Monday, April 28, 2014

The LuLac Edition #2645, April 28th, 2014

WOLF BARRELS INTO THE LAC

Democratic candidate for Governor Tom Wolf Monday night at Genetti's in Dickson City. (Photo: Mrs. LuLac)
Political campaigns have a start, a middle and an end. But the most important part of a campaign is the way it conducts itself in the closing days of a race. Tom Wolf is ahead in raising money for the 2014 Governor’s contest in the Democratic primary. The York County businessman is also leading in the polls. But in the enthusiasm race the Wolf campaign is clearly on the upswing and heading for home with a lot of excited Democrats.
More than 200 loud and proud Wolf supporters converged on Genetti’s in Dickson City tonight and it is apparent the Tom Wolf message was well received if thunderous applause and disappearance of yard signs are any indicators.
The crowd was first greeted by Lackawanna County Recorder of Deeds Evie Refalko McNulty. McNulty spoke of her initial meeting with Wolf long before the campaign and declared him as “a salt of the earth” type of guy. If anyone can warm up a crowd, it is Refalko McNulty who was a cross between Carol Burnett and Roseanne Barr with the one liners. But turning serious she implored local Democrats that Pennsylvania was at a turning point and need Wolf’s human touch as well as his smarts.
I have heard many campaign introductions in my life but tonight’s introduction of the candidate by former Lackawanna County Commissioner Mike Washo was the best I ever heard. Seriously. The guy revved up the crowd and noted that he canceled elective surgery on one of his wheels (my term not his) to do the honors. Using plenty of body language Washo asked the assembled Dems to give Wolf a very large majority in this year’s primary.
But one thing Washo said quietly resonated with many in the crowd. Washo declared that if he never, ever worked for another candidate in his lifetime, he will be glad and honored that he chose to support Wolf in this pivotal race for Governor. Personally I feel the same way.
When Wolf took the podium here’s what I realized. Wolf quietly connects with people. He spoke of his volunteerism in the Peace Corps, his education and the building of his business as the right things to do in his life. I got from that little glimpse into his personal resume that nothing he did was a calculation to get to the next step. Wolf said he did things because the times called for them.
The candidate said that he was in effect not running for Governor as most people would think in the traditional, political grandstanding way but rather applying for the job as the Commonwealth’s Chief Executive. Wolf essentially said, here’s what I’ve done, here’s what I can do.
One thing Wolf ended with really hit home. He declared that Pennsylvania is a big state in the middle of all the commercial action. It has great cities, universities that people from all the world over utilize as well as a good, decent, hard working people. But he said Pennsylvania needs to shed the modesty in terms of its stature and accomplishments. The candidate said that Pennsylvanians need to declare the strength of what the state has to offer and move it to a new level.
Wolf said he didn’t want to just warm a seat but wanted to do the right thing. Wolf said it is time for people to elect a Governor who will recognize the many people doing the work instead of the select few reaping the rewards.
Evie Refalko McNulty hit a single, Mike Washo creamed double to center field. Candidate Tom Wolf cleared the bases and knocked it out of the park with his remarks tonight. 
 Evie Refalko McNulty wows the crowd. 
 State Representative Marty Flynn greeted the candidate on the dais.
It was great to see my old radio buddy Thom Welby at the event along with Representative Flynn.
The last time I saw Mike Washo was on the set of the old WYOU TV Interactive News when he was a Commissioner with Corey O'Brien and we were guests on the program. As I said, Washo, a regular reader of LuLac really had the crowd on their feet.
Had the opportunity to say hello to a very busy Evie Refalko McNulty this evening. 
Had an opportunity to speak with WOLF TV's host of the weekly Volpe on Fox 56 program Paola Giangiacomo. Her aces photographer was not photo bombing us, he's Frank Deom and owns Vid Your Biz. 
I'm not a hunter or a fisherman but I had to speak to retired State Representative Ed Staback and thank him for his contributions through the years on behalf of area hunters and outdoors people.

3 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh who cares.

"Hi, I'm Tom Wolf. I have the personality of a stale marshmallow and I'm a pretend liberal. I'm leading in the polls because I'm a millionaire that blew tons of bucks on my own race and, as a consequence, am now buying my own election. Please vote for me, and I'll let your miserable, dying area die slightly less quickly than Tom Corbett is letting it."

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see my comment mocking Mr. Wolf did not get approved, which is surprising given that there was nothing objectionable about it. I knew you were in the tank for Wolf, Yonki, but I didn't think you'd suddenly embrace censorship for dissenting opinions.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh who cares.
I see my comment mocking Mr. Wolf did not get approved...
SORRY, MISSED IT. I'M SURE MR. WOLF HAS SURVIVED WORSE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home