Friday, December 15, 2006

The LuLac Edition #110, Dec. 15, 2006
















MAN OF THE YEAR????

My vote for TIME'S MAN OF THE YEAR is AL GORE. Here's why:
1. He has showcased an issue that has not only made Americans think but also the world community.
2. He has made the transition from politician to statesmen by focusing in on an issue he has always cared about. Gore seems to have stopped listening to the pollsters and following his heart.
3. He was right about the war. From the start and in every concept of it.
4. Gore grows and looms larger each day as the man who beat him (theoretically) diminishes in stature and leadership abilities.
Gore's nomination, and perhaps his selection (he currently is being picked by 8% of Time readers) might be labeled a "what might have been" tribute to his candidacy of 2000.

SINGING THE BLUES

"If not us, who?" "If not when, now?" bellowed local Attorney, Blue Cross official, Chairman of St. Jude's John Moses the other day regarding the Blue Cross Surplus plan to help local hospitals grow. (Moses generally composed and full of decorum sounded like the local neighborhood blowhard showing off his new Cadlliac to the neighbors!) On paper it seems like a great idea but the public is not embracing the plan. Callers to the Sue Henry Show, comments made to the papers as well as local feedback is calling into question the plan. Bob "Get that opposition candidate outa here he bothers me on the day before filing ends" Mellow said something about Christmas coming early for residents of Northeastern Pennsylvania. Tell that to Blue Cross customers figuring out how to pay their premiums or the heating bill.
Look, a medical school is good. Upgraded health care facilities are fine too but people want to see the books at Blue Cross and for that matter at local hospitals. Blue Cross has poured millions into non profits for expanded services. That's a good thing. But are these non profits now strapped for finances? No one begrudges Blue Cross the right to do this but I think everybody would feel a lot better about it if we saw some ledger books to see how the money is being spent, on who and what. To paraphrase Mr. Moses: "If not now, when?" "One for you and one for me"? and "When and where does the money go?" Just wonderin'. That's all. Not being negative, just want to see the books.

4 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave!
You're an idiot living in the past. Ray Shafer, Al Gore, waxing poetic over that school marm chick Mundy (yea yea, I know she's tall and you dig that, I'm waiting for a full blown feature on K. Bozoinski from the Commish's office) ), posting on the radio boards about the by gone days of WARM and the lack of Oldies on FM, me thinks you need an intervention man. It's a new century man. Get with the program. Gore: passe. Straighten up and fly right or I'll get my boy Moses to sit in a booth with you down at Abe's and read his Blue Cross speech to you again. Snap out of it.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

You're right. I'm in a rut. I am living in the past. Love those oldies and want to rebuild WARM. The other day I caught myself looking at those old Luzerne County yearbooks. I even went to the Sunday Dispatch to track down a photo of my very first girlfriend, (see my Nov. 20th edition on Bobby Kennedy) she was in seventh grade, I was in 8th. (And yes she was TALL!!!) I have used the phrase, "Back in my era", "Or I remember when it was....." too many times. Let me get out the vinyl and play Jethro Tull's "Living In the Past" while I try to sort thing out. But not before I tend to my "Semi Famous Ltn. Governors Of Pennsylvania" compendium bought years ago at a second hand book store that is only a memory (Oh Jeeezzzzz, there I go again!!!!) to me.

 
At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to be in your rut. Tooling around town in your ragtop, a book in the local stores and on the net, privy to the secrets of the mid valley mafia, appearing sporadically on LYN and Channel 50, commenting with your own name on various and sundry blogs, talking it up with WILK's morning dynamic duo and "Walk With Me Henry", hey man, fugetabout the intervention, host a freaking seminar.

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonki and L.A. Tarone. Now that was must see TV.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home