Friday, September 09, 2011

The LuLac Edition #1750, September 9th, 2011


PHOTO INDEX: "MAYBE I'M AMAZED" LOGO AND THE LATE FATHER JOHN BEDNARCIK.

MAYBE I’M AMAZED

MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that as I wrote about the Agnes Flood in our 1972 feature that a storm, more violent than Agnes would elbow its way into The LuLac Letter. You can never predict the weather.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….at the incredible hard work of the local media. WVIA FM had some Flood vignettes utilizing reporters who were around back in 1972 from the Times Leader and Citizen’s Voice. Bill O’Boyle was particularly good in his assessments.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that WNEP TV utilized the memory and acumen of broadcast legend David DeCosmo. DeCosmo held a clinic on WNEP instructing viewers what to take when them if they needed to be evacuated. DeCosmo also went over his experiences during the Agnes flood.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that just as I was getting ready to see what the President had to offer in his big speech and see my Packers open up the 2011 football season, our power goes out. You can’t plan when there’s bad weather. And considering what others are going through, I shouldn’t complain. I’m not, just observing.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that people came from far and wide to load sandbags at the banks of the River. Mrs. LuLac and her sister did the same thing back in 1972 and it was good to see others taking up the cause.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that the same guy called WILK twice in one day from Mountaintop wondering about the Post Office on Dock Street in Pittston.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that people have to be told twice to step away from the water. Gawking gets nothing done and you get in the way of people working.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..about the guy who called WILK about giving his wife a ride to work at Gerritty’s. He talked about how he needed to take a detour and when asked if his wife could not call off because of the bad weather, he said they insisted she come in. He then brought up about Pennsylvania being a right to work state and how that “family business” really didn’t care about others. Good stuff. I once worked for a company that came and got you, but apparently Gerritty’s didn’t offer that option. His call though points out the fear most workers have to do about missing work even in the most dire circumstances. That’s sad. I hope Gerritty’s sold enough deli meat that day for “Mom” to be happy.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that my gal Maria Sharapova once more lost out in the U.S. Open. Damn, I adore the way that woman plays tennis.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that the staffs of WNEP, WILK and WBRE worked such long hours to bring flood coverage. For the new reporters it was good training for future assignments. For the seasoned ones, it gave them something they could future generations.
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…that it is fifty years ago to the day that the pastor in my former demolished church, Father John Bednarchik died. When I was a kid we’d go to “Father’s Farm” for family and parish outings. 50 years ago. Wow, time flies. Too bad the church he administered to from 1920 to 1961 was torn to the ground.

2 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geeze

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Dave, 50 years ago...we are getting OLD! Keep us in the news tho!

Drew Wasko

 

Post a Comment

<< Home