Friday, February 08, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2353, February 8th, 2013

Our “Maybe I’m Amazed” logo. 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that it appeared that Governor Tom Corbett’s stop in Wilkes Barre the other day had a stealth quality to it. The coverage of his embracement of the CHIP program at a local library was incidental. Corbett made his announcement in the Children’s Wing of the Osterhout but did media stops at both WNEP TV and WBRE. With some of the unpopular cuts the Governor continues to endorse maybe his people were concerned about possible protesters. Then again, maybe not. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that there is still another bludgeoned baby death in the news in LuLac land. And just as before, no one can imagine how or why it happened, tears are shed before the cameras and a layers standing by tries to explain it all. There were less flashbacks in “Groundhog Day”. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that the state is Florida is larger than England. But hey, we all know what England does! 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that if an advertiser wanted to buy an ad in Super Bowl I (which I was around for) paid $37,500. This time around, 4 million bucks. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..that Coka Cola, with its new emphasis on consumer’s need for calorie control did not air their new ad regarding obesity and portion control. Even though the ad might have been longer than the norm, (look at the length of the Paul Harvey Dodge ad), I thought it was a missed opportunity. 
 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………that the voice of the late Paul Harvey still has that pull on people. Younger people who haven’t heard of him, I’m told were mesmerized by the commercial and Harvey’s voice. The first time I heard Harvey’s voice was when I was home sick from school at the age of 9. I had been listening to the Phillies on WILK the night before and when I woke up, I heard that voice for the first time. And it was, like, “What and who is this guy?” 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……..the most widely eaten fruit in the United States is the banana. And there was even a phone named after that fruit. 
 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………at the number of people that still take pictures of food they are preparing to eat, they are ready to eat, they’ve already eaten or are going to buy on the Face Book machine. I’m glad they are enjoying themselves, Mrs. LuLac and I go to dinner a lot but so far, even in the finest meals we’ve had across the country, we’ve resisted the urge to be food shutterbugs. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that the Mayflower held only 102 people. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……and I swear to God, this is a true story, that I heard some guy in the grocery store blaming the price increase in Sucrets on Obama Care, or if you will, the Affordable Health Care Act. 
MAYBE I'M AMAZED..........at my wife's sense of timing and humor. As I'm writing this, a commercial for Christian Mingle.com  came on the TV. So I said, "Hey there ya go, Christian Mingle.com". She says, "I  wouldn't have found you there!" All comedy is based un truth. 

8 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Blogger David DeCosmo said...

David, I loved hearing Paul Harvey's voice again on the Super Bowl commercial! I had the pleasure of meeting Paul while visiting Chicago when I was News Director of WILK. A couple years later he included an announcement of my wedding on his daily newscast. Thankfully we have a recording of that announcement. He represented an all too rare category of commentators that radio misses these days. And that, David is..."The Rest Of The Story."

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yonki -

Here's a 21st century of bananaphone, ala Lady Gaga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VHSqJINm7M

Casey Evans

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Rick Hannon, Rochester, NY said...

Mid-day, every school day, in Ida Wallace's 3rd and 4th grade classes at W-B's Lafayette and then Franklin elementary schools in the early 60's, the radio would be turned on and tuned in to Paul Harvey's broadcast. At its conclusion, we would be required to write a brief recap of one of the items he had shared with us. Valuable instruction in attentive listening, concise writing, and really good public speaking / radio appreciation. Also learned that there is always "the other side of the story."
Rick Hannon

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Junction said...

I especially like the final comment. Mrs LULAC on Christian Mingle.com.
I guess there are some real DARK secrets most of us in LULAC land do not know. Maybe I will just have to re-read some of your books again and a little slower to find out more to this.
Truth or Dare!!!!

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I started work at Tobyhanna Army Depot in 1975, they played Paul's show over the PA system. I believe it was 1200-1215 every week day. And they didn't stop doing it until about 1985.

 
At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coke a cola-

Dave, on the right hand top of your screen find "Google Search" and type in Coke a cola-ut will coma back coca-cola.

Always has been, always will.

Things go better with proofreading.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Dave, on the right hand top of your screen find "Google Search" and type in Coke a cola-ut will coma back coca-cola.
Always has been, always will.
Things go better with proofreading.
AND I WAS DRINKING COKE STRAIGHT, RIGHT OUT OF THE CAN IN FRONT OF MY FACE WHEN I WAS WRITING THIS!!!!!!
AS BUGS BUNNY WOULD SAY, "AIN'T I A STINKER??"

 
At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So being wounded in Vietnam is the no. 1 qualification for defense sec.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home