Saturday, August 15, 2009

The LuLac Edition #908, Aug. 15th, 2009

SNAPPLE "REAL FACT" #699, after working out, it takes five hours for your body tempersture to return to normal.


PHOTO INDEX: OUR INTERVIEW LOGO.

INTERVIEW

This weekend marks the 40th anniversary of Woodstock. My good friend Shadoe Steele from KRZ FM 98.5 will interview the couple who were pictured on the 3 record set “Woodstock” album. They did the Today Show already so the next logical place for them to be is KRZ FM’s “Saturday Night Live At the Oldies”. An old girlfriend of mine attended “Woodstock” when she was 14. I caught up with her this week to ask a few questions:
Q: How did you wind up going to “Woodstock?”

A: A couple of older kids in the neighborhood were going so I snuck into the back of the station wagon they drove there. They freaked when they got near Bethel and found me under an old army blanket.
Q: Kind of like McKenzie Phillips in American Grafitti, right?
A: Exactly. Hey, were you the one who told me McKenzie Phillips was living in Nanticoke when she was rehabbing for the 100th time?
Q: Yes, it’s true!
A: I think you’re nuts.
Q: Okay, back to “Woodstock”, once you arrived and everyone freaked out what did you do?
A: Well they wanted to send me back but I told them I’d tell their parents they had about a half pound of weed in a Bonice’s Meat Market deli bag.
Q: That convinced them?
A: Yeah but they made me call my brother in New York City and have him call my parents to let them know I was going to his apartment to stay with him. I had all this change that these people gave me when we were trying to park a few miles from the fields. I found this pay phone and called him collect.
Q: And he cooperated?
A: Yeah. I had booked out a few times before and went to New York so it was a plausible story.
Q: So you were a wild child?
A: Oh yeah. My parents, God love them.
Q: How far did you get to the stage?
A: I think if you had to measure distance, we’d be at say the start of the Market Street Bridge in Wilkes Barre and the stage was where the Bake House is on Route 11. We heard the music though.
Q: Your favorite at the time?
A: Hendrix.
Q: How much sex and drugs you see?
A: I was only 14 so I wasn’t sure how I was going to react toward any sex I saw. It was so muddy where we were, I didn’t see outright sex, just a lot of making out and feeling each other up. A lot of people made their own trenches for a bathroom. That was gross. I never knew I could hold it in so long that weekend. There were a lot of drugs, (laughing) it was like fog in San Francisco.
Q: Did you get high?
A: David, please, what do you think?
Q: You always did like your weed as I remember.
A: It was ****ing weed heaven. I’m surprised I had any brain cells left when I got home.
Q: What was your favorite thing, uh besides the weed about being there?
A: It was a big happening. To me it was like the mother of all hippie events of the 60s and I was there. And the music I still treasure. It was one thing I could really share with my kids, along with my faith when they were teenagers.
Q: Any crap hit the fan when you get home?
A: Nope I was covered. A few of the older guys missed temple on Friday night so they had some explaining to do. I told my mom years later and she claims she knew but I’m not sure.
Q: Moms always know.
A: Yeah, I guess.
Q: Did you calm down after that?
A: A little bit. I got suspended though from school in my Sophomore Year, 1970 in the spring for writing. a poem. The teachers thought it was distasteful.
Q: What was it called?
A: Kingston Hebrew Boys of Bethel.
Q: Do you still have it?
A: Somewhere. It’s not something I’d like to share as an adult.
Q: Do you still see the people you stowed away with around?
A: Yeah it’s hysterical. Those stoners I traveled with are now doctors and lawyers.

HERE'S CANNED HEAT:

AND THE SONG SIMPLY CALLED WOODSTOCK BY CSN&Y.

11 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard Corbett and Mayor Connors talking about Woodstock. The Mayor was actually there although he did not perform. I couldnt attend as I was occupied in South Vietnam at the time serving my country. As we are about the same age, I wonder did either of these two patriots and public servants ever
serve in the military. I'm almost sure Corbett did not. And yes, it will always be a sore spot with Vietnam Vets when those who preach service to country DIDNT!

Sergeant Warden
25th Infantry Division
Vietnam 69-70

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "The LuLac Edition #908, Aug. 15th, 2009":

**** woodstock, what is you opinion with the Best family taking pittston back to old time politics???

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
As we are about the same age, I wonder did either of these two patriots and public servants ever
serve in the military. I'm almost sure Corbett did not. And yes, it will always be a sore spot with Vietnam Vets when those who preach service to country DIDNT!
FIRST OFF, I APPRECIATE YOUR SERVICE TO YOUR COUNTRY IN THAT VERY TOUGH TIME. BUT JUST BECAUSE ONE DID NOT SERVE, DOESN'T PROHIBIT THEM, CORBETT, THE MAYOR, ME, ANYONE FROM NOT TALKING ABOUT PUBLIC SERVICE AND ENCOURAGING IT. I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE SERVED IN THE MILITARY BUT THEY DIDN'T TAKE PEOPLE WITH ONE EYE. JUST BECAUSE I DIDN'T, DOES THAT MEAN I CAN'T TALK ABOUT PUBLIC SERVICE?
what is you opinion with the Best family taking pittston back to old time politics???
OKAY, TERRY BEST AND I WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL TOGETHER. WE PLAYED ON THE SAME INTRA MURAL FOOTBALL TEAM. HE WAS GOOD, I WASN'T. WHEN I WAS IN BROADCASTING, HE AND HIS WIFE WERE ONE OF MY BEST BROADCAST CLIENTS. HIS SON P.J., I BELIEVE HAS THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE COMMUNITY AT HEART. WE COMPLAIN ALL THE TIME THAT YOUNG PEOPLE DON'T GET INVOLVED AND THEN WHEN SOMEONE LIKE P.J. DOES, WE QUESTION WHY. ALL THAT SAID, MY THOUGHTS ON IT IS VERY SIMPLY, THAT THE TIMING IS BAD. IN ANOTHER TIME AND PLACE, NO BIG DEAL. BUT GIVEN THE CORRUPTION IN THE COUNTY AND EVERYONE'S DEEP CYNICISM AND SUSPICION, THIS WAS A POLITICALLY TONE DEAF MOVE. I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT THE YOUNG MAN WILL SERVE WELL, BUT THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A QUESTION AS TO HOW HE GOT THERE. AND AS I SAID, A FEW YEARS BACK, IT WOULDN'T MATTER BUT TODAY IT DOES. NOW IN TERMS OF BLATANT NEPOTISM, THIS PALES IN COMPARISION TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE IU BOARD'S SON GETTING A JOB WHICH PAYS CONSIDERABELY MORE THAN A COUNCIL POSITION IN PITTSTON AS A CONFLICT AVOIDANCE TEACHER OR WHATEVER THE HELL THEY CALL IT OVER THERE. BUT YOU DON'T HEAR A PEEP ABOUT THAT. THOSE ARE MY THOUGHTS, EVERY SATURDAY WE TRY TO DO AN INTERVIEW BUT AT SOME POINT WE WERE GOING TO ADDRESS THIS.

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand what you mean, Sgt. One day I heard Corbett tell a cop he wasnt sufficiently dedicated to the job because he wasnt willing to lay his life down! Easy to say from a studio in Pittston Pa.
That said, Let it go.
Connors would have looked good in a Sailor Suit. One thing about the man, he loves Scranton and that always came through.

Pete

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, why do you think there was so much hostility toward the Woodstock event from the parents of that time?

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
One day I heard Corbett tell a cop he wasnt sufficiently dedicated to the job because he wasnt willing to lay his life down!
I CAN'T IMAGINE CORBETT SAYING THAT.
Dave, why do you think there was so much hostility toward the Woodstock event from the parents of that time?
I THINK THE WWII GENERATION HAD A REAL PROBLEM WITH PROTEST AND NON COMFORMITY OF ANY KIND. I THINK OF THAT LYRIC, "BY THE TIME WE GOT TO WOODSTOCK WE WERE HALF A MILLION STRONG". IT WAS HARD FOR THOSE GUYS WHO STORMED NORMANDY BEACHES MORE THAN HALF A MILLION STRONG WITH SO MANY CASUALTIES TO RESPECT OR TAKE SERIOUSLY HALF A MILLION HIPPIES STORMING A FARM FOR ROCK AND ROLL. SO I SEE THEIR POINT AND WHY THEY REACTED THE WAY THEY DID.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twig reports:
Bob Dylan was detained by police in Long Branch, N.J. last month, when a young officer failed to recognize him, police said. The officer proceeded to go to earnest lengths to ensure the hooded, disheveled, rain-soaked music legend was, in fact, who he said he was.
Dylan, 68, one of the most celebrated, eccentric artists in American history, was in the area on July 23 as part of a national concert tour -- a fact lost on 24-year-old Long Branch police officer Kristie Buble.
To hear the young New Jersey police officer describe it, the scene was like something out of one of Dylan's epic song-poems: It was pouring rain, Dylan was soaked and wandering alone, far from the traveling home of his entourage of tour buses.
When Dylan wandered into the yard of a home that had a "For Sale" sign on it, the home's occupants became spooked by his appearance and called police with a report of an "eccentric-looking old man" in their yard, Long Branch Police said. One of the occupants even went so far as to follow Dylan as he continued on down the street.

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand now how our parents felt. You figure that in time elapsed, it was only 25 years after World War Two. And as we look back 40 years on Woodstock, as Yonk said, and I think I might have heard him say this on the Henry Show or maybe KRZ when he was promoting the first book, we have more time now between our big event than they did for their big event in 1969. Makes a difference in perspective.

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to say I didn't go to Woodstock because "My mom wouldn't let me".

This summer I planned to go and visit, you know, 40th anniversary and all.

Then I watched the Woodstock 4-dvd box set at a friends house and realized that I didn't go because (gasp!) I DIDN'T LIKE MOST OF THE GROUPS APPEARING!!!! I still don't.

So I stayed away again!!!!

Sorry mom.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonks,
Maybe "You cant imagine Corbett saying that" re the police officer, but I heard it! Your WILK defense mechanism is up again. I too cant imagine anyone saying that or anything like it and I was amazed. I'm pretty trustworthy and
usually accurate as you know.

Pete

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By way of explanation. At the height of Corbetts rage over the Brenda Williams shooting a young police officer called.
He said when he left for work everyday he kissed his wife and kids. He said the most important thing was to come home to them at the end of the day. Corbett said that as a police officer that was the wrong attitude! You had to be prepared to put your life on the line and possibly give it up for others. He told the guy he should consider another line of work.
Pete

 

Post a Comment

<< Home