Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1093, Feb. 10th, 2010

PHOTO INDEX: WILK'S STEVE CORBETT.

OWNING IT

I wanted to jump in on this for a few days now but things have been busy politically and I haven't had the chance. The Electric/Diamond City wrote an article by Rube Lomax about a future career move rumor featuring Steve Corbett. Corbett took offense because a story/item/tidbit/filler was published without attribution. His point was that the item could be harmful to his current career standing. The larger point is people writing columns and talking about real people while not identifying themselves. If you are going to write it, own it. And if you are going to print anonymous comments on a bog, filter them and respond to them. From the WILK website is Corbett's column of last week:
Thanks For Listening
Steve Corbett Reporting
Friday, February 05, 2010Time and time again I tell callers to “Corbett” that they cannot spread rumors on my live time news radio show. If the rumors are false and hurt somebody’s reputation, the damage is done even when the truth emerges.Most people understand that it’s impossible to get a genie back into the bottle. And nobody likes to have their reputation in the hands of a reckless spirit.So I don’t know what possessed “Rube Lomax” to write what appears in the current edition of the Diamond City and Electric City weekly newspapers. I do know that what is written is not only reckless but completely false as well. I know the whole truth in this case because the untrue story is about me.Here’s what the “barbed wire” column says: “The local rumor mill is grinding that Scranton carpetbagger and WILK whiner Steve Corbett is trying hard to latch his wannabe star on a nationally syndicated FOX radio show through his worship of all things Sara Palin. Allegedly, he’s working to impress Greta Van Sustern via her husband John P. Coale, who worked locally on the Hillary Clinton campaign. Corbett became acquainted with Coale through the Rodham brothers (his good buddies and Hillary’s wearisome siblings) which is why he’s now got his sights on a national show, hence his lips on the derriere of all things Palin-related.“Perhaps he and Caribou Barbie could team up together. Now that would make for some good talk radio.”I hope you don’t believe what appears in the Lomax column – including the alleged writer’s incorrect spelling of Sarah Palin’s first name and Greta Van Susteren’s last name.If you do believe what the newspapers published both in print and online, you might wonder if I’ve been lying to you as I repeatedly stressed my commitment to WILK and Northeastern Pennsylvania since moving “home” a little more than three years ago.If that demon seed planted in your brain takes root, my credibility is damaged.Your trust in me is undermined.The reputation for honesty that I work very hard to maintain is impugned.But some people likely will believe what they read. And for that I’m very sorry.Back in 2006, when I was living in California and contemplating moving back to Northeastern Pennsylvania, I spoke with two newspaper executives who wanted me to consider working for them in Boulder, Colorado. They told me how nice Boulder was and how my lifestyle and politics would fit in. They painted Boulder as a dream destination, which, for many people is absolutely true.But I had something else in mind.“I’d rather be in Scranton,” I told the publisher.Three years later, I’ll take the cold, gray chaos of this city where my grandfather moved from Ireland in about 1904, the city that five generations of my father’s side of the family have called home, Colorado or California or anywhere else. I’ll take hard coal country over anywhere in the world. And I’ll face off against anybody who spreads or condones lies to the contrary.My wife and I bought a big old house in the Hill section that’s loaded with stained-glass and hard wood that shines and sometimes seems to breathe because our home is so alive. We put down our own deep roots, built a Zen garden of stillness and committed our lives to making each other and the people with whom we share our city and region as happy and as empowered as possible.Every day I encourage people to find their own voice, to stand against generations of political corruption and express themselves in the fight to make Northeastern Pennsylvania a stronger, better and more honest community.My wife has dedicated herself to working as a community organizer upon whom her co-workers depend to help them in the fight for what is right and true and honest. That’s how neighborhoods grow. That’s how people grow. That’s how life gets better for everybody.I’m 58 and wanted to live in Scranton every since I was a little boy and my father sat on the edge of my bed after I said my prayers telling me tales about growing up in the Minooka section of Scranton. To Shamus, good old Minooka was the world and remained that way until the day he died.After all those years, I finally made it. I don’t want to go anywhere else. I been someplace else and nothing matched what I know and love in this town that I’m proud to call home – this town for which I’m willing to fight and sacrifice and ask for more.Still, I worry that some of you might believe what “Rube Lomax” wrote, that you might think I’m using you to get someplace better. For me, there is no such place. The best is exactly where I am.Thanks for listening.And I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

14 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I support Corbett 100% on this issue, but I also have a question
regarding LuLac's ongoing support of WILK. A few days ago I wrote you about Sue Henry's show. The comment was not totally negative, but made a couple of points about a recent program and the almost
complete lack of callers. I also asked a question about ratings. My
comments never appeared! I would like to think it was an electronic glitch however it does make me wonder. Do you edit or not use comments critical of WILK? Are some of the people right about about your defensive attitude re
WILK and the WILK staff? If this comment fails to appear I for one will have my answer.

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK... Corbett has had his 15 minutes of fame. Now he should practice what he is whinning about. Seems when the shoe is on the other foot, his nibs takes a hissy fit and cries to his listeners he has been wronged. Maybe he doesn't come right out with an accusation, but he sure fuels the fire when he gets going down on someone, till it gets way out of control and the target of his subject at hand also has been made guilty before ever having had a chance to defend him or herself. His little magic button that cuts off other callers, always gives him the upper hand in firing up the listening public against his target of the day. Corbett has hurt more than one person's reputation just by the way he tries to get callers to get involved on a given subject. Maybe not directly, but in his own venomous way, he still condemns someone just to get his callers to do the same. He seems to like to make the snowballs, and then have someone else throw them.

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listen to Corbett but always with an ear of caution. He does not like the story as it offends him and is not the truth. I would like to have a dime for every time he used the term "cash for kids" when describing the corrupt judges. The Feds never used that term and did not charge the judges with that kind of a crime and Corbett knows it. The media created the term and if used enough and said enough, it becomes the actual crime. Kids were not part of the deal, buildings and business were the base product but Corbett loves to yell into the microphone and continue to make headlines with that "wrong" statement. It's OK for him to do but not the Scranton publication. Even this comment will bring boos from those who now believe Corbett's Cash for Kids tirade. I hope this comment gets printed because this BS of Kids for Cash must be straightened out and the true charges be made clear. Unfortunately Corbett and the printed media will continue to mislead the public. Shame on him and pass him a crying towel.

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2:38 Thanks, that needed to be said. Corbett who talks like a tough guy has skin of rice paper. He might very well have a nervous breakdown because something was printed that he does not approve of. Well Mr Corbett, I did not review that statment but I approve of it. So now sit in the middle of the room and throw your little boy fit. Enjoy the hot spot, now you know how it feels.

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corbett is like all other ego freaks. They can say what they want about anyone, but when the shoe is on the other foot they scream. Granted the Times is wrong,
but no more so than Steve himself has been on more than one occasion.
I liked 2:38's "ear of caution".
Thats good advice for the ear and the eye. I believe what I see. Remember Corbett and the other voices on WILK's job is to create
calls, ratings and revenue. No one holds any of them to a higher standard. We dont even expect the truth. If we did there would be no Rush or Glenn Beck.

 
At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And how bad is the "rumor," anyway--that he's supposedly getting a high-profile media job? That supposedly hurts him because....?

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No where in the Rube Lomax "gossip column" did it state that Corbett was looking to leave the area.

You worked in radio. You know that you can syndicate a show from anywhere.

Rush's show is technically based out of NYC but he does it from Florida. When he started he did a local show on WABC and then the nation wide show after. He worked for 2 employers simultaneously.

This "rumor" did not hurt Corbett in the least. If anything, it caused more people to listen. It was show fodder for four hours.

The only damage that may come is if there was a pending deal with Fox Radio and the deal was quashed because the rumor came out.

In radio syndication you can serve two or three masters.

Example Hannity is local employee of WABC, syndicator I believe is Citadel and he also works for Fox Television.

I hope there is some truth to this and Corbett does get a shot at the big time. What kind of B.S. is that one says they do not desire to enlarge their audience? What kind of B.S. is it that one has no ambition? Please.

And can we stop the fabrication of how he ran back to Scranton. He was fired in Calif., his wife got the better job offer.

His vendetta against the local papers is because none were willing to welcome him back here and hire him when he came back to the area.

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listened to Sue Henry this morning for awhile. She even tried hard for a Scranton call, but nothing.
edited) I dont care what the ratings might say. My understanding is that the stations that purchase the Arbitron book
get better ratings. Based on your experience, is that true?

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WILK had a huge ratings drop. this gossip column was proba ly the best thing for Corbett. It gave him something new to rant about. Funny how he is now on vacation. Kind of makes you go hmmm?

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And while we are at it, lets I.D. Rube Lomax...it's Wendy Wilson, late of WVIA

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous your Bisexual Female Fan said...

I could not agree more with Anon 9:38. If anyting Corbett benifited from the column. Basically he ripped off Michael Savage's rant on "banned in britian," much like he did when her ripped of Rush's operation chaos and called it operation turn down. Steve is unorignial in every matter. He has not done one bit of self inspired stuff on his show. And huge drop in his ratings. Ad rep was in here showing me the book. Wow. I think folks are getting tired of the same old negative rant. once in awhile he could have a postive show. Not discussing the local politicos.
and wow anon 11:00PM you let the worst kept secret in media out of the bag... ooooooooo

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have a ring around your neck from how far you have your head up the WILKer's asses?

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRUE DAT!

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and let us not forget how many times corbett said judge chet was drinking and driving. he was impying that chet was drunk. not a single shred of evidence, but he shrouded his implication in hedged words. edited.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home