Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1076, Jan. 20th, 2010


PHOTO INDEX: FACEBOOK LOGO AND COUNTY BUREAU OF ELECTIONS CHIEF LEN PIAZZA.

LENNY AND FACEBOOK

Apparently there is a big deal going on about the fact that Luzerne County Board of Elections head Leonard Piazza is working on his FaceBook page while at work. Here’s my take on this.
1. Piazza is a salaried employee. He can take his lunch or a few minutes out of the day to do anything he wants. Last I heard there is no policy for someone checking the internet.
2. If Piazza is going to be criticized for posting on FaceBook or Twitter when he is working his set hours, then I personally think he should be commended for responding to questions “after hours”. Let me explain. There have been at least 6 occasions when I e mailed Piazza through my personal e mail account or through FaceBook on a question I was researching for LuLac. Every single time it was after 8pm at night. His response was within 15 minutes every single time. Piazza answered business related questions after his shift. Today Sue Henry suggested that a letter be put in his file saying he was posting on FaceBook during the day. I’ll gladly write a counter letter of praise to that reprimand (if there is one) saying Piazza answered my inquiry after regular business hours.
3. Employers have different rules on using the Internet. I have worked for some companies where I used my lunch hour to publish LuLac. I even worked for one company that allowed me to write my books if there was down time. The agreement was that when called upon to do my work, my writing took second place. And I might add I was an hourly employee. Plus if I had a nickel for everytime I saw a Supervisor looking at purses or recipes on a business computer, I'd be in a mansion in Jamaica.
4. Piazza is a victim of the theory that everybody under the dome is dirty or corrupt. He has done an incredible job of disseminating information to campaigns and the media. And he has not favored one group over the other. Len Piazza should not be pilloried in the community for social networking during the day when he is at work. To do so is to make a mountain out of a molehill and defame the character and work ethic of a good man.

12 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this whole dust up can be attributed to Steve Corbett. even his boss Nancy Kman said it was a non story.

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Trouble With Bob and AJ", soon to be an unreleased Paul Sorvino major local motion picture.
Corruption at last coming to light in the Lac. Probably the only thing these two characters didnt do was build a kids prison and fill it! This has been Cordaro's destiny for a long time. Munchak jumped in late and got blinded by the faint glitter. Power does corrupt, the only difference is that AJ knew better. Bob always thought he could outsmart everyone because he thought he was smarter than everyone!
Inept as they may be ( Ya, I mean you too, Corey) at least I believe the current majority commissioners to be honest men.
I wonder what might happen in Lackawanna County if we could have the opportunity to elect two or even three commissioners who had the good of the PEOPLE and the COUNTY as their only priority?
Politicians like that just dont exist, I guess. We most likely wouldnt vote for them anyway for one stupid reason or another.
Lackawanna County, Second Only in Corruption to Luzerne.

Waitin for the Next Shoe to Drop.

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Terri said...

Dave you are 100% right. Piazza does a great job and does not do the 9 to 5 thing. He has made numerous after hour calls to me and other candidates to explain voter/ candidate questions. He showed up at least three times at Home Rule Meetings before it was on the ballot in the primary to go over the petition process. This was after 7PM at night. Corbett made another non issue match lighting into a five alarm conflagration

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonk:
I agree. Lenny has done a fine job, especially considering the mess he inherited. This is much ado about nothing. He too has answered my questions after hours.
LAT!

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corbett for blowing somethin... (Anonymous) 8:24 AM
It's like saying: "Lenny also talks about non-work... It's like saying: "Lenny also talks about non-work stuff at work." This is pointless banter from a meaningless and sometimes mean-spirited talk-show host. I've actually communicated with Lenny about election matters on Facebook several times - most of it off hours BTW. But are thier "off hours" for salaried employees really?
Social networking is an extension of any business or Govt. They are intertwined. This just unnerves me about the F'n media. Put a note in Sue's file. (edited). Any wonder media personalities command the favorability and trustworthiness of members of Congress?

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sue -
think it through
Then tell Steve -
"stop slinging poo!"

Access is access and it seems Lenny gives the folks access.
Something we evil entrepreneurs call "value-added.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger PoorRichard said...

My two cents. I ran for county office as an Independent and it was the first effort of its kind in county history. I had many questions and Len Piazza answered every one in a professional manner. There were times when I sent him a question via email and after business hours. I did not expect a response till the next day but each and every time, I received a reply and it was after normal business hours. The man should be commended, not criticized. Thank you Mr piazza.

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Ted Yale said...

I agree with your assessment (especially points 1 and 3). This is a major problem with modern political discourse. With are so many genuinely important issues in the world of politics, I am always astonished that we give so much attention to things that don't matter. Candidates run campaigns based more on their "values" or the scandals of opponents than on their own ability to do the job; Republicans worry more about how many pages the health care bill is than what's in it; and Democrats care more about how Bush and Palin talk than the statements they make and why so many people listen.
Perhaps we should expect this kind of nonsense from politicians out to do whatever it takes to get elected, but the media and pundits ought to know better (and probably do, if you want to be cynical about it).
While I don't know enough about Piazza himself to say whether or not he does his job well, I think we can all agree that this particular incident is much ado about nothing. Thanks for calling it like it is!

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well Ted now Corbetty will bad mouth you. you can not criticize the coward critic Corbett

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
well Ted now Corbetty will bad mouth you. you can not criticize the coward critic Corbett
CORBETT IS NOT A COWARD BUT A VERY ARTICULATE FIGHTER FOR THE FIRST AMENDMENT AND SOCIAL JUSTICE. I'M SURE TED WILL GET A FAIR SHAKE FROM HIM.

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if corbetty is not a coward then i challenge him t... if corbetty is not a coward then i challenge him to shut the **** up and run. he iks exactly what teddy roosevelt described in his quote about critics
Publish Reject

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
... if corbetty is not a coward then i challenge him to shut the **** up and run.
ONE DOESN'T HAVE TO RUN FOR PUBLIC OFFICE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. AND FOR HIM TO SHUT UP AS A TALK SHOW HOST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. ENJOY THE ERA OF CORBETT.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home