinatra. 
That night (Mrs. FB was out of town) I couldn't sleep. It was a warm May evening. I popped the top on my car and drove all around Scranton and Wilkes Barre listening to the radio until 5AM. I think most everyone has a favorite Sinatra song. Here's mine: (I danced to this at every broadcast Christmas party I ever was at in the 90s. THANK GOD there were no Iphones then!)

3 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the good fortune in my career in the Record and Music Biz to see everyone I wanted to see and some of em twice, but I foolishly passed on Sinatra's first retirement tour around '74.
Always regretted it. He made songs his own with absolutely brilliant phrasing and he surrounded himself with the best writers and musicians. Truly a Great.

JP

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Junction said...

Well I finally found out who that nut was back 15 years ago who woke me up with loud music as they drove by my house.

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is Frank Sinatra?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home