Friday, January 14, 2011

The LuLac Edition #1437, Jan. 14th, 2011

PHOTO INDEX: "MAYBE I'M AMAZED" LOGO.

MAYBE I'M AMAZED

Maybe I’m Amazed……that what I saw on TV the other night with the President speaking was more like a rally than a Memorial Service. First off the speech was way too long. Second, the decorum shown by students attending was akin to a pep rally. Third, if I was one of those that had family killed, I would be insulted. Obama should have taken a age out of the Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton playbook. Really bad form.
Maybe I’m Amazed……that Lackawanna County Minority Commissioner A.J. Munchak is shocked that his status as the county third wheel is being ignored. Plus, Mr. Munchak is preparing for a trial later this year. And he’s shocked that his requests are not taken seriously?
Maybe I’m Amazed…….that Lamont Cherry, the man charged with murder of a baby in Wilkes Barre denied the story he told to police at his arrest. Cherry had said the baby might have fallen down the steps but then denied saying that to police. He’s no fool, he got “reasonable doubt”.
Maybe I’m Amazed…….that there are so many people in this area with guns that are not used for sport. They are used for “just in case” circumstances.
Maybe I’m Amazed………that more bankruptcies increased in Northeastern Pennsylvania. The Scranton Times reports that The 636 new cases from Lackawanna County, up from 550in 2009, was second in percentage increase regionally to the 21.3 percent jump in Pike County. Filings in Luzerne County totaled 946 cases, up 5.6 percent from the 896filed in 2009. Filings in Monroe County advanced 13.3 percent, but new-case volumes decreased from Susquehanna, Wayne and Wyoming counties
Maybe I’m Amazed………….that “Whistles” Bar had its last lap last month. “Whistles” was a Scranton institution for over a decade and was home to many a Rock 107 event. It was also a place that swerved great food and very good drinks, notably to radio sales reps.
Maybe I’m Amazed……that over 125 Corrections Agents descended on the Lackawanna County Prison yesterday and took everyone there by surprise. The Grapevine apparently was shut down. I’m just wondering though who had the home made wine.

AND NOW THIS.................


6 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Anonymous Pope George Ringo said...

With all due respect, your post on the memorial service seems to be a close cousin of Hannity and Limbaugh's talking points.
I do not think that it is fair to put the behavior of the audience on Obama's watch.
I thought that the President's speech, especially toward the end had an almost sermon like quality, placing the death of that poor little girl at the forefront of the tragedy.
I think that the mostly neo con criticism of the crowd behavior was kind of reaching for straws.
"Hey, the Kenyan really gave a great speech, how can we attack it? I got it, let's attack the audience and blame Adolf!"
In fact, isn't the idea of critquing the President's speech actually playing 'politics' with a tragedy? The very thing the GOP'ers have been upset about???
Finally, per the audience reaction, in the words of Jon Stewart, "Haven't the Republicans ever heard of an Irish Wake??"

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
With all due respect, your post on the memorial service seems to be a close cousin of Hannity and Limbaugh's talking points.
I do not think that it is fair to put the behavior of the audience on Obama's watch.
YOUR POINT IS WELL TAKEN YOUR HOLINESS, BUT HERE'S WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE. YOU HAVE THE BULLY PULPIT, YOU CALM THE KIDS DOWN AND SAY, "GUYS THIS IS NOT A RALLY, I APPRECIATE THE ENTHUSIASM BUT WHAT WE NEED HERE TODAY ARE QUIET THOUGHTS AND REFLECTION". THE SPEECH, ESPECIALLY ABOUT THE GREEN GIRL WAS VERY GOOD LIKE HE ALWAYS GIVES. BUT TRUE, TRUE LEADERSHIP MIGHT HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SUBDUE THE CROWD. THE ENEMY IF YOU WILL WAS A LONE NUTCASE, IN MY OPINION, THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE APPROPRIATE IF WE WERE GOING TO WAR. THANKS FOR COMMENTING AND READING.

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many nine year olds died on that same die.
How many struggle and lost a battle with cancer.
How many children were beaten and abused at home.
It is sad these people died, but a memorial is really only important to those who were directly effected, no matter the scope of the tragedy. This is what happens when you make a circus out of someone's death.

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonk, Maybe I'm amazed that you are amazed that so many people own guns "just in case". Hell, I own a half dozen just in case and I'm not amazed. Your Lunch Budy.

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonk, I remember Whistles being quite the place in the 90s. Rock 107 had its Whistles Wednesday promotions there. Thanks for bringing it up. Did you ever refer to it in "A Radio Story"?

Bobby B

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Memorials can unfortunately become a circus. The best party I may have ever attended was an Irish wake long ago. I have instructions
in my will calling for no formal ceremony of any kind and cremation.
If anybody wants to get together for a drink or to pass a hooka around thats fine with me. I find funerals especially the display of the body barbaric, but do attend church services and in certain cases the actual display out of respect, but aint nobody going to be asked to do that for me. To each his own.

Cassidy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home