Sunday, April 15, 2012

The LuLac Edition #2025, April 15th, 2012


Mitt Romney doing a reverse Nancy Reagan on his wife Ann. (Photo AP)


ROMNEY, WOMEN  AND 270


When Obama political operative Hillary Rosen made the comment that Mitt Romney’s wife never worked a day in her life and therefore has no idea how a modern woman deals with everyday life, she must have been thinking of the 19 point spread President Obama has over the presumed GOP nominee. But a 19 point lead can evaporate in little time. The comments were both reckless and ironic. Reckless because Rosen was poking at a dangerous constituency with a stick and ironic because she herself is a working mother. The GOP was battered and bruised with women during this primary campaign. With Rick Santorum running around talking about his personal views on conception and Romney pointing to all the stuff his wife owns because of his wealth, most working women were in no mood to give the Republican party a vote. But the remarks by Rosen became a lifeline to the GOP among the women’s vote. The most hard charging, cold, hard edged business woman will always have a place in their heart (most anyway) for their own mothers. For years, women have defended their rights to be in the workplace which for many was a long, hard slog against sexism. But those same women have defended stay at home moms because they recognize that too is a hard job with little pay. Now a guy like Mitt makes it easy with three homes and multiple Cadillacs but the premise is the same. Raising kids is hard work. Most of the modern day working women I’ve come in contact with perform a delicate balance that is awe inspiring. But those women choosing not to work fill in the gaps in community volunteer posts that working mothers can’t participate in. For so long, women have been told what to do, how to think, how to feel. During the 70s a solidarity was built for women who were tired of those actions that made them feel “less thans”. Now that the fight is somewhat equal, women in the workplace are coming to defense of women who choose to stay at home. Notice how quickly Hillary Rosen  backtracked. She cancelled all appearances on the Sunday morning shows and if the Obama White House is smart, they’d distance themselves from her remarks. Attacking Ann Romney who made a choice, and the women’s movement always used to tell us it was all about choice, was really stupid. Ann Romney raised 5 sons and suffers from a pretty tough disease, multiple sclerosis. There are many who are Ann Romney supporters precisely because she does what nearly every wife does: make her husband look better and credible. I mean look at Mitt, the guy is pretty much a wooden character that doesn’t seem to have an authentic bone in his body. But look at the photos of them together. He obviously adores her and after 42 years is loyal to her. (Mitt is no Donald Trump amassing millions along with wives, women, trust me, like that aspect of his character!) This remark might not damage the Obama effort in the long run. But the road to 270 is going to be precarious for the President this fall. Any shift toward Romney among women will be huge. For every reason not to pull the lever for Romney, pro life, a dismal record of women executives at Bain Capital as well as the nods and winks he gave to the comments made by Santorum and Newt Gingrich during the primary, Hillary Rosen’s comments have opened up a small window of opportunity. The Democrats have been saying the GOP has a war on women. It’s kind of hard to make that case when a high level media adviser to the President comes out with a howitzer aimed at the very base of the Republican party. Every working woman I know is friends with a mother who has stayed at home at one point in their lives. Some temporary, some forever. Before any side opens their mouth, they better think of one thing, how it will affect the number 270.

20 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the polical sphere liberals have always looked down at stay at home wives/mothers. They find them an anachorism; women to be looked down upon because they place value on raising children instead of "contributing" to society. What liberals never understand that the greatest contribution a parent can make is bringing up a responsible, self-reliant, productive child.
Women never get it; liberals laugh at you for wanting to be mothers first. Or maybe it is just the name Hilary. Tea and cookies anyone?

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't funny that the party of choice only defends choices that agree with them. Mothers who choose to stay at home are hated because they take serious their duty to raise a child, based upon their choice to have one. Most liberals have a better choice, abort the baby so they don't have to be inconvienced.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

19 Point spread? Real Clear Politics has Obama + 2.5 %. Rasmussen has Romney + 5%

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michele or Ann? No contest. ANN!

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Working Women
Speaking of WOMEN, if you hire a prostitute pay her! Congrats to the not so secret Secret Service.
Brilliant work Boys! The best and the brightest, carefully chosen for their jobs in terms of education and CHARACTER, stay at 4 star hotels at our expense and renig on payment to Women who do work, and at the worlds oldest profession at that! We probably did foot the bill with a generous per diem for those who served and got paid! Vacations over, fellas. Now lets put the rest
of the Secret Service activities under the microscope and see what we come up with. Oops we cant. Its a SECRET!

Disgusted American

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good call, Yonks. That picture of Williard Romney says it all!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
19 Point spread? Real Clear Politics has Obama + 2.5 %. Rasmussen has Romney + 5%
THE POLLS VARY, NBC HAD OBAMA UP 5158% TO 39% MID WEEK.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Speaking of WOMEN, if you hire a prostitute pay her! Congrats to the not so secret Secret Service.
Brilliant work Boys
PEOPLE GET ARROGANT AND SLOPPY. IF THE GUY HAD PAID THE WOMAN, EVEN TIPPED HER, THIS WOULDN'T BE A STORY. BUT IT JUST GOES TO SHOW....THE SMALL THINGS WILL ALWAYS TRIP YOU UP.

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those secret service agents should just plead guilty to loitering and move on..

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a long time friend who dodged the draft years ago like Mitt Romney. I volunteered, served
in combat and was wounded and decorated. I am proud of my service. He has always accused me of being a "liberal". He has no idea of what my opinions are because we dont discuss it, but he knows a liberal when he sees one! I support the Death Penality among other non liberal ideas. He considers himself a Patriot. I consider myself an American. I thought of him as I read two of the Lulac posts today.
I would like to thank the posters for telling me what I and other so called liberals believe in. We are against motherhood of course and strongly believe in the welfare state. I have been married for forty years to a woman who worked while raising 3 children. We just could not have afforded for her to be a stay at home Mom. Of course I wouldnt have wanted that anyway! Nothing pleases me more than seeing people get over on the government and those of us who pay taxes by not working while I work past retirement age. To me neither liberal or conservative is a dirty word. I have voted for both Republicans and Democrats in my lifetime depending on who I thought was the best candidate.
Thanks again to 7:38 an 7:43 who are obviously one in the same for telling me what I think. Oh by the way, I dont particularly care for Barrack Obama and have seen no reason to respect or think well of Mitt Romney. Clearly Ann Romney is the ideal example of the average hard working American Mom. Who could see it any other way? There are many like her right in my neighborhood.
Thanks again.

 
At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

7:48 is an idiot. Thats all there is to say. Male or female, an idiot. Or more politely an intellectually challenged individual and I am a died in the wool CONSERVATIVE. So what do you make of that. I'm sure most LIBERALS dont hate Mothers anymore than most CONSERVATIVES. Jesus some people get so far off the point. Its not politics that makes for stay at home Moms. Its economics and in some cases choice!

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about narrow minded posters. I also have to take issue with the coment you made Yonk with the fact that Mrs. Romney made a choice....... how nice! A choice! Most Liberal woman a Liberal and Democrat because of the spread between the 1% of which you folls think you belong and we the people, the 99%. Liberal women never get the luxury of chosing between stayng at home to raise children and going to work becuase they work and raise children with no choice. The idiots who don't realize how much they will need and depend on Democratic programs such as Social Security and Medicare have the luxury of their youth to actually believe they are capable of taking care of themselves in later years without the need of government programs .......... entitlement programs. Oh how I wish I could sit in their living rooms when as they approach 70, their health is failing and they reach for their Medicare card every time they go to doctor's office. Empty minded dreamers.

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My next door neighbor reminds me a lot of Ann Romney although not as attractive. Her husband died several years ago leaving her with four young children. She went to work, (She was a stay at home Mom) raised the kids, helped put them thru community college, mowed the lawn until the boys got old enough to help and still does the garbage. She never had a summer home or a manicure that I know of and like Ann she always did her own hair. She is about Mrs Romneys age and I'm sure if they got together they'd have nothing in common and less to talk about. She also smokes, drinks beer and curses like a sailor. If you try to help her out, she says she can handle it. I think she is one helluva woman and I'm damn proud to be her neighbor.

 
At 4:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how much of your poor health is your own fault. Did you take care of yourself? If not why should anyone be responsible for you now?

 
At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Pope George Ringo said...

It's pretty easy to stay at home as a mom is your husband is a multi-multi millionaire.
One question that I have that most in the press are too scared to ask:

"Just how much "HELP" did Ms. Romney has when raising those five children?" IF the answer is NONE, then I think she is one helluva woman. If the answer is LOTS, well she actually didn't do too much, huh?

As for her suffering from MS, that is a shame. God shows no class barriers when he inflicts such medical horrors upon us. The difference here however is that Ms. Romney didn't have to worry about juggling medical bills throughout her ordeal. She looks pretty damn good for a sixtiesh woman who has MS. I once had a neighbor with THREE kids who came down with MS in her late thirties. She was dead by the time she was 52. Guess she didn't have a good health care program.

Ann Romney is no hero.

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a bullshit point. Mitt, and the Republicans are not for equality for women. this topic that Ann Romney never worked a day in her life was correct. I'm sure if you followed the facts you would see that she was and is a rich and pampered wife of a husband who came from riches and is a man with a fortune of over 250 million dollars. Rest assured that she had large household staffs and also nanny's to raise her family while she skated around on the high end social circles wherever they have been. So all you GOP idiots, stick with the Party of the rich and vote and work against your own self, best interests. They play you and you are too stupid to see it.

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Entitlements? Please! I am 72 years old and I have never accepted anything I did not earn.
I have never had health insurance and did not enroll for medicare when I was eligible. I am my no means rich, but I pay for what I need; I take care of myself.
I accepted social security until I recieved back what I contributed plus a little interest. That only took about 3 years. I have not cashed a check since then. I will not use the money of others to support msyelf. That is something we used to call pride.
I had lung cancer when I was younger. I paid for the treatment. It was in remission, but it has come back. I was a smoker my whole life before my first diagnosis. After, I quit for about a year, but I CHOSE to smoke again. It is my fault it has returned. It should not be up to anyone to pay for my healthcare. I did this to myself. It was my unhealthy CHOICE(S) that led me to this point.
I am not wealthy to be in the 1%.
I am not a leach to be in the 99%.
I am neither; I am an individual, not a member of a communal society.
I took care of myself. I asked no one to care for me and I expect no one to ask me to care for them.
I have happily and productively worked until recently. I could spend my savings on trying to extend my life by a few months. I CHOOSE not to. Why should I? How much money is wasted on treatments to simply extend someone's life when there is no hope?
How many cancer survivors squander their second chance by not taking care of themselves, yet expect others to pick up the tab if they relapse?
People are ashamed to put themselves first. It is so sad that the nation is made up of sissies and wusses, unwilling to provide for themselves; leaches who continue to beg for crumbs from others because they are afraid to go after the entire loaf.
I am proudly an individual. I have lived that way and I will die that way. If you don't like it, don't worry, the communism that my generation feared is almost upon you; forunately I will not be here to see it.
I am the lucky one.

 
At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Pope George Ringo said...

Anon 1141:
You are so full of bullshit. How do you afford to pay your massive medical bills if you have NO health insurance????
You say you are not wealthy nor poor----what's your damn secret???
How do you do it?
Most operations range in avg. of a cost of a home.
I guess you just pass it on to the taxpayer since hospitals cant turn people away.
SLacker.

Bless You.

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt seriously that 11:41's story is true. Sounds like a complete fabrication to me. Just a bit over the top.

Doubting Thomas

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats right

Mrs Romney hasnt worked a day in her life

remember folks that these statements come from someone who ran a charity..poorly.. and his wife was his boss

 

Post a Comment

<< Home