Saturday, February 19, 2011

The LuLac Edition #1480, Feb. 19th, 2011

CIAVARELLA TRIAL

INTERVIEW

This week of course we were at the Ciavarella trial but that didn’t stop us from talking to the folks there. Here’s a few conversations.
THE STUDENT
Q: Why are you here?
A: I want to see what I can get out of this from a writing standpoint. I have never been in a courtroom and this thing is the most fascinating thing I’ve ever seen.
Q: How would you write this story?
A: I’m just processing it, there is so much to take in I don’t even know where to begin.
Q: What outcome do you want to see?
A: The kid thing is a tough one. I mean I can see why people are bitter because they didn’t have representation. But you can’t tell me that there weren’t kids there that deserved to be there. I’m torn on that, really I am. But I’m not a mom yet, maybe I might change my perspective after that.
A FORMER DEFENDANT
Q: Why are you here?
A: To look him in the face and see him carted off. Judge Ciavarella needs to get his.
Q: You sound like you want revenge?
A: Oh I do.
Q: Why?
A: I appeared before Judge Ciavarella a few years back. Drunk driving. I got a year;s sentence. My lawyer tried to get me out after 6 months and he said, “Tell him to enjoy his stay”. I did the whole year. I want him to see me every day. I want to say, “how does it feel Mark?”
THE AUTHOR
Q: Why are you here?
A: I’m writing a book.
Q: Got a contract?
A: Oh yeah.
Q: What strikes you the most about this case?
A: The complexity. The jury is going to have to grasp all these details. I’m having a hard time keeping the stuff straight.
Q: Do you think people will want to buy your work after its done?
A: I hope so, I’m not spending two weeks here for my health. This is historic. It has all the elements of human frailties.
Q: What are your thoughts on Judge Ciavarella?
A: A very smart man.
Q: Is he an honorable man?
A: That’s in question right now isn’t it?
THE PARENT
Q: Why are you here?
A: For my boy. I want him to know I’m doing this for him.
Q: What was his experience with Judge Ciavarella?
A: 20 seconds and then he was sent away. He got into a shoving match. That was it.
Q: How’s he doing now?
A: Good thank God. He is in school and going to get his degree in computer tech.
Q: Is he following the trial?
A: No, it’s in his past.
Q: But evidently not in yours.
A: No, I can’t let this go. This is now my fight. My boy was lucky. I’m here for the parents who are working, and for those that can’t be here.
Q: What would be adequate punishment for him?
A: Life. Appropriate for the lives he destroyed.
THE MEDIA GUY
Q: You’re lugging a lot of stuff around these days?
A: Yes I am. But somebody has to do it. This is big and we need every piece of equipment at our disposal. Plus we don’t have to double back.
Q: So even though you’re working hard, life is good?
A: Living the dream Dave, living the dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home