Saturday, October 13, 2012

The LuLac Edition #2226, October 13th, 2012

Dr. Donald Buzinkai and this blog editor at my graduation year formal somewhere in Wilkes Barre in May of 1976.  I’m thinking it might have been the Legion on River Street but I’m not sure. My date took the photo and to this day I don’t know if it was my camera or her drinks that almost caused Buzzy to be photo shopped out of it even before there was a photo shop.  His parting shot  as he left was directed at me when he said, “Yonki walk fast to your car tonight after you leave here.” I asked him why and he said “You can get hurt wearing a suit like that”. 

"BUZZY" 

DR. DONALD BUZINKAI 


I received news yesterday that a former Professor of mine at King’s College, Dr. Donald Buzinkai passed away. “Buzzy” as he was known to thousands of students was one of the most brilliant academic minds I had ever encountered. His students at first were wary of his sarcasm and demeanor but once you got to know him, you were hooked. Buzinkai demanded excellence from his students. There were no half measures. 
It was an urban legend that if you took Buzinkai, you’d get an easy B. So naturally as a person who usually followed the path of least resistance when it came to academics, I took his course. I handed in my first paper on some sort of topic and expected my “B”. Instead, I got back the paper and on the last page the word “Horseshit” was written along with my D. I got the message.  
Buzinkai was a tried and true progressive who understood the economy and the students at King’s. He knew that none of our parents were wealthy and treated us accordingly with understanding and respect. In the summer of 1976, I was working a full time job overnights on WVIA FM hosting an all night classical music show. For a grade, I had to take his summer seminar which lasted a week. The class ran from 9 to 3pm. I figured I could handle it because I left work at 8 and would make my way to his class. Since it was summer, Buzinkai decided to have the class in his office which had comfortable chairs and other accouterments befitting his status as a tenured professor. I got through the week until the last day which was a Thursday. Buzinkai began speaking at 9:01am and I fell asleep at 9:02. As the afternoon session started at 1:00Pm, after lunch, I still was out like a light. At about 1:15PM I opened my eyes and Buzinkai said, “Good morning, welcome back” and continued on with the lesson. I asked him when we were adjourned if I needed to make up any work. He said, “No, you worked hard for these years and come a long way from when I first met you. I know your situation and I know that anyone who had full rest could never, ever be bored by anything I had to say”. I nodded my head in agreement and he said, “Yonki, you’ll do fine in life. Just remember the world is nothing but a big King’s College.” 
And you know, 36 years out of King’s, I realize that was the most accurate thing anyone ever told me about the world. There are a few of my friends who kept in touch with him. I’d see him once in a while at King’s in the 90s at the gym. To those who saw him recently or years ago, one thing is for sure, no matter how recent our encounters, our mentor and teacher, Dr. Buzinkai never really left us. Never really was out of our minds or our hearts. And when an educator can do that, that’s what people call a legacy.

5 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Ronvarsky said...

The first paper I ever completed for a Buzzy course involved the famous "Lend/Lease Program" which provided munitions on credit to Great Britain at the start of WW2. As I completed the paper in the wee hours of the morning on which it was due, I took some logic and stylistic liberties to make the 9:00 am deadline. When the paper was returned, it did have the well deserved grade of B-, but under the grade he left the most cutting comment I ever received on a paper. Buzzy wrote, "You write like a truck driver. Do you want to be a truck driver?"

His way or the highway!

Ron Ungvarsky
Bexley, OH

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave...wonderful comments on Dr. Buzinkai. I too remember him from my King's days and took a wealth of critical thinking with me because of him. He also had the greatest smile I ever saw.

Helen Fulbright

 
At 2:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, let me express my condolences to Dr. Buzinkai's family and friends. He
was one of the finest minds Luzerne County ever had, and I have always considered myself fortunate to have been his student. When the Cold War was
the issue of the day, Buzz taught us the Marxist-Leninist ideology and how the Soviets used it to govern internally, and conduct their foreign policy. In his
course on American Government he explained how government really works. He taught us that people use the political system to advance their own self interests, and then join interest groups to enhance their power position. These interests groups compete for power and politics decides the issues and acts as the glue that holds society together and prevents the outbreak of violence. I gained an understanding of how the Soviets operated, and how government really works and this led to a successful career in government service, and as a political analyst. I am grateful for the education I received studying under Dr. Buzinkai, I will miss him, and I will treasure the good memory I have of him.
Peter
Gagliardi

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, was that the gym with the free weights on the second floor of the gym on North Main?

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Dave, was that the gym with the free weights on the second floor of the gym on North Main?
IT HAD A FEW FREE WEIGHTS BUT IT HAD A LOT OF UNIVERSAL WEIGHT MACHINES AND RECUMBENT BIKES. THE STAIRMASTER WAS IN THE CORNER AND I USUALLY ENCOUNTERED DR. BUZINKAI THERE. THIS WAS THE EARLY 90s. AFTER THE REMODELED THE GYM, I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY DID WITH THAT ROOM. I JOINED THE SAXON IN 1996 AND WENT THERE UNTIL MY ACCIDENT IN 2000.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home