Sunday, April 13, 2008

The LuLac Edition #460, April 13th, 2008


PHOTO INDEX: GEORGE GILBERT, CIRCA 1966 ON THE VERY POPULAR WARM RADIO SURVEY SHEETS.

"DOUBLE G"

By and large we are a political blog that covers events in Luzerne and Lackawannna Counties. But we also dabble in pop culture and local media. That said, it is with great sadness that we report the death of George Gilbert, radio host, program director and radio legend of Northeastern Pennsylvania. The announcement came last night from George's son in law on The Radio Info Board:
All.... I'm sorry to announce the after a long and courageous battle with cancer, Geroge Gilbert passed away on Saturday night 4/12/2008 with his family by his side.George was a special person to me, not only was he my father-in-law, but he also convinced me to get off the air as a jock and move into engineering. After doing my fair share of 7-12 shifts, I moved to engineering and I owe where I'm at today to him. Anthony A. Gervasi, Jr. Sr. Vice President - Engineering & Technology Nassau Broadcasting Partners, LP

THE RADIO INFO BOARD

The Radio Info Board is a fascinating place on the net where old time radio people as well as newcomers and fans of any music genre talk about the past, present and future of the medium. Here are my comments about George Gilbert, posted a few weeks before his death:
Someone on another post or maybe this one referred to double G as Mr. WARM. I'm sure there are many who aspire to that title. I think George was a great transitioning force for the radio station as an on air personality. Forget the community involvement work and the programming, that was pure broadscast savvy. But George bridged the gap between "the kids" who played that "darn rock and roll" and their parents. George on the air seemed like the big brother or dad trying to rein in the likes of Woloson, West, Shaver, Woods, and all the others. His style was understated, he rarely flubbed anything and he made it okay (along with the news department) for the adults to tune in WARM. In my mind, that is one of the least talked about aspects of his career, he was the epicenter of calmness in this new thing introduced to the coal region called Rock and Roll. One year, I want to say maybe '65 or '66, during his noon to three shift, on Good Friday, he did this three hour long narration of the Passion. I was home sick that Easter but I remember how well he did it. I mean as far as pure theatre, it was better than church! My first contact with him came when I wrote a rock column for a local paper. I was young then, maybe 15 and interviewed him about local radio. I of course came up to Avoca from Pittston on my bike. He was amused by that. 7 years later, at 22 I was interning at WARM from King's for a BA in Communications. On the first day I'm getting out of my car, (a canary yellow Camaro) the first guy I see getting out of his car is George. He looks at the car, looks at me and deadpans, "No bike?" We both served on the bi County Bicentennial Committee in 1976 and that to me was golden. When some of the more excitable members were going off the deep end in terms of excitement that bordered on the verge of camp, George pulled us back and reminded us this was the celebration of a birth of a nation and not some cabaret production. Our events proved to be pure classs, just like George. Yonkstur

For more about George Gilbert and the esteem his collegues had for him, please link to this site: http://www.radio-info.com/smf/

Click here for LuLac YOU TUBE video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6lEXSEQnDk.

14 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Decent guy. Worked with him in sales at WARM. Always remember he was the one who I heard announce the death of Buddy Holly. Think I was home sick from school and listening to WARM that day at the age of 10 or 11! Great announcer with super pipes.

 
At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAve: If your intent was to apologize to the political junkies for a non political story, there was no need. You do cover pop culture and the death of George Gilbert, just like the passing of Terry McNulty is worthy of more than a mention. Double G was an icon. He will be missed and my heart and prayers go out to his family. Thanks for the radio link and that great shot of the old, coveted WARM surveys that I waited in line for at Richie's Record Rack in Pittston.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Vince Sweeney said...

Hi Dave...

GG hired me at WARM in 1978. For that alone, my fondness was huge. Knowing George as I did, he'd likely tell me he ruined my life by offering me that job all those years ago. Great guy, and the man most singularly responsible for The Mighty 590's huge success up through the end of the 70s at least.

Oddly enough, GG brought me to WARM from a small but extraordinary station in Williamsport. Then, within a year, year and half, he himself went to Williamsport. It was there that George took a stodgy and simulcast FM and literally morphed it into what is today, and has been for years, the "owner" of radio in northcentral Pennsylvania. That station, WKSB/KISS FM, is as much a child of George as WARM was.

George was an enormous player in NE PA radio during its halcyon days, and should be remembered as a man of decency, fairness, and talent. Even more so, a guy who knew how to make great radio, which is becoming more and more a lost art. God rest his soul, and God bless his family. My life was better for knowing GG.

(FWIW, Dave, a blog is a blog is a blog. Write what you feel, it's your log, your journal, your diary, no need for an apology.)

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave: Quick story. Iremember you serving on that Bicentennial Committee with Howie Fredrick, Paul Lauer, George Gilbert, Shelly Vale and a few others. The subject came up from some of the more historically minded that a photo of the committee should be taken in full REvolutionary garb. Opinions were asked and George said, "I don't own a musket, do you?" he said looking at Sheldon Vale. Vale shook his head no. There was a little silence and then someone broke the ice and suggested the photo be taken in 1976 garb in front of a 1776 flag. I think that little comment saved a lot of people, especially those girth-challenged a lot of embarassment. A good guy. My prayers are with his family.
G.S.

 
At 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the most memorable LuLacs have been when you've strayed from politics. The GG piece is a good example. The man was a terrific broadcaster for all the reasons you mentioned. Mr Schumacher was a class act on and off the air in an industry where "Gentlemen" were, and still are, rare. I'm glad I had the opportunity to know him.

Jim Petrie

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember George Gilbert as a big part of my life. From top 40 music to sports to current events, George Gilbert was my mentor. On the air, from the radio. Never knew him, never met him, except through that radio speaker. He taught me and my generation well. RIP double G.

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So it's 1977 and I'm all of 21. I'm engaged to the gal I'm married to now but back then her old man hated me. Could not stand me. At that time I drove truck for one of the beer compaies and played a little softball on the side. My nickname was "Slick Stick" because I was real thin and hit a softball in a very unorthadox way. Verrastro used to play the WARM Softball Softies and I became acquainted with the pitcher at the time, Nuckleball Nunley, aka George Gilbert. This was in the mid 70s. So one Father's Day, my fiance and I take her miserable old man who hates me out to Cobblestreet eatery, near the Wyoming Valley Mall. Now the old man doesn't want me there at all but we go. As we are entering the place, I hear this voice come from a booth. "Hey Slick Stick, uh, I mean Bob, how are you?" It was George and his family. Might not have been all of them but they were there for Father's Day. I introduce them to the fiance and the old man and his wife and then after the pleasantries we sit down. Halfway through dinner the old man says, "So George Gilbert of WARM knows you? Double G"? And I say, "yeah, there's a lot of important people who know me". The old man grinned and after that I never had a lick of trouble with him. THanks GG for making a young kid look big in the eyes of a disapproving future father in law. I guess that's what they mean by random acts of kindness.
"Slick SticK" aka BOB

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to listen to George Gilbert all the time. Your comment about how George greased the skids for us rock and rollers was right on the mark. He always snuck in some Sinatra and Tony Benett to make the old folks happy while we could rock and roll.

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, George's opening theme was "Here comes George Gilbert, George Gilberts here, with some fabulous music......" you know the opening. But when he ended the show, do you remember an end theme? This is stuck in my head and I can't remember what it was for the life of me. D'ya know?

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
But when he ended the show, do you remember an end theme? This is stuck in my head and I can't remember what it was for the life of me. D'ya know?
YEAH, I DO. AT THE END OF THE SHOW, ABOUT 2:57PM, HE'D PLAY THIS VERSION OF A SONG, DON'T KNOW THE NAME BUT IT SOUNDED LIKE EITHER THE FOUR PREPS, THE FOUR FRESHNMEN OR THE LETTERMEN. THE LYRICS WENT, "NOW IT'S OVER, WHERE DID THE MOMENTS GO, IT'S OVER, WE HOPE YOU LIKED OUR SHOW".....THEN GEORGE TALKED OVER THE INSTRUMENTAL BED, SAID "SEE YA TOMORROW" AND WENT INTO THE ID. AFTER HE LEFT THE NOON TO 3 SHIFT, I WANT TO SAY THIS WAS 1967, HE WENT FROM 10AM TO 1PM AND AT ONE POINT DID 1PM TO 3PM. TO MY MEMORY, HE NEVER USED THAT CLOSING WHEN HE MOVED TO THOSE SHIFTS.

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, During the day, I accessed the Radio Info Board. This is a pretty wild world we live in and I am amazed that people who worked with this guy so long ago came to say hi in his hour of need. Extraordinary in this day and age. I am only in my early 30s and I can assure you no one will be sitting by my bedside when I'm sick.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
and I am amazed that people who worked with this guy so long ago came to say hi in his hour of need. Extraordinary in this day and age. I am only in my early 30s and I can assure you no one will be sitting by my bedside when I'm sick.
THIS WAS THE AMAZING THIING ABOUT WARM RADIO. EVEN THOUGH GEORGE WAS THE QUARTERBACK, THEY WERE A TEAM AND ACTED THAT WAY. THEY ALL KEPT IN TOUCH, SHARED EACH OTHERS HGHS AND LOWS. IT WAS AS YOU SAY EXTRAORDINARY. THE TIME WARM DOMINATED, THE PEOPLE WHO RAN IT AND WORKED THERE AND THE WAY THEY TREATED EACH OTHER LONG AFTER THE GIANT DIMINISHED IS TESTIMONY TO THE WAY THEY DID BUSINESS. I THINK THOSE GUYS, GEORGE GILBERT INCLUDED, NEVER EVER SAID GOODBYE TO WARM, EVEN THOGH WARM AS WE ALL KNEW IT, LEFT THEM!

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Growing up in Scranton in the 50's/60's, WARM was the station of choice in the area, and GG played a big part in that era. Sure, you might have listened to Joe Dobbs & WICK a while, or WPTS, or at night to WSCR w/Frantic Freddie, but the days belonged to WARM, with great DJ's and the best news. No other station, then and now, comes close. RIP George.

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How true, there will never be anything comparable to WARM, the Sensational Seven or double G. Rest well our friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home