Thursday, September 06, 2012

The LuLac Edition #2187, September 6th, 2012

President Obama giving his acceptance speech. 

  60 DAYS 


In two months America will have to make a choice. Tonight at the Democratic convention in Charlotte, both Vice President Joe Biden and President Barack Obama set the stage for the defense of their record. Biden set the stage in a long speech that outlined the accomplishments of the administration. Biden also talked about the middle class and how Democratic policies helped bring people up.  
As I mentioned at the outset folks--four years ago, Americans we were hit hard. You saw your retirement accounts drained, the equity in your homes vanish, and your jobs lost or on the line. But you did what Americans have always done. You didn’t lose faith. You fought back. You didn’t give up. You got up. You’re the ones bringing America back. You’re the reason why we’re still better positioned-- than any country in the world--to lead the 21st century. You never quit on America. And you deserve a President who will never quit on you. And one more thing that our opponents are dead wrong about: America is NOT in decline. I’ve got news for Governor Romney and Congressman Ryan, it has never, never, ever, been a good bet to bet against the American people. My fellow Americans, America is coming back and we’re not going back! And we have no intention of downsizing the American Dream.   One of the things the Democratic party did do that the GOP didn’t was embrace Veterans. I can’t understand why Mitt Romney never mentioned the wars we fought in his acceptance speech. The Democratic strategists pounced on this by putting on various veterans on the podium, having virtually every speaker mention the wars and veterans as well as making sure the point was made that Iraq was over and that Afghanistan was on its way. If anyone said to me in 2004 that a Democratic convention would out military and out patriot a Republican confab, I’d never believe it. But that’s exactly what happened tonight. The President’s speech was filled with enthusiasm, humility and the message of hope. But the President turned around the sometimes derisive comments about “hope” and said that Americans were the hope. I think Obama again positioned himself as the change agent even though he is an incumbent. The Obama and Biden speeches were almost a stark contrast to the Romney speech. It was almost like a rebuttal to all of Romney’s points as well as a complete difference in content. President Obama also keyed in on the middle class saying, 
Now, I’ve cut taxes for those who need it – middle-class families and small businesses. But I don’t believe that another round of tax breaks for millionaires will bring good jobs to our shores, or pay down our deficit. I don’t believe that firing teachers or kicking students off financial aid will grow the economy, or help us compete with the scientists and engineers coming out of China. After all that we’ve been through, I don’t believe that rolling back regulations on Wall Street will help the small businesswoman expand, or the laid-off construction worker keep his home. We’ve been there, we’ve tried that, and we’re not going back. We’re moving forward. I won’t pretend the path I’m offering is quick or easy. I never have. You didn’t elect me to tell you what you wanted to hear. You elected me to tell you the truth. And the truth is, it will take more than a few years for us to solve challenges that have built up over decades. It will require common effort, shared responsibility, and the kind of bold, persistent experimentation that Franklin Roosevelt pursued during the only crisis worse than this one. And by the way – those of us who carry on his party’s legacy should remember that not every problem can be remedied with another government program or dictate from Washington. But know this, America: Our problems can be solved. Our challenges can be met. The path we offer may be harder, but it leads to a better place. And I’m asking you to choose that future. I’m asking you to rally around a set of goals for your country – goals in manufacturing, energy, education, national security, and the deficit; a real, achievable plan that will lead to new jobs, more opportunity, and rebuild this economy on a stronger foundation. That’s what we can do in the next four years, and that’s why I’m running for a second term as President of the United States.
There are 60 days left in this election, 60 days, 2 months. Right now the battle lines are pretty much drawn. There are about 9 battleground states. Both Mr. Romney and the President need to get to 271. This national election will come down to a series of 9 Senate races. Pennsylvania will not enjoy the luxury and excitement of being a swing state. Unless something drastic happens, we have swung. Both parties will bring out their base and observe what will go on in the new swing states. The race is on……..here we go.

3 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger David Yonki said...

A special shout out to former West Pittston Mayor Bill Goldsworthy for correcting my Math!!!! There is a reason why I had the lowest Math College Boards in the Scranton Diocese in the early 70s!! Thanks Bill.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Professor Milburn Cleaver, OPA said...

Students,
I will be brief for I am on my way to a golfing appointment. For those of you who maligned my lecture of yesterday, I have just received word that the U.S. economy added a mere 96 thousand jobs for the month of August, as I had predicted.
Again, I implore you--instead of behaving like crybabies when I present my research, learn to do your own research!!
Again, I am sorry, but I must leave this classroom now. FOrtunately in two months, I can leave for good, thanks to Pres. Elect Romney.
Something to think about this morning....
CLass Dismissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, please keep your word and go away. I bet your out is when the President gets reelected, you'll stick around to tell us how everything and everybody sucks!
I think youre having too much fun in that fantasy world of yours and yours alone to ever go away. As stated before, you are good for a laugh. By the way are you golfing with Arnold Palmer or Sam Sneed?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home