Monday, September 18, 2006

The LuLac Edition #63, Sept. 18th, 2006


















PICTURE INDEX.....Brenda Lee, circa 1960, Pete Rose and a young lady not his daughter or wife, (she's a fan most likely, I have those too!) and Pope Benedict.



I’M SORRY……IT’S NOT ENOUGH ANYMORE


Years ago when you wronged someone, a sincere apology usually did the trick. Whether it was a fight on the playground, a broken window, an unfulfilled promise, we were told that if we were sincere and expressed our regret, peace would reign. That was in a much more gentle time and place.
Today, an apology isn’t enough. Even in today’s volatile world, apologies are not accepted. Pope Benedict VI gave a speech in his native Germany on September 12th. He quoted a 14th century poet talking about the Islam religion. He made it clear these were not his words. He was quoting from an already published work. The work spoke of the violence inherent in the Muslin religion. The reaction to the Pope’s speech from the Muslim community was swift and combative. The same religious leaders who never apologized to the American people for the slaughter of our citizens on 911 were outraged that the Pope made this statement. Let me clarify here, the Pope never directly made the remark toward them. He quoted from a 14th century poet. Let’s do multiple choice here: The people who were offended by this slam against their religion reacted (a) With calm and rationality seeking to understand the quotations and what was in the Pontiff’s heart, (b) By inviting an open inquiry of the current violence in segments of their religion and denouncing it, (c) Openly inciting demonstrations, threatening the Holy See with vicious attacks and shooting a nun in the back in Bosnia. If you answered (c), the Pope and that 14th century poet’s point is proven. In spades.
Of course the Pope backpedaled on his statement and apologized if he offended anyone. And of course that apology wasn’t enough for the Muslims. I guess he has to burn himself in public and die the death of an infidel to satisfy the offended parties. Nothing is good enough for the Muslim radicals who want to destroy us.
George Bush, (a man I never voted for, never agreed with and who I think is the worst President we have had) is correct on one count. The Muslim radicals will destroy us if they are given the opportunity. The fact that the Pope can’t even open up a discussion or conversation tells you a great deal about their tolerance for the West. Taken to the logical conclusion of their reaction, then if I quote a book that talked about the evils of the Nazi regime or the Mussolini regime, am I going to offend Germans and Italians? If I quote from a book about how the English settlers and pilgrims abused Native Americans, will I offend the British? If I talk about the evils of southern plantation owners and the slaves they owned, will I be accused of hating the south and perpetuating the myth of the black as inferior and will every person black or white past the Mason Dixon line hate me because of it?
The Pope made a speech. He quoted from a 14th century poet. He apologized. It should have been accepted by the entire world. By the way, Americans are still waiting for our apology for 911. Or at least a denunciation from the Muslim world elite. But we’re still waiting and waiting and waiting............

PETE ROSE SAYS HE’S SORRY TOO

Pete Rose, the baseball hit king who admitted to gambling on baseball and is the best player not elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame has continued to apologize for his actions. He has even begun to sign his autographed memorabilia with the inscription: “I’m sorry I bet on baseball, Pete Rose”. To some critics, this public mea culpa isn’t enough. Critics say Rose is doing this to raise the price for his items of memories. The critics say it’s Rose’s cynical attempt to garner sympathy to get the Hall of Fame voting members to elect him to the hallowed hall at Cooperstown. We should be grateful, at least Rose’s critics aren’t shooting nuns in the back.

A SORRY COSTUME….

One Halloween the place I worked at demanded we dress up for the holiday. I stopped doing that in 4th grade because for three years, my mother put me in a cobalt blue Captain Kangaroo costume. Finally at the age of 9, I asked, “Could I stop this now?” She let me. Anyway, I dressed up in a tux and went to work that day with a sign on my chest that read, “I’M SORRY”. When people asked what I was for Halloween, I said, “I’m a formal apology”. I had to explain it to a few people but most people understood.

SING IT LOUD AND CLEAR

If you need to apologize to someone today, here’s lyrics from Brenda Lee’s 1960 hit, you guessed it, “I’m Sorry”.

I'm sorry, so sorry
That I was such a foolI didn't know
Love could be so cruelOh, oh, oh, ohUh-oh
Oh, yesYou tell me mistakes
Are part of being young
But that don't rightThe wrong that's been done[
Spoken:](I'm sorry) I'm sorry(So sorry) So sorryPlease accept my apologyBut love is blindAnd I was to blind to see
Oh, oh, oh, ohUh-oh
Oh, yes
You tell me mistakesA
re part of being young
But that don't right
The wrong that's been done
Oh, oh, oh, ohUh-oh
Oh, yesI'm sorry, so sorry
Please accept my apology
But love was blind
And I was too blind to see(Sorry)


1 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger Walter said...

Good Morning....I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts concerning my lawsuit I filed in Court regarding the petition for redistricting City Council of Wilkes Barre.
The City Council was involved in this process of late and it is an attempt to remove our rights as voters to voice our opinion in the voting booth...
I spent my own money to fight this because it is a violation to every voter in this County and City and I think the City Council should be reminded in May 2007, who it is that really runs this City...The Voters...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home