Saturday, September 13, 2014

The LuLac Edition #2729, September 13th, 2014

13 QUESTIONS

Our “13 Questions” logo.


EDITOR'S NOTE: I pushed up three questions that were sent this week regarding the Governor's race and the NFL. We'll get to the other questions next month. Thanks for your understanding.

1. Here’s what I’m not understanding, why are people in this area who will benefit from a Wolf administration in Harrisburg so much against him? I heard you on Tarone and was in shock. Thoughts?

It is the nature of politics in the 21st century. No one sees what the mission is ahead. They go to the instant attack mode. They’ll tell go after Wolf’s financial proposals but they’ll complain when they find out it will make certain people who are working will get tax relief. It will be a tax break but that’s a bad thing because it is coming from a Democrat.
We have become so cynical that we look to the worst in people not the best. I choose to look for the best in Tom Wolf because I’ve seen the worst of Tom Corbett.
I continue to be astounded that an area that will vote lock step for Democrats will have a pocket of naysayers who think having a business in Pennsylvania that actually competes with China is a bad thing.
I’m astounded that people will crucify a millionaire who “had his” when he sold the business but when the Financial crisis hit in 2007-2008 chose to rebuild that business taking it back from the venture capitalists. But yet the Wall Street people who caused the down slide never even got a tap on the wrist.
I’m astounded that some people will want to make joining the Peace Corps in the 60s a bad thing.
However after reflecting on all of this further, I have come to one conclusion. When you got nothing to defend, you attack.

2. Do you agree with the Wolf strategy about not engaging the media in his events?

I am a Wolf supporter. Have been since February after looking at the other three running against him. Wolf has taken questions from people at events. I have seen it, hell I even asked one of the questions. He was in four debates in the spring. Wasn’t anyone paying attention then?
In my life as a political junkie and now doing this site for more than eight years, I have come to one conclusion: politicians are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Ed Rendell was a media hog some said who never passed the opportunity to speak into a microphone. Tom Corbett when he first came into office wasn’t warm and fuzzy like Rendell and had fewer press conferences. You can’t win.
Politicians are people. They have their own individual styles. That style will guide any campaign. Plus campaigns set the rules. It is their event. Right now the referendum on this is not available, that will happen on Election Day.
If people want to vote against a guy because they have hurt feelings that he did not hold multiple news conferences like Ed Rendell, that’s their choice. The same goes for Tom Corbett too. I can’t tell you the number of Republicans who told me that Corbett is not a people guy and they don’t like him. He’s not nice.
Jesus!
I think it is a sad state of affairs when you choose to not vote for a candidate, Wolf or Corbett because he hurt your feelings by not bloviating all over the place or because you think he’s a cold fish.
Instead of hiring Media Consultants, maybe the Wolf and Corbett campaigns should have just visited a fifth grade class somewhere to get their advice.

3. As an NFL fan what are your thoughts on the recent problems regarding violence against women and children?

What can I say that hasn’t already been said. First let’s go with Ray Rice. How Roger Godell messed up on this one I’ll never know. Starting with the two game suspension and now letting freaking TMZ lead the media charge on this is incomprehensible to me. The Rice situation highlights what we have always known, star athletes or even those with potential get special treatment.
Breaks. Just like O.J.
And as long as women continue to wear Ray Rice jerseys and fans only care about the wins….it won’t change.
As for Adrian Peterson, gotta say as a person who got slapped by nuns, had a ruler with a steel edge brought down on my hands for minor infractions when I was a kid, I at first thought, okay, maybe this was a different way, maybe a Texas way of parenting. But the hospital report that reported the four year old had cuts and wounds from the slashes, that changed everything for me. But Peterson will do a mea culpa, get a suspension and be back on the field. It’s the way of sports and the way of the world. It’s wrong but will take years to change.

4. The Wilkes Barre Area School Board finally adopted a hiring policy but yet you went ballistic on them. What is your problem with them?

First off the Hiring Policy regarding anti nepotism is a good thing. And long overdue. But as The Times Leader pointed out in an Editorial and as I pointed out on Monday, they reversed any chance of a positive reaction by hiring the father of a board member. It’s like a ballplayer hitting a home run and then thumbing his nose as he rounds the bases at the crowd. In politics as in life, perception is reality. This major accomplishment had a hitch. And the hitch came from within the board which telegraphed to the public that when it comes to relatives they just can’t help themselves with immediate gratification. Is the Thomas family in such dire straits that they couldn’t hold off on this appointment? My objection was more to the way the board buried the lead on their own positive story. Strategy guys, strategy.

5. Best pro baseball ball field memory for you?

A few that I treasure. The first was seeing the great Hall of Famer Jimmy Foxx at the Junction Flats in 1961 throwing out the first ball. Then seeing my first game at Yankee Stadium 35 years ago on Catfish Hunter Day. A few years later I had the opportunity to meet many Hall of Famers when I did my baseball column for the Sunday Dispatch,. But those two rank right up there.

6. Are you excited about CBS carrying Thursday Night Football?

Maybe later in the season. Right now we watch Project Runway and given the choice, watching sweaty men or Heidi Klum….you know my preference. I don’t care if it’s the game of the century either.


7. Attendance was down at the Stadium in Moosic this year. Did you go and do you have an opinion?

Believe it or not I did not make it to the ballpark this year. First time in about twenty years that I missed. I think Minor League baseball has to compete with the frantic lifestyle of everyday people. They have a good product, a beautiful facility but that’s the nut they have to crack. Figuring out how to capture those working families.

8. I know in the summer you’re not a TV guy but did you find anything you like on the tube?

Yes. I heard about this show on NPR called “Garfunkel and Oates”. It’s a show about two female singers. I think the name is hilarious, (the names of the two most famous second bananas in rock and roll) and the show is funny. Mrs. LuLac is not a fan yet. Then PBS had a comedy called “Vicious” about two geriatric gay men in London. That show reminds me of the old Jack Benny and Burns and Allen shows. Totally true to a formula. We also saw a three part British series on PBS called "Breathless" which was a kind of answer to Madmen except this was medicine, not advertising. Then METV has now chosen to put Naked City on every night which will clog up the DVR but I’ll get through them.

9. The Rick Perry inducement, good or bad?

Good. It gives him traction, name recognition, redeems his run from 2012 and makes him a victim. That happens when politicians overreach. At their core you can count on most people being reasonable.

10. La Festa or Pittston Tomato Festival, who’s number one?

C’mon. you can’t pick. Love them both. The only solace to September is that is when the tomatoes are available for lunch or dinner.

11. I know you’re not a coffee drinker so what is your morning go to drink. I bet my wife it is Mountain dew?

Nope. Haven’t had that in years. My morning drinks are V8 Low sodium, water and a Diet Coke. Afternoon is a Diet Snapple and the rest of the water or another one. Once a week on a Friday I’ll do an eight ounce Coke with my Abe’s. I will also alternate between the low sodium V8 with a V8 Energy Diet drink too. That’s keeps me focused and sufficiently fueled to mightily annoy my coworkers.

12. State Attorney General Kathleen Kane has been underground lately. Do you know why?
State Attorney General Kathleen Kane. (Photo: Scranton Times Tribune).

Just because there is no visual presence doesn’t mean work isn’t getting accomplished. If you take a look at her website you’ll see the AG’s office is doing something of consequences ever day. What impresses me are the Outreach programs concerning seniors as well as youngsters. Here’s that link: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/presssearch.aspxhttp:

13. I heard you on Tarone speaking about the late Bob Crewe. What is your favorite Gaudio Crewe 4 Seasons song?
The late Bob Crewe. (Photo: CNN.com)

There are so many. But here are my three favorites and not in any order.



14 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonk, first of all, people are always against nepotism until they have the power to hire their own, then its never a problem. I agree and I'm not a hypocrite about it. If I were on a school board and there was a job one of my own qualified for you bet your butt I would do all I could to fill that job.

The NFL .... has anyone noticed that it is a violent sport and the men who participate are tough, rough guys who became that way by not taking any kind of aggression without fighting back without pause? I'm wondering if a licensed doctor hit his wife, would he be stopped from earning a living? Is there a mixed message out there to girls, women... females. whatever........ that it is ok to spit in a man's face, cuss him out, slap his face, punch him in the nuts or do what ever and not to worry because society says it is not OK for him to hit back I am not in any way condoning hitting women but I do understand that NFL players are super human when compared to the average guy and they have super human reactions which makes them NFL greats..... she spit in his face and hit him and he reacted. e has been trained all his life to react and if agression comes his way then he responds without thinking and that's called a "reaction." They got married since then and have no current problems so for me it is case closed and let the media find something else to write about.

 
At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...


Gettin old but my first baseball memory is Yankee Stadium Old Timers Day 1956. Got to see Joe D play in the OT Game and Mickey Mantle. Saw the Old Timers game for 5 years '56-'61.

Not a Seasons fan, but I know without Crewe they'd have been nowhere!

JP

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonk, no reply to your poster recognizing the mental atitude of NFL players? I personally never considered the comments made but they do make sense.

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...



I’m reading with amusement how people are SHOCKED, SHOCKED that my former co worker Mr. Yonki is solid for Tom Wolf. I tried to listen to Yonki and Tarone but the screeching of Tarone and need of Yonki to rebut everything was just too much to bear. But again to those who know him this should come as no surprise.
I worked with him starting in 2002 at Travelocity may it RIP!!!! Dave loved Ed Rendell and was a huge supporter. So much so that I know he got called into HR a number of times because of it. His cubicle was just inside the entrance to the work area. If you were coming from the lobby you’d see his desk and cubicle. If you entered the work area you were right on top of it.
Yonki would strategically place his blazer across the upper area of the cubicle so that a Rendell button the size o a ham sandwich could be seen by all. Every few weeks he’d get called in and the jacket would recede into the background. But then it would reappear.
The following year, 2003 he showed up at work in a tux and made his way to the Capitol cane and all for the Inauguration.
So let’s not be so shocked that he thinks a lot of Mr. Wolf. He was way over the moon about Fast Eddie.
So Sue Henry…if you think you’re the only bad ass breaking the rules you are incorrect. It was a new job and Yonki pushed that envelope as far as it would go.
Gary R.

BTW...when will the next big Wolf event be? Paid and unpaid. I gotta see this guy and see if I fall under the spell so many seem to be afraid of!! Cue the Twilight Zone music!!! lol

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, I'm not sure there is a catagory for non performer in the Grammy Awards system but if there is, for say a songwriter producer, Bob Crewe should be there.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
BTW...when will the next big Wolf event be? Paid and unpaid. I gotta see this guy and see if I fall under the spell so many seem to be afraid of!! Cue the Twilight Zone music!!! lol
I"M TOLD THERE WILL BE ANOTHER EVENT IN OCTOBER BUT I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY INFORMATION ON THAT FROM THE PEOPLE PLANNING IT.
GARY, THANKS FOR RE-POSTING AND PLEASE KNOW THERE ARE MANY, MANY PEOPLE WORKING VERY HARD TO GET MR. WOLF ELECTED. AT THE EVENT ON WEDNESDAY, THERE WERE MANY CO SPONSORS AND I'M SURE THERE WILL BE MORE PEOPLE LOOKING TO JUMP ON THE WAGON. CALL ME IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a question. How come we are still talking about what we are going to to about ISIS? The time for action is now! Already it cant be called "swift". Did the Japanese notify us about their plans for Pearl Harbor? No, of course not and thats why the attack was effective.
Is it perhaps that we really dont know what to do and are stalling while they are beheading more people? Lets accept that we will carry the load and at least start.
I understand that there is truly no real solution but to eliminate them from the earth and sporadic bombing campaigns will get us nowhere. Bomb them to hell or accept that troops are necessary. For Gods sake do something! Collateral damage is part of war and whatever it takes is the only approach possible in this case.

RGB

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1:59
Yes there is a Producer of the Year Grammy category as well as Song of the Year which is awarded to the Song Writer. To my knowledge Bob Crewe or the Four Seasons never won a Grammy. The Grammys in the early days were an inter industry thing and not the over the top affair we see on TV today. Categories have been added over the years. Many Artists, Writers and Producers who made a major impact have never been recognized. In the early days Writers and Producers were behind the scenes many working in the Brill Building in NY, on Music Row in Nashville or in LA.

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Yonki, I was wondering if you would admit that Tom Corbett has nicer hair than Tom Wolf or will you insist Wolf's hairline is superior and more stylish?

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Mr Yonki, I was wondering if you would admit that Tom Corbett has nicer hair than Tom Wolf or will you insist Wolf's hairline is superior and more stylish?
I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT GOVERNOR CORBETT HAS THE FINEST HEAD OF HAIR SINCE JOHN F. KENNEDY AND ULYSSES S. GRANT!
HIS HEAD OF HAIR IS EVEN MORE COPIOUS THAN FORMER MAYOR OF SCRANTON EUGENE PETERS AND HIS SON JOE'S HAIR.
HIS LOCKS ARE JUST AS THICK AS THE LATE WILKES BARRE MAYOR LEE NAMEY'S AND FORMER CONGRESSIONAL CANDIDATE AND WOLF SUPPORTER ATTORNEY BILL VINSKO.
HIS HAIR IS EVEN THICKER THAN JOHN WEBSTER'S AND JOHNNY LUCAS' MANE.
IT IS A FINE HEAD OF HAIR!

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hair is important in a politician.
Just look at JFK and Ronald Reagan.
Of course on the other side we have Dwight Eisenhower. Personally I think Wolf looks good bald and yes Corbett has an admirable head of hair. Neither is a consideration in voting for me or dating.


Jennifer

 
At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonk, Heidi Klum over the NFL??? You're breaking my heart.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Yonk, Heidi Klum over the NFL??? You're breaking my heart.
CALM DOWN MICHAEL, I'M NOT YOUR BROTHER FREDO!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home