Monday, April 21, 2008

The LuLac Edition #465, April 21rst, 2008








PHOTO INDEX: AT YANKEE STADIUM IN THE UPPER DECK IN RIGHT FIELD, NUNS WERE DOING THE WAVE, THE CEREMONY OF THE DOVES WAS A PRELUDE TO BENEDICT’S ARRIVAL, THE POPE COMING OUT OF THE BULLPEN WAVING TO HIS FLOCK AND THE TICKET THAT GOT THIS BLOG/SITE EDITOR INTO THE STADIUM FOR THE PAPAL MASS.

DOVES IN THE BRONX


Pope Benedict XVITH ended his five day trip to the U.S. Sunday with his largest venue yet, Mass at celebrated Yankee Stadium. Before a crowd of 60,000 people, of which I was one, the Pontiff called on all Catholics to live their faith by following Christ. Benedict, to the cheers of Benedicto, called on his flock not to lose heart "in the face of resistance, adversity and scandal," and encouraged followers to reject "a false dichotomy between faith and political life."
"'Authority,' 'obedience' -- to be frank, these are not easy words to speak nowadays. Words like these represent a 'stumbling stone' for many of our contemporaries, especially in a society which rightly places a high value on personal freedom," he said in a homily delivered during his last Mass in the United States as millions across the world watched on television.
Vatican analysts have said one of the 81-year-old pope's goals for his trip was to help keep American Catholics in the flock, as many have left the church in recent years.
An influx of Latino Catholics has boosted the overall U.S. Catholic population. Parts of Sunday's service were in Spanish.
"We think of the successive waves of immigrants whose traditions have so enriched the Church in America," Benedict said in his homily. He noted that the Mass celebrated the bicentennial the creation of the Sees of New York; Boston, Massachusetts; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Louisville, Kentucky. No mention was made of the Diocese of Scranton. There wasn't any indication that would happen, I'm just stating a fact here.
The day started out cool and dreary in New York City but just as the entertainment was winding down featuring the likes of Jose Feliciano, Stephanie Mills, Dana and Harry Connick, Junior a warm sunshine enveloped the crowd. Entering the soon to be closing big ball park in the Bronx via the left field bullpen, the Pope thrilled the assembled multitude by riding in his Popemobile around a perimeter of the stadium. People stood on their feet, tried to stand on their seats and waved yellow and white hankies given out prior to the event. A visibly tired but enthusiastic Benedict waved to the crowd gesturing and smiling. The Mass began at about 2:45PM and lasted until after 4:40PM. Prior to the Pope’s entrance, a troupe of dancers choreographed plastic doves waving them throughout the stage. At the right moment, as the sun broke through and before the Pope began his trip to the altar at second base, hundreds of live doves were released. As they flew away dotting the blue sky, the cheers of the day died down to a level of reverence. The doves seemed to be signaling that the entertainment was over, peace was to reign, and the serious business of Benedict’s spiritual journey to the baseball cathedral was about to begin.

MUSINGS

Over 800 buses converged on New York City for the day….6 buses traveled from the Diocese of Scranton….On our bus, we even had a “Bus Captain”. Those duties were handled quite nicely by Paul Makuch who dispensed refreshments, took role and made sure everyone got back home safe and sound….Mayor Michael Bloomberg waded into our section to be interviewed by CNN’s Soledad O’Brien. The Mayor, dressed in gray pinstripes caught the attention of the crowd…….While many on our bus had to walk many blocks to get to the Stadium from the big bus lot, Mrs. LuLac and I took advantage of the “Special Needs Transportation”. New York City had a great shuttle system set up which got us to and from the ballpark. On the way back, I chatted with a woman who had a yellow hat that said “Staff”. She informed me that she was not a paid staffer but a volunteer. I was told that more than 500 people gave up their Sundays to work the event. When I asked why, she said, “Because he (the Mayor) asked”. We then got into a discussion on how under this Mayor, New York’s volunteerism for city events have increased four fold….Mrs. LuLac was touched by the way the police officers on every street corner asked her how the Mass went. They obviously were filled with pride that their city was hosting the event and doing it right……A beat cop I spoke with Julio said, “I’d work this for free, this where the action is and this is the place to be today”….When I worked as a sports columnist for newspapers in the late 70s, early 80s, I went to playoff and World Series games. But I then instituted a rule for myself that “you can see it better on TV”. And in a lot of ways, you could’ve seen the Papal Mass better on TV, but all that said, nothing could beat the personal connection one gets in a live event. While we only got a glimpse of the Pope, it was a glimpse we’ll never forget……This trip comes on the anniversary of the surprise party my sister and I cooked up for Mrs. LuLac's and my 25th wedding anniversary which was in ’07. I figured the only way I could top a surprise party was to see the Pope, although truth be told Mrs. LuLac has been critical of his Prada shoes. Hey, nothing wrong with a guy “styling”, even if he is the Pope. When I pointed out to Mrs. LuLac that I think the Pope’s double breasted winter white coat is incredible, she just rolls her eyes……From a personal standpoint, this was a very tough trip for me physically. I have brainwashed myself into thinking that I could still do the same things I’ve always done since my accident in 1999. Not so. Even with the Special Needs Transportation, the pain in my back, spine and legs was overwhelming. But just when it was getting worse, I remembered the Pope himself is 81 and if he could gut it out, so could I……The trip to see Benedict was my first Papal visit. There were other opportunities before for me but I never took them. I think that I found an affinity for the scholarly Benedict because of who he succeeded. Only three years ago, this Pope began his reign amidst speculation that he would never be as charismatic as Pope John Paul II. And if that wasn’t bad enough, in a recent Newsweek article, some column writer whose name I won’t even dignify said “Benedict just can’t connect with Catholics in America”. Oh yeah, I know of 60,000 people in the Bronx who would disagree……On the bus as we headed home, we said The Rosary. As a kid growing up, my family always said The Rosary but I must say that joint prayer has always made me uncomfortable. I prefer to think and contemplate by myself but thought the experience was a nice capping to the day. I asked a man sitting next to me if he carried rosary beads with him all the time. Incredulously, he looked at me and said, “Don’t you?” Note to myself, get some…….The Stadium food crew ran out of hotdogs, soda and chips. And street vendors were few and far between although you could get Benedict memorabilia…..The most striking shirts were football jerseys with the number 16 on the back and the name Benedict on top…..Then were those shirts in Yankee Navy with the number 16 and Benedict on the top. I'm sure Whitey Ford wouldn't mind sharing his number for one event.....If you are remotely disabled or have a real problem, when the Diocese of New York says you have a handicapped seating area, well you just don’t. We wound up in the bleachers in centerfield in row R. On the way to Communion, I think I had the New York City Police convinced I was either going to kill myself or a few others descending from those steps that had no railings. I got down but not before a bunch of people started taking bets as to when I’d tumble out into Monument Park…..Mrs. LuLac pointed out that we were no longer travelers but in fact, religious pilgrims. Never had that name hung on me before…….I have to tell you that the local media, particularly TV did a questionable job covering the event. First off, you know my favorite TV stations are WBRE TV and WYOU. Plus, I’ve been welcomed as a guest commentator for politics both local and national on WYOU TV. So you know I love them all over there at 62 South Franklin Street in Wilkes Barre. But Joe Holden’s report on the WBRE TV 11PM newscast included no interviews with local folks. Now granted Joe was in New York and like us, among thousands of pushing, enthusiastic people. His interviews with people from Illinois and Brooklyn were great. But here’s a tip. When I worked the Yankee, Shea and Vet Stadiums for my baseball column and I needed local comments, as people entered the stadiums, I held a sign, similar to ones you see drivers in airports using that simply said, “Scranton-Wilkes Barre”. That way your interviewees come to you instead of chasing them all over the creation. Meanwhile WNEP TV caught up to two Abington residents who shared a bus with us. News Watch 16 interviewed Al Vargo and his daughter as they departed from Clarks Green….Security was tight, Mrs. LuLac and I went through security twice, not because we looked nefarious or menacing Sunday but because we were directed to the wrong line. On the top of Yankee Stadium, right above the lights were sharp shooters posted high above….New York City was at its finest Sunday for this mammoth event. Everyone in authority was helpful, courteous and friendly to a fault. But New York City, which has always been my favorite city along with San Francisco and Cleveland lived up to Mrs. Lulac’s observation that “you can see where you want to be but not necessarily get there!” Well, we did get to where we needed to be and it will be a lasting memory for us spiritually, historically and culturally.


4 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the Election is tomorrow. the Spotlight will darken for Pennsylvania. Ed Rendell will become the new "Maytag Guy." He even looks the part.
If Hillary wins she will disappear
from the "Hometown" scene just as she did after the '92 election. I remember when her brother said Lake Winola would be the Kennebunkport of the Clinton Administration. These people will say anything.

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, Wonderful report on your day in New York with the Pope. Better than staying in LuLac laND FOR A sunday and getting bombared with political commercials.

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This Pope knew his way before becoming Pope. That's the beauty of his gift to Catholics.

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit,there is something deeply uplifting about being in a crowd of nearly 60,000 people singing "Alleluia" and worshiping together. That the Pope was one of the crowd made it even more memorable. You couldn't help but be moved by the reverence and joy present in the stadium that day.

Mrs. LuLac

 

Post a Comment

<< Home