Monday, October 25, 2010

The LuLac Edition #1346, Oct. 25th, 2010


PHOTO INDEX: BILL CLINTON MEETING JOHN F. KENNEDY.

GETTING INSPIRED!!!!

"Is Congressman Kanjorski closing school early so he can film a campaign commercial inside a public school?" I got that missive from the Barletta campaign and they were complaining that Paul Kanjorski was closing the Nanticoke High School for a rally featuring President Clinton. That got me to thinking about my about my Uncle John Pribula tonight. My Uncle John was Police Chief and Tax Collector of Exeter in the 40s and 50s. When I met him he was bedridden due to a still undisclosed ailment that is still a mystery after 5 decades. I have vague memories of visiting him at his bedside. He was, even then an imposing figure. My uncle John Pribula died on October 29th at the age of 53. It was a Friday night. As his life was ending in Exeter, there were thousands of people lining the streets of LuLac land to see another John ride in an open car. That guy’s name was John Kennedy. And I was one of those people who stood waiting for him in the warm October air. It was an event that to this day I can see in my mind vividly. The day leading up to that event was punctuated by my school issuing bulletins about where Kennedy was during the school day. You can bet if he hit Pittston early, school would be let out! We were told this was a big deal. There was no backlash because back then the appearance of a Presidential candidate was not seen as something cynical or politicized. But today, fifty years after that magical campaign of 1960 we are being told that the visit of a former President was somehow an imposition on the students, parents and citizens of the Nanticoke School District. In the photo index you see a photo of our visitor Bill Clinton meeting President Kennedy. If there is one kid in Nanticoke that stays and sees Bill Clinton and Paul Kanjorski and is inspired to work to make this country a better place, then I say close down every school and bring in a former President every week.
After the Kennedy event, I went to my Uncle John’s 3 day wake and funeral. The house was crowded. Packed. At my young age it was still another crowd in just under a week. I understood then that it was all about public service on any level. JFK, my Uncle John, it was about the great country we live in, national or local. I say thank you to Congressman Kanjorski for bringing in that kid who was inspired by John F. Kennedy. May the process be repeated tomorrow in Nanticoke many times over. God knows we need it in this country today more than ever.

CLINTON VISIT DETAILS

The Kanjorski campaign announced today that President Bill Clinton, 42nd President of the United States, will speak at a rally in Congressman Kanjorski's home town of Nanticoke on Tuesday, Oct. 26 at 4:00 p.m. The rally will take place at the Greater Nanticoke Area High School. "I am extremely honored to have President Clinton here to campaign for me again this year, and I look forward to bringing him to my home town," said Congressman Kanjorski. "Nanticoke is where I grew up, where I began my career in public service, and where I still live with my wife, Nancy. I look forward to having Northeastern Pennsylvanians from across the region join President Clinton and me in Nanticoke." Under President Clinton's leadership, and with Congressman Kanjorski's strong support in Congress, the country enjoyed the strongest economy in a generation and the longest economic expansion in United States history. These efforts resulted in unprecedented progress for America, including moving the nation from record deficits to record surpluses; the creation of over 22 million jobs - more than any other administration; low levels of unemployment, poverty and crime; and the highest home ownership and college enrollment rates in history. During the Clinton Administration, Congressman Kanjorski was able to secure $250 million for the Wyoming Valley Levee Raising Project, which has saved Northeastern Pennsylvania from an estimated $1 billion in flood damages. President Clinton visited Northeastern Pennsylvania in November 2008 to campaign for Congressman Kanjorski at Wilkes University. Congressman Kanjorski also campaigned in the area with President Clinton and his wife, Hillary Clinton, when she ran for president that year. The public is invited to attend the rally in Nanticoke.
More details are available below and at www.paulkanjorski.com. ·
Address: Greater Nanticoke Area High School gymnasium
427 Kosciuszko Street Nanticoke, PA 18634·
Doors open at 4:00 p.m.
No tickets needed for the free event.

OMG!!!!

Religion reporter David Gibson writes that "a confident Christine O'Donnell, the Republican candidate for Senate in Delaware who is running behind her Democratic opponent, says "God is the reason I'm running" and that the prayers of voters can propel her to an unlikely victory. In an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network, O'Donnell, a conservative Christian and Tea Party favorite with a penchant for headline-making comments, also said there is "certainly a double standard" when it comes to media coverage of conservative women."
As many of you who are daily readers know, I’m a Roman Catholic, not a Christian. I can say two things about this though, Ms. O’Donnell’s faith to me is incredible and something I both respect and envy. The second thing is, if it is true, God has one hell of a sense of humor.



1 Comments:

At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you'd care to elaborate on the difference between a Roman Catholic and a Christian.
Seems every time you say that, you get the same old comments and replies. Most don't seem to think there is a difference.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home