Sunday, March 13, 2016

The LuLac Edition #3166, March 13th, 2016

13 QUESTIONS
Our 13 Questions logo.

1. You have been called a very heavy handed editor of comments on your blog. With that in mind, what is your opinion of the recently dismissed court case against fellow blogger Mark Robbins? Do you think there is a case to be made against bloggers irresponsibly making accusations on the internet?

Well as you know I edit comments that I find distasteful and are over the line. But then again what is over the line for me might be tame for others. I’m sure I lost readers by doing so but at the end of the day I try to never forget why I started this thing in the first place. That is to provide commentary without being scatological in my comments or opinions. I also try to be more informational than investigative. This blog was inspired by newspaper guy like Carol Romanelli, Bill Griffiths, Bill Luksic and Joe Flannery who had fun with the local political scene but also profiled the players. So my blog is different than Mark's effort.
The case was dismissed because Magistrates don’t handle issues like that. At least that’s what I read. Attorney Ostrowski and Mr. Robbins situation was wide open to interpretation. If there was a record of something in the past, and if it’s a public record, go with it. But where I would draw the line is commenting on personal issues that have no impact on public performance.
As far as bloggers making irresponsible accusations, my opinion is the best course of action is to try and be responsible when writing about someone’s life. If it is deemed that there was a blatant attack or accusation that is not true and can be proven untrue, then the legal market will tend to it like it did in this case.

2. Things seem to be quiet on the County Council search for a replacement for Bob Lawton. Do you think Dave Pedri would be a good choice?

First off the Search committee is conducting their work. But as far as I’m concerned, Pedri is in my top two. I say top two because there might be one other person out there more exceptional than the Attorney but I haven’t heard of one.

3. I was surprised to hear that the late Mayor Jim McNulty of Scranton never had his portrait done for City Hall. Were you?

Yes and no. Yes because I thought that there was some organization in Scranton that would see to that. But no mainly because Jim McNulty in every conversation I had with him (even though he was a repository of political history and minutia) was always looking ahead not behind.

4. Michael Bloomberg, attention seeker or just plain smart in not running?

Bloomberg was smart in not running. I never believed it was all about the attention, I think he was sincere. But a Third Party run is never a successful venture. Plus look at all the separate rules and regulations each state has. The primary season showed us that even states like South Carolina couldn’t have a single two party primary on one day. It would have been a nightmare and Bloomberg didn’t need the bull associated with a run like that.

5. First ever St. Patrick’s Day memory.

Kindergarten at Jefferson School in Pittston Junction. Ms. Gallagher gave us cookies with green icing.

6. If Trump wins the nomination, who should he pick as a Vice President?

Not Rubio or Cruz because even though I’m supportive of some of Mr. Obama’s agenda, his Presidency has proven we don’t need another one term Senator to be President. Trump needs to pick a person with governmental experience like John Kasich or Paul Ryan. This is especially important because I believe if he wins, he’ll be impeached before the 2018 mid terms.

7. Best St. Patrick’s Day meal?

I have to go with Mrs. LuLac’s Corned Beef and Vegetable Medley featuring cabbage, purple and yellow carrots and red potatoes. Plus the leftovers are even better.

8. What did you think of Trump showing off all of his products like it was a QVC display?

I know why he did it because he was called out on it by Mitt Romney. But it was a little much. But the networks ate it up. Kept him on for an hour when he was just repeating himself. 

Regarding QVC, I regret that the late Joan Rivers who was a friend of Trump’s is not alive to see this. Her commentary would be priceless.

9. I have read that you have Myasthenia Gravis. I have a friend who is experiencing symptoms of not being able to eat. My friend is on medication but is still having difficulty eating. Was this similar to what you had and what did you eat?

Well first off I’m not a medical professional and urge your friend to consult their doctor. Myasthenia has different manifestations. I was in crisis where my breathing , speech and eating were compromised. My swallowing was okay but without treatment that might have been next. I ate stuff like soup, smoothies, and Bolthouse drinks. A real meal, even something soft like pasta would take me an hour to eat. I found that Munchins and Goldfish could melt in your mouth and were easy to swallow. Lots of liquids too helped. For more information here’s the web address for Myasthenia.  http://www.myasthenia.org/
Because you are out of the area, I cannot provide you with my treatment team but I’m sure your friend’s doctor can set it up.
We eat without even thinking about it sometimes. Myasthenia will change that. Your friend will get pissed and lose weight. But with medication that will improve. Small portions, smoothies, and don’t worry about the calories. Your friend will need them.

10. You’re a flat tax person. Why can’t you support Ted Cruz?

I agree with a flat consumer tax on everything. It will put a lot of money in the treasury. But that’s the only thing I agree with Ted Cruz on. I can’t support him on Immigration, Foreign Policy and everything else. That said, at least we know what he stands for.

11. Have you even been to a Donald Trump hotel?

Yes. We attended a show years ago in Atlantic City featuring Jay and the Americans. It was nice. Nothing spectacular but functional.  Jay introduced hi new wife who was like 21 at the time and most likely long gone by now. But he sang this and it was great. It seems he has improved with age. Take a look at this from a PBS program.


12. Can you explain the Easter Cheese?


Sure. I get this every Easter season. Cirak is traditional Slovak Easter cheese that is served Easter Sunday. It is traditionally served with baked ham and beet horseradish and is great on sandwiches. It is very mild in flavor and not like other cheeses. It goes by various names including hrudka, cirak, sirok, sirecz and on and on. Essentially, it's a ball of eggs and milk that have been cooked until the proteins separate into curds and the liquid separates into whey. What remains constant is that it's always included in the basket of Easter foods to be blessed on Holy Saturday and not eaten until the next morning My sister still makes it. Here’s the recipe:
Measure milk into a bowl, and set over a saucepan filled half way with simmering water. Heat until warm to the touch, then gradually start cracking eggs into the milk while stirring almost constantly. This will scorch very easily. Continue to stir slowly once all of the eggs are in, until the mixture resembles scrambled eggs.
Pour into a cheesecloth bag and tie tightly. Hang from the sink faucet or over a bowl and allow to drain for 1 to 2 hours. Place on a cooling rack set over a pan or bowl and set a heavy object on top to press out the liquid. A cool cast iron skillet weighted with heavy cans works well. Press for about 2 hours.
Carefully remove the weights and cheesecloth bag from the cheese. Refrigerate the cheese for several hours or overnight before slicing and serving.

13. So Sports illustrated came out with three covers of their swimsuit edition. Did you buy all three?

No just one. Truth be told the last one from ’15 is still sitting somewhere unopened so that was a determining factor in just picking up one. Just been too busy.




13 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonki ... Yonki ... Yonki

been a while!

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) St. Patrick’s Day memory.
2) Green text emphasizing culturally exclusive references.
3) Ms. Gallagher.
4) Corned Beef and Vegetable Medley culturally excluding cuisine.

YOUR BLOG IS RIFE WITH EVIDENCE OF GREEN PRIVILEGE!!!

We'll settle this once and for all in Judge Burke's courtroom!!!

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to know what cover he bought!! Number 13.

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

4:03 pm.....

are you kidding me?
can't ya guess????

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trump was being vilified across the Sunday shows this morning for blaming Islam, and then today, this happens

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3490273/At-six-dead-attackers-armed-assault-rifles-grenades-launch-assault-Ivory-Coast-beach-hotel-popular-Westerners.html

Trump will win, because he is the only one out there who recognizes the enemy.
Let the rest of his dickless competition keep appeasing the political correct crowd, Trump, and most Americans understand, the religion of peace is a myth.
The United States slept at dawn on many more occasions than Pearl Harbor, it is time for someone to wake up.

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...


We'll settle this once and for all in Judge Burke's courtroom!


Whew!!!! If it was Judge Rogers, he'd admit to everything. Tall ya know, I do read Dave!

YOUR KOMOTION DATE FROM DURYEA

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it was Judge Rogers, he'd admit to everything.

ROGERS!!???

MORE GREEN PRIVILEGE I TELL YA.

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta agree with 5:53

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

I want to know what cover he bought!! Number 13.

IN RESPONSE

The middle one.

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to know what cover he bought!!

The middle one.

Which one did you READ through before you brought the middle one home?

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...


Which one did you READ through before you brought the middle one home?

IN RESPONSE

In 52 years I never read any of them.

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In 52 years I never read any of them.

Perhaps if the comment was "Which one did you LOOK through before you brought the middle one home?"

Unless the last 52 issues were merely peer pressured status seeking. I believe you "looked thru" your mags, why not just say so.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

Unless the last 52 issues were merely peer pressured status seeking. I believe you "looked thru" your mags, why not just say so.

IN RESPONSE

I thought I did when I told you I didn't "read" any of them in 52 years. "reading" and "eyeballing" are two different things, no?
I thought I had conveyed that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home