Friday, May 25, 2012

The LuLac Edition #2065, May 25th, 2012

"Maybe I'm Amazed" logo. 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED

MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that the news cycle this week seems to be very quiet around these parts nowadays. It might be the pre summer doldrums, I can’t really say. While the cancer death of a Riverside High School Senior was indeed a tragedy, I was surprised when his story was the lead on two of the local TV stations the other night at 11 o’clock. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….that a Blue Cross spokesman said there is a possibility that the health insurer might stick more than 50 million dollars into the Medical College in order for it to survive while trying to find a partner. It is safe to say that BCNEPA has a major commitment to this worthy endeavor. And that’s a good thing. But I have to wonder why the two major hospital organizations, Geisinger and Commonwealth are running away from TCMC like people running away from a fire. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….. at the total number of unnecessary and unenlightening reality shows that populate the television landscape in the summer. Makes me want to read a book….or write another! 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that last weekend’s Fine Arts Fiesta had four straight days of beautiful, sunny weather. The Fiesta is known for storm clouds and showers and cold weather. But last weekend’s event was spectacular. The local weather people are most eager to take credit for the good weather but I have a sneaking suspicion that Al Groh, Murray Popky, Dr. Charlotte Lord, Donna Morgan and Howard “Howie” Federick had a little something to do with the fine weather somewhere from the great beyond. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that with all of the fuss made about MSG, the reality is that table salt contains 39% sodium while MSG contains 12%. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that my friend Ed Raineri is celebrating 100 episodes of “The Beatledd Hour” on WRKC FM, 88.5 tonight at 7pm. Raineri has made the weekly show an Internet, international sensation, broadcasting from Wilkes Barre, Pa. Many, many more. MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that some people on Facebook take pictures of their food. Really? It’s fast becoming more annoying than Farmville. I mean I can see if you were at Wolfgang Puck's or Smith & Wolenskys but please. Spare us. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that the New Orleans Times Picayune, one of the oldest newspapers in the country (175 years) will be only publishing three times a week. The reason? Declining ad sales and revenue and the popularity of the Internet. This was the newspaper that vilified Huey Long in the 30s and won many, many Pulitzer Prizes. The decline of newspapers reminds me of the early 70s when some of the great magazines like Look, Life and the Saturday Evening Post went down due to TV. History seems to be repeating itself. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that in 1859, 24 rabbits were transported to Australia. Within 6 years, the population grew to 6 million. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that at a recent graduation ceremony from the Lyndon Johnson School of Public policy, invitations went out to students, alumni, donors and friends with the word “public” spelled wrong. (They left out the “l”). LBJ, a former school teacher and perfectionist with anything that had to do with his image must have been spinning in his grave. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……that a farm once owned by Babe Ruth in Sudbury, Mass. which includes a farmhouse, and a two acre plot was selling for 1.65 million dollars. Equally amazing is the fact that Ruth only lived there from 1922 through 1926. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED….that in Jefferson City, Missouri, the State House had to authorize money to buy a $1,000 security system to watch over a bust of Rush Limbaugh so that people would not vandalize it. Limbaugh was inducted into the Missouri Hall of Fame last week but the ceremony had to be private because protesters were going to well, protest. That Limbaugh, a real consensus building American there, don’t ya think? Maybe the people in Missouri got the bright idea from Mayor Tom and J.J. Murphy.

10 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Professor Milburn Cleaver, OPA said...

Mr. Yonki, I urge you to continue your literary prowess and write another book. I most certainly would be more than happy to grade it. I am certain that you would excell. You simpletons could certainly do yourselves well by taking a leaflet from his notebook--or should I say notebooks.

The business of this classroom goes forward....
Students,
Just to set the record straight, I would like to address the upcoming job numbers for this month which shall be released the first week of June.
THe "jobs added" stats are quite important in a Presidential election year and as one of the better students noted in this classroom, this month's numbers are crucial to Obama's re-election prospects.
Unfortunately, for the administation, after DOING MY RESEARCH, and may I add, extensive research, I have concluded the following:
The job numbers for May are going to be disasterous. My calculations call for a net gain of 45 to 75 thousand jobs for this month. At best a gain of 85 thousand can be seen, but those are my most optimistic numbers.
In comparison to the massive growth of January through March, these new numbers will indicate as fact that the economy is once again hitting the wall.
As my previous predictions on job growth have been 100% on the mark, I do not expect to be wrong. Research (a word/practice you ingrates have little use for) takes time and effort. Which is why when it is done right, it can be invaluable. I suggest you learn the practice unless you want to spend your lives saying "Want Fries with that?" instead of "Nurse, hand me the scalpel" or "Your Honor I object" or the even more enviable, "Good morning students....".
Something to think about this morning.....
Class Dismissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..that in 1859, 24 rabbits were transported to Australia. Within 6 years, the population grew to 6 million."

Kinda like our welfare system, heyna?

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAYBE I’M AMAZED….that in Jefferson City, Missouri, the State House had to authorize money to buy a $1,000 security system to watch over a bust of Rush Limbaugh so that people would not vandalize it.

Pathetic response of citizens with no brains and less class, dontchaknow. Isn't vandalism immature?

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAYBE I’M AMAZED…..invitations went out to students, alumni, donors and friends with the word “public” spelled wrong. (They left out the “l”).

So much for Texas pubic education.
(sarcasm font needed) Over-reliance on spell check.

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really are an uninformed ***hole anymore. It isn't the sodium content in MSG; it is the glutame that the sodium is attached to. Combined these two substances cause all sorts of problems in the human body, from nueroexcitability to overstimulation of the pancreas. Stick with local history and politics.
FYI cancer survivors should avoid this "flavor enhancer" like the plague.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
You really are an uninformed ***hole anymore.
HEY, WHEN YOU'RE HOT YOU'RE..WHEN YOU'RE NOT, YOU'RE NOT!!!

 
At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You actually believe that it is a good thing for a non profit cortoration (Blue Cross) to spend 50 million dollars? That's our premium money! I have no doubt that they will be lookin for an increase this year when i fact, they should be reducing coverage so that people coule afford health care.

Aparently you have too much time on your hands if you even think about looking at Facebook. Grow up!

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm Amazed at what a hair trigger some of your posters have. 11:26 must have been up past his bedtime. ***hole really is a bit extreme. Must be "blog-rage".

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Professor I must agree with your assessment on the job numbers. Seems to me that they are pretty flexible since the Feds are always making adjustments on them after they are reported.

Personally, I am more interested in the type of jobs added and what they pay. Trying to ride the coat-tails of call-center jobs seems disingenuous if not downright fraudulent.

Of course if we have made manufacturing, production, natural resource jobs so hard to add (regulations) or outsourced them I guess this is the best we can expect.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
You actually believe that it is a good thing for a non profit cortoration (Blue Cross) to spend 50 million dollars? That's our premium money!
I'D MUCH RATHER THEY SPENT THE MONEY ON A MEDICAL COLLEGE THEN PAYING HUGE SALARIES TO SOME OF THE BRAIN DEAD, CLASSLESS AND RUTHLESS PEOPLE THEY CALL "MANAGEMENT" (MIDDLE) THAT I SAW WHEN I WORKED THERE.
Aparently you have too much time on your hands if you even think about looking at Facebook.
I BARELY HAVE TIME ANYMORE TO GET THIS BLOG DONE EVERY DAY LET ALONE LOOK AT FACEBOOK BUT LIKE IT OR NOT, FACEBOOK IS PART OF SOCIAL MEDIA AND I CHECK IT OUT TO SEE IF ANY REAL NEWS IS BREAKING OUT THERE. AND PEOPLE DO POST NEWS ON FACEBOOK. AND TWITTER. SO I DO FOLLOW THEM, NOT FOR MYSELF BUT FOR YOU, DEAR FRIEND. AND LOYAL READER OF LULAC.
Grow up!
THAT SHIP HAS SAILED.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home