Saturday, October 23, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1344, Oct. 23rd, 2010

PHOTO INDEX: OUR INTERVIEW LOGO.

INTERVIEW

This week I hosted an informational session on Home Rule Yes at Wyoming Valley West Middle School. A day later I talked to a county employee I ran into at Price Chopper about the Home Rule Issue.
Q: I saw you at the session. What are your thoughts?
A: I’m not thrilled with the Charter. I think the official should be elected. But I’m really thinking of voting for this thing.
Q: Why?
A: I’m tired of being painted with a broad brush. I’ve been there about 15 years and I’m not an administrator making $70,000 grand a year, I’m not a Secretary making more than a row officer or a solicitor and I’m showing up on time every day.
Q: Does the county need 1900 employees?
A: Well I think there could be consolidations. It’s weird there are some places that overlap and have too many people but other places that are totally understaffed. And then places that are totally eliminated.
Q: Like the crossing guards?
A: As an example.
Q: Why do you think people will vote for this?
A: Because they are embarrassed and want to take a step into the future.
Q: Why do you think people will vote against this?
A: To save their jobs, status quo. Everybody is fearing change. That’s a characteristic of this area. Change is bad. \
Q: Have you as a county worker been approached by the Vote No people?
A: Naw, I ‘ve been left alone with my thoughts.
Q: And those thoughts are taking you where?
A: Not gonna tell you but I’m thinking. By the way you did a good job the other night. You’re looking quite well but walking like hell.
Q: Yeah, it looks worse than it is but the pain can get pretty bad.
A: Well hang in there.
Q: Hey if I you thought I was walking so bad, how come you didn’t come and help me off the stage?
A: I tend to stay away from guys in blue suits.
Q: Gotcha. I bought mine you know. Not a gift.
A: I figured.
Q: Going to tell me how you’re going to vote?
A: Yeah, I’ll vote for your suit.
Q: At least it’s not empty.
A: You got that right. I’m afraid we got an empty one of those at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Q: That’s a discussion for another time.
A: You got it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home