Saturday, September 19, 2026

The LuLac Edition #5, 772, September 19th, 2026

 

MAYBE I'M AMAZED


Our” Maybe I’m Amazed” logo

FOOTBALL SEASON

NOTRE DAME

MAYBE I’M AMAZED….. The Fighting Irish have played in blue jerseys with gold helmets and highlights for much of their history. Key team symbols include their fight song, the "Notre Dame Victory March", and the Notre Dame Leprechaun mascot. Former Judge Joe Cosgrove of Pittston was once a Notre Dame mascot.

MAYBE I'M AMAZED....Irish assistant Knute Rockne became head coach in 1918. During his 13 years, the Irish won three national championships, had five undefeated seasons, won the Rose Bowl in 1925, and produced players such as George Gipp and the "Four Horsemen"  Rockne's offenses employed the Notre Dame Box and his defenses ran a 7–2–2 scheme.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that George Gipp and Curley Lambeau were in Rockne’s backfield.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED……Gipp died at age 25 on December 14, 1920, just two weeks after Walter Camp elected him as Notre Dame's first All-American. Gipp likely contracted strep throat and pneumonia while giving punting lessons after his final game on November 20 against Northwestern. Since antibiotics were not available in the 1920s, treatment options for such infections were limited and they could be fatal even to young, healthy individuals. Rockne was speaking to Gipp on his hospital bed when he was purported to have delivered the famous "Win one for the Gipper" line.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED………The national champion 1924 team included the "Four Horsemen" backfield of Harry Stuhldreher, Don Miller, Jim Crowley, and Elmer Layden The line was known as the "Seven Mules". The Irish capped an undefeated, 10–0 season with a victory over Stanford in the Rose Bowl.


MAYBE I’M AMAZED……Sleepy Jim" Crowley played halfback from 1922 to 1924. After a brief career as a professional football player, Crowley turned to coaching. He served as the head football coach at Michigan State College from 1929 to 1932, at Fordham University from 1933 to 1941 and at the North Carolina Pre-Flight School in 1942, compiling a career college football record of 86–23–11. Crowley also coached the Chicago Rockets of the All-America Football Conference in 1947. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as a player in 1966. Jim was a native of Scranton.

MAYBEI’M AMAZED……that after playing a few games with the Packers, Crowley went on to coaching, In 1939, Crowley coached Fordham in the first-ever televised football game. The Rams defeated the Waynesburg Yellow Jackets by a score of 34–7.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….after Rockne, Former Saint Louis head coach Heartley "Hunk" Anderson was promoted from assistant coach and took the helm of the Irish after Knute Rockne's death, leading them to a record of 16 wins, nine losses, and two ties. Anderson was a former Irish player under Rockne and was serving as an assistant coach at the time of Rockne's death. Notre Dame finished 6–2–1 in 1931.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….Notre Dame has made 45 bowl game appearances, winning 23 and losing 21, with one game vacated.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..Notre Dame has rivalries with several universities. Although the Fighting Irish compete as an independent, they play a national schedule that includes annual or otherwise regularly scheduled rivalry games. Army, Boston College, Michigan, Michigan State, Navy, Northwestern, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Stanford, and USC are among Notre Dame's rivals.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that since the NFL began drafting players in 1936, 495 Notre Dame football players have been selected by NFL teams. Additionally, Notre Dame has had 65 players selected in the first round of the NFL draft, including five overall number one picks. Of the 46 Super Bowls competed, as of 2012, only 14 teams have won the event without an Irish player on the roster.  Looking at both participating team rosters, there have only been five Super Bowls that did not feature at least one former Notre Dame player on either team's roster – Denver vs. Atlanta, 1999; Dallas vs. Buffalo, 1994; Washington vs. Denver, 1988; Dallas vs. Denver, 1978; and Baltimore vs. Dallas, 1971. Eleven former players have won multiple Super Bowls: Mark Bavaro, Rocky Bleier, Nick Buoniconti, Eric Dorsey, Dave Duerson, David Givens, Terry Hanratty, Bob Kuechenberg, Joe Montana, Steve Sylvester and Justin Tuck.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..Notre Dame had several notable players and figures with ties to the University of Notre Dame have played for or coached the Green Bay Packers throughout the franchise's history.Prominent Packers Who Played for Notre DamePlayer PositionNotre Dame Era Packers Career / Curly Lambeau Founder / Player-CoachPlayed under Knute Rockne Co-founded the Packers in 1919 after attending Notre Dame

.Paul HornungRunning Back / Quarterback1956 Heisman Trophy WinnerDrafted No. 1 overall in 1957; key star of the 1960s Lombardi championship teams

.Aaron BanksOffensive Lineman2017–2020Drafted by the Packers in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

Equanimeous St. BrownWide Receiver College standout Selected by Green Bay

 in the sixth round of the 2018 NFL Draft.Dorsey  Levens Running BackPlayed at ND / Georgia Tech Drafted in 1994; won Super Bowl XXXI and made the Pro Bowl with Green Bay

.Derrick Mayes Wide Receiver All-American honors Drafted in the second round of th. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home