Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The LuLac Edition #113, Dec. 19, 2006













PHOTO INDEX: GENERAL GEORGE PATTON AND THE WREATHS OF ARLINGTON.

COUNTDOWN TO

CHRISTMAS EDITION


The wreaths of Arlington have been laid for Christmas. The photos are a touching and wonderful sight. When John Kennedy died, I remember my father watching his funeral muttering over and over "television was a wonderful thing". When I realized that the story of the Arlington Wreaths had been going on for years by the Maine wreathmakers, and the magnitude of the hard work was not realized by most Americans if not for the power of the internet, I found myself echoing my late father's words, "this internet is a wonderful thing".

PATTON'S PRAYER

I found a beautiful prayer General George Patton sent to his troops in 1944. Here are his words from over a half century ago:

"Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy great goodness, to restrain these immoderate rains with which we have had to contend. Grant us fair weather for Battle. Graciously hearken to us as soldiers who call Thee that, armed with Thy power, we may advance from victory to victory, and crush the oppression and wickedness of our enemies, and establish Thy justice among men and nations. Amen."
The General sent the prayer to his Third Army with this Holiday message:
To each officer and soldier in the Third United States Army, I wish a Merry Christmas. I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We march in our might to complete victory. May God's blessings rest upon each of you on this Christmas Day."
G.S. Patton, Jr.,
Lieutenant GeneralCommanding,
Third United States Army.

NEXT TIME:

"Santa...A Better Man Than I"

1 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautiful poem. And Dave, you are so correct and right on about the net. I think I have an idea on the "Santa Is A Better Man Than I". It's a local classic. Can't wait to read it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home