Saturday, April 03, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1140, Apr. 3rd, 2010

PHOTO INDEX: OUR INTERVIEW LOGO.

INTERVIEW

Lent ends tonight and Thursday I had lunch with an old friend from my broadcasting days at Rock 107. Actually this was my second lunch of the day. (Doc Leonardi, J.V., P.J., W.T. -you’re on the list I swear!!) We began to talk about politics and in an interesting sort of way penance.
Q: Are you still an atheist?

A: No, I moved up to agnostic even though my father, a non Catholic allowed my mother to raise us as Catholics.
Q: How’d that work out?
A: I’m an agnostic how did ya think?
Q: Speaking of beliefs, you’re a Democrat, what was your father?
A: A lifelong Republican though I think he might have voted for Johnson.
Q: Goldwater will do that to you.
A: Yeah.
Q: Ever work for a candidate being a Vietnam vet and all?
A: Only twice.
Q: During the 60s right? Bobby? McCarthy? McGovern?
A: No I was busy with my career then. My political involvement actually came later.
Q: Locally?
A: Yeah. A.J. Munchak approached me, I knew him from the community and he asked for my help when he was running with Bob Cordaro. So I worked actively on the campaign.
Q: Were you pleased with the end result?
A: I was horrified. What had I done!!!! I felt like I had committed a sin.
Q: That;s extreme!!!
A: No, this was my first foray, I did the envelope licking thing, the phone call deal, passing stuff out at the polls. I came across a young man who was a Democrat who told me I needed to do penance for my sin of supporting those guys. So I suggested I work for Mike Washo in the 2007 primary. Wasn’t that hot on O’Brien or Mrs. McNulty but I liked Washo a bit.
Q: Did he take you up on it?
A: Yes!!!!!!
Q: So what did he say?
A: Now’s your chance to do penance for the last vote. So I worked in the Washo campaign, answering the phone, closing up once in a while. That type of thing.
Q: Are you absolved?
A: Maybe but I’m not going out on that limb again, volunteering.
Q: So you see even an agnostic former Catholic can do penance in Lent.
A: You give up anything for Lent?
Q: Original Coney Island hot dogs until today.
A: Made it all the way to Holy Thursday did ya?
Q: A new job with crazy hours and a few snow storms helped.
A: Watch, someone will make you do penance.
Q: Not the kind you did.
A: You’re right that was hard time. Hard penance.
Q: Hey, as the nuns used to say, you’ll get your reward in heaven.
A: Not too soon I hope.
Q: I hear you!


5 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, only once question I wish you had asked ..... were you an atheist or agnostic while in the jungles of Nam? Not being a PR about it, I honestly wonder. How often do you hear that old saying that there are no atheists in fox holes? You had the chance to get that question answered. Your Lunch Buddy

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Dave, only once question I wish you had asked ..... were you an atheist or agnostic while in the jungles of Nam?
YEAH YOU'RE RIGHT, I WAS FOCUSED IN ON THE CAMPAIGN ASPECT OF IT. BUT KNOWING THE GUY THE WAY I DO, I'D VENTURE THAT HE WAS
VERY PRAGMATIC SPIRITUAL SOLDIER NOT THAT CONCERNED WITH DOCTRINE BUT JUST GETTING HIMSELF BACK HOME. I HAD A COUSIN WHO SERVED IN VIETNAM AND I POSED HIM THAT QUESTION SINCVE HE WENT TO MASS EVERY DAY OF HIS LIFE. I SAID, "I BET YOU'RE GLAD YOU'RE NOT AN ATHEIST." HIS ANSWER WAS WHEN YOU ARE IN A BATTLE ZONE, YOU DON'T EVEN THINK THAT WAY. THOSE REFLECTIONS ARE FOR ANOTHER DAY FAR REMOVED FROM THE ACTION. MAYBE I HAD HIM IN MIND WHEN I DIDN'T ASK THAT OBVIOIUS QUESTION. DON'T TELL MY BUDDY KONOPKA!

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to Vietnam a Catholic. Became a non Catholic 6 months into a 12 month tour. That "Athiest in foxholes" is crap
and goes back to WWII. We did not have foxholes and seldom discussed religion under fire.
There's your answer.

Agnostic Interviewee

 
At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid the guy who goes wild with decorations for Christmas on Moosic Street in Scranton usta do it at Easter too! Rabbitts everywhere. What have Rabbitts got to do with eggs, chocolate and baskets? Happy Easter.

Your Tall Redheaded Scranton Bunny

 
At 1:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh, I thought she was from the Mid Valley!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home