Saturday, June 08, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2442, June 8th, 2013

Our Maybe I’m Amazed” logo. 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED 


MAYBE I’M AMAZED………..that the passions against China always come to the forefront when a U.S. President has a meeting with their head of State. The President needs to strike a balance between being tough on our economics as well as making certain we get equal trade footing with China. A little tough talk however will need to be backed up with some action. But even the thought that they are meeting is raising the ire of many Americans. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………..that two parents of a few Meyers High School students are upset that their “little darlings” may not walk across the stage when they graduate high school to get their diplomas this week. Seems they broke into the school, stacked desks in one room, knocked practice hurdles on the football field and poured marbles on a floor. The parents are calling this a “prank”, I’m with the School principal, Mike Elias who said it crossed the line into being a break in. I mean when you an invade a locked property, especially a school after hours, that is a break in, right? If I left my house now, (as I’m writing this at 10PM on a Saturday and enter my workplace when I’m not supposed to be there, is that not an invasion? Here are the rich quotes from James Halpin’s story in the Citizen’s Voice from “the moms”. "The parents are being punished because we're the ones that wait to see our kids walk across stage to graduate," said Elizabeth Cerase, 34, whose 18-year-old son Rudolph Goodwin is among the students. "They're not only punishing them, they're punishing us at the same time."  
Maybe if this woman taught her kid some commonsense and right from wrong, they wouldn’t be defending their kid in the paper for something so obvious. The parents say they have pleaded with school officials for an alternate punishment, but administrators won't budge. School officials also won't refund the costs of senior night, the cap and gown, and photos that parents already paid, Laura Tabaka said. Then, parents learned Friday morning some of the students involved in the prank were at a graduation rehearsal with the rest of the class, she said. "They pick and choose what kids are going to be held responsible," Tabaka said. "This is a huge deal to us. I have people coming from out of state to see this. You cannot pick and choose what kids are worthy of walking across the stage when they all did basically the same thing." 
If this is true, the school district should ban all thirty from doing the walk. Like the parents said, you can’t selectively punish, teach all 30 of them a lesson.
Tennis great Maria Sharapova. (Photo: LuLac archives). 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that my girl, Maria Sharapova didn’t defend her crown at the French Open. Sharapova had an uphill battle with Serena Williams on a rampage against her and wanting to prove her dominance once again as one of the best players in tennis history. But Sharapova put up a fight and gave us an excuse to put her photo up on LuLac. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..and saddened at the fact that the Posten Taxi Cab Company has ceased operations. I’ve always had a soft spot for cabs in my heart, even working a summer (’95) for the Greater Pittston Cab Company. Those cars will be missed on the roadways of Wilkes Barre but at least the drivers won’t have to be worried about getting robbed from the bandits in the Diamond City. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that police on the West Side got paid cash under the table to police a Middle School series of dances. The Kingston Police Chief has “retired” over the incident. I have no trouble with police moonlighting, hell former Police Chiefs double dip all the time. But since they got cash, the IRS should get involved. Under the table gets a waitress in trouble, the same should happen to the police too. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that there have been at least 10 Rookies of the Year who have been over the age of 28. Jackie Robinson of the Dodgers comes to mind as well as the Braves 33 year old Sam Jethroe. But they were Negro League players getting their first break. A generation later Kazuhiro Sasaki,  32 and Ichiro Suzuki, 27 won the Rookie of the Year in 2000 and 2001 respectively. But the most interesting old guy was the Phillies Jack Sanford, who in 1957 at the age of 28 went 19-8 and struck out 188. The Phillies then traded him a few years later to the San Francisco Giants. I’m struck by how the baseball landscape is littered with former Phillies who were their rookies of the year. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that a manned rocket can reach the moon in less time than a stagecoach could travel the length of Great Britain. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that when I post something on LuLac, I have no idea what is going to set posters off. I might work on an article for weeks and nothing. Then I throw up something quick, and all hell breaks loose. Keep reading though, and reacting. It is appreciated though, and unpredictable, like life. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that the human brain takes up 2% of the human body weight but uses 20% of its energy.

6 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

David:

Last time you went out for an Abe's hot dog, I slipped in and put some chicken wing sauce in the tip of your loafers. So if you've been craving wings and don't know why, my bad. Just funning. (Sorry I drank that Tab you had hidden in the back of your deli tray. Pranking makes me thirsty.)

Jimbo

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it hard to believe that people believe the president should not meet with representatives of the government of China. The day we stop communicating with any nation will be the day we begin our ride down a slipery slope. Communications prevents misunderstanding which result in major problems including war.

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you all the way on the Meyers incident.

Too many mommies and daddies go through life thinking that raising their kids means "never having to accept responsibility" by either party, period.

Schools and public places are NOT open targets for vandalism, pranks, destruction, etc.

Maybe if the all the involved students AND their parents got together as a group and repaired all the damage done BEFORE graduation ceremonies, then: "let 'em walk".

I don't mean hire a contractor for anything "except" supervision to insure a quality result. I mean "getting their hands dirty" in the process.

Everyone.
All or nothing.
No exceptions.

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Yonki:
I might work on an article for weeks and nothing. Then I throw up something quick, and all hell breaks loose.
Your answer is in the above.
Just because readers don't react, does not mean they are not reading.

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sort of agree with the Kingston Mayor about liabilities, but the money is minor for the IRS to go after. Do they want bigger fish? Go after the district 2 PIAA refs, umpires and other officials. Never realized how many do games year round in different sports and get paid cash from the gate. They even move the scheduling around between different school districts since there is a supposed threshold that if you go above it(600?) a 1099 must be issued. Not hard to reach since varsity BB refs get about 70 bucks each a game, and Field Hockey refs over 100 bucks a game. The cops are small potatoes.....

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OM! "Pennsylvania's Foremost Political Analyst". (edited)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home