Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The LuLac Edition #2815, January 13th, 2015

13 QUESTIONS

Our “13 Questions” logo.

1. With the media circus surrounding Hugo, the delays, the money and his flat out making WNEP reporters gush, shouldn't the DA simply drop the charges against Hugo?

I’m not sure that can be done because of the implications regarding justice for the victims. An alleged crime was committed and not bringing this to trial would not be fair closure for the victim’s families. And knowing this guy, he’d demand a trial and find some way to extend the dropping of the charges.

2. He (Hugo) is in prison for life on other charges, is it really that necessary to convict him of the murders everyone is confident he committed?

You’d really have to get a legal opinion on that. I know a few barristers read this blog. Anyone want to take a crack at that?

3. If we drop the charges, the coverage stops, and wouldn't Hugo be just another inmate serving, for all practical purposes, a life sentence?

True. He would get the anonymity he richly deserves.

4. In your top news stories of the year locally, neither you or Brian Hughes listed the murder of the Scranton Cab driver by a 16 year old kid. Why not?

I can’t speak for Brian but as far as I was concerned I didn’t want to give any more recognition to the punk who killed hard working Vincent Darbenzio. The first three questions give us ample reason to not recognize someone even in the slightest. It seems like the criminals become the stars while the victims fade away from memory.

5. Your old boss Billy Kelly from WVIA is in the news. Any comments on the latest?

Well I said all I needed to say when he first retired. (The LuLac Edition #2448, June 17th, 2013.) It was the WVIA Board that set the contract. They felt that Kelly’s fundraising prowess was worth the salary. But when an almighty “consultant” was hired, they found that many members felt that Executive compensation was too high. And the station reacted. But salaries are set by someone other than the person getting the check. So to come down on anyone getting an Executive salary set by a board whether it be Denise Cesare at Blue Cross, Glenn Steele at Geisinger or Kelly, keep in mind they are employees of a board. If people want to yell at anyone, yell at the board. Our friend David DeCosmo had the best take on consultants in an interview with L.A. Tarone and later repeated on Sue Henry’s Special Edition show. If a consultant says everything is hunky dory, why would anyone hire them?

6. How was your Christmas?

Never had a bad one.

7. Things are pretty quiet on the County Council candidacy front. I understand Jim Bobeck might not run, I think he alluded to that the other night on WILK, will there be a slate like last time on both sides?

Well the 2013 election proved that slates don’t mean much. I’m worried about getting enough people to run. Could you imagine what an indictment it would be of the new Home Rule system if the parties couldn’t get a full slate?

8. I’m confused about the Times Leader coverage of the Bill Kelly, WVIA deal. I thought you wrote last year that Jerry Vale died and yet I see a picture of Kelly with the singer. Did Vale ever visit WVIA?

Okay, I’ll humor you. We're light on questions this month. Jerry Vale did die in May of 2014. The guy next to Kelly is new WVIA TV/FM CEO Tom Curra, not Jerry Vale. Jerry Vale never stopped off at WVIA but I do understand he did a gig for Russell Bufalino at the old HoJos down the road. My brush with musical fame at WVIA came one Sunday afternoon when the doorbell rang and I went to answer it. There was a fellow in his 70s standing there wearing a natty summer weight suit with a straw hat. He extended his hand and said, “Hello I’m Sammy Cahn and I used to be famous”. Turns out he was supposed to be looking at some film set up in the engineering room for some project he was working on with the late Benno Levy from Scranton's Broadway Theatre. But alas no Jerry Vale. I did see him at The Kirby in the late 80s though.

9. What is this running joke on Facebook with Mr. Darcy?

I thought I explained that but here goes. My wife is always watching “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen. I mean “Pride and Prejudice” is to women what “The Godfather” is to guys. And it is ON all the time. It seems. Especially during sporting events that are particularly important. So I posted on Face book wondering who the hell Mr. Darcy is (a love interest in a story I know way too much about) and I posted it.

10. How do I nominate a candidate for next year’s Women You Love?

Just shoot me an e mail through the blog, Facebook, my e mail available from the blog or just send a comment, ask that it be non published and I’ll put it in the running. God willing we’re
around come December.

11. Abe’s question. Are they better from the bag or right at the counter?

It depends on the season. In the summer when it’s humid, the dogs in the bag get more flavorful on the short drive home or to work from S. Main. I’m like 5 minutes away in any circumstance. But in the winter, you want to have them right at the counter off the grill fresh and piping hot. When the cold hits them, they tend to congeal quickly.

12. What are work mantras that drive you crazy?

When I hear phrases like, “Going forward” or “Reach out to him/her” that drives me up a wall. What those phrases really mean is “You screwed up, find the idiot you were supposed to train to do this and fix it”.

13. I’ve read a few times your admiration for many writers. You’ve given them the supreme compliment by opining, “wish I wrote that”. Is there any local writer that you would regard as hands down, the best opinion columnist in the area. No hedging, dare you to pick one.

Without equivocation, no 1a, 1b, no tied for first place, hands down the best writer and essayist is Betty Roccograndi now back with The Times Leader. I may not always agree with her but damn she can write a tight, cohesive column.

10 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

14. Do you believe your heavy handed censoring is a contributing reason the comment activity has declined?

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a sad fact, but I wouldnt advise any sane person to run for county council.

Its just not smart. Truly it has been one bad deal after another with no end in sight. No one can work with this County Manager and County Council has been divided since day one.

In this poor mans opinion, it did not start with Skrep and Vonderheid as many in the know have claimed.

The nepotism and playing favorites began with Tom Makowski and Tom Pizano. It finally imploded with the Skrep and Vonderheid debacle when they asked us to trust them blindly - look what happened.

Now Manager Lawton is asking the same things as they did and he isnt fooling anyone.

Lets face it David, isnt county council simply a "yes" group for Bob Lawton who the Times Leader so eloquently asked taxpayers to give a pass to as he slowly drains the county and lets the unrighteous reign supreme.

I could be wrong, but i dont think I am here. People are really fed up hence why Bobeck and Morelli cant face taxpayers in the fall with a straight face.

James Haggerty, advisor to Bobeck and Tiffany Cloud, advisor to Morelli have a lot of explaining to do as to why they wont run again, even if its just to clean up the mess they made.

With Bobeck and Morelli it smells of "im taking my ball and going home"

They arent showing true leadership and thats going to resonate with voters when they go and run for another job.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

14. Do you believe your heavy handed censoring is a contributing reason the comment activity has declined,
IN RESPONSE
Nope......people have too little time and too much to do. This isn't going to become The Times Leader Say So of old.

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was only trying to make a point. Hey its your baby Dave.

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

James Haggerty, advisor to Bobeck and Tiffany Cloud, advisor to Morelli have a lot of explaining to do as to why they wont run again, even if its just to clean up the mess they made.
IN RESPONSE
I asked Tiffany about the Morelli connection and she hasn't advised him of anything. You are most likely mixing her association up with the public access station he was involved with. Cloud works for the FCC sanctioned broadcast station WYLN TV 35.
As far as Bobeck goes, I think he advises more than gets advised.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

I was only trying to make a point. Hey its your baby Dave.
IN RESPONSE
I appreciate the point. The comments have been a mystery to me. I can work like a dog on something and get nothing. Then one line and boom...a lot of comments. It's an ebb and flow and yes I do edit. A friend suggested I just have a "let Loose day". Still mulling over tat one.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

CORRECTION
Still mulling over that one.

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, thanks for posting my comment regardless.

With regard to Luzerne County Council, all I can say at this point is that I am extremely disgusted with Atty. Bobeck as a council member.

I voted for him on the basis that he was a young educated democrat with fresh ideas and good judgment.

Now he is simply quitting and taking his ball and going home when the chips truly are down for the county.

Thats not leadership. It is simply very childish behavior. He won't get my vote a second time if he runs for something else.

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasnt Tiffany Cloud Rick Morelli's campaign manager? Friends of Rick Morelli? or am i wrong on that point?

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dave! Happy New Year! i think county council could work if they just got organized. The problem with that whole gang is that nobody wants to do the hard work it takes to running the county. They all just want to be grandstanders. Harry Haas just committed political suicide by saying he would never raise taxes. You never say that! Ever! But that was the same reason that Eugene Kelleher didn't make the last county council slate. Sorokas and Dobash, despite their chickens and craziness, seem to be the only two with any good ideas!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home