Saturday, February 16, 2013

The LuLac Edition #2360, February 16th, 2013

Our “Maybe I’m Amazed” logo. 

MAYBE I’M AMAZED

MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that LAG Towing is now suing the city of Wilkes Barre (or threatening to) for who knows what. It is astounding to me that LAG is actually making Bob Kadluboski, even at his most confrontational with Mayor Namey seem like a choir boy. How can a company that benefited from a contract that was operated without question until recently bite the hand that has been feeding it? 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………that it wasn’t a big shock to me when the storybook saga of Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius came to a screeching halt with a murder charge. I respected so much his tenacity and battle to overcome adversity as well as dealing with those arm chair slobs who said he would have an unfair advantage because of his artificial limbs Surely they couldn’t realize or achieve what he did athletically. That said though, in every interview I saw, I witnessed in him a type of angry chip on his shoulder that could have manifested itself in trouble. Don’t know why I had that feeling but I did. Let’s hope we get some clarity in this as to the whys and hows of this tragic situation. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………….that the latest reincarnation of the TV show Dallas is just as dramatic and full of suspense as the early original series on CBS in the late 70s and early 80s. With Larry Hagman’s death last year, the series will stage a funeral for J.R. as a way to write out the character Hagman played. You’ll remember when the series was jumping the shark toward the end of its run, J.R. committed suicide, was buried, then reappeared a few episodes later. This time, dead is dead. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………that more people in the deep south are more prone to strokes than any area in the country. The two biggest factor are deep fried foods and lack of preventative health care options on the part of many residents who just want to put their fate “in the hands of the good Lord”. God may be your Lord and Savior but he isn’t going to help you with that medical bill you leave to your family. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…………..that bacon has become the new Tobacco Chew for males in this century. Let me explain. In the 80s, almost every guy I knew chewed tobacco. (Not all but more than a few). It ranged from teenagers to old men taking a pinch and taking a chew. Now it seems most every guy I know is into bacon. Bacon on pizza, bacon in ice cream at Burger King, bacon on burgers, bacon on bacon. I like bacon but maybe once every two months if I’m lucky and never, ever on a burger. But hey, to each his own. I just find it interesting that some guys have moved on from “The Chew” to “Porky and Friends”. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…………that mountain goats aren’t actually goats but in fact antelopes. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…………that my latest TV addiction seems to be with the 1960s series “Naked City”. The show aired way past my bedtime when it was on and like other boomer adults, I am watching a lot of “ME TV” on Fox. I am struck by the literacy in the stories as well as the plethora of actors who later made their marks in movies and TV later on. To be sure some of the shows were clunkers but others were masterpieces. Plus most of the series was filmed on location in New York City which gives you the sense of what Gotham was like in the early 60s. The show airs at 1AM Monday mornings. You can DVR or Hopper it. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……….that the guy with the crazy afro and red cheeks (actor Jesse Heiman) who was kissing super model Bar Refaeli turned up on an episode the other night on “The Big Bang Theory”. He was in a group shot toward the end of the show but he stood out.in the crowd. He'll be around more with his new fame. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………..that cats can make 100 sounds. Dogs can make about ten. But dogs are more fun. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED………that for the second time, the Topps Chewing Gum Company has retired the card number, (7) of Mickey Mantle. Topps did it after he died. Then ten years later entered into an agreement with the Mantle family to produce the #7 card in its new set every year. That 7 year contract is now over and Mantle’s two surviving sons, Danny and David are asking a fortune for Topps to renew. If the impasse remains, (Tops is balking) the Mantle card will once again be retired and Topps will not be selling Mickey Mantle cards in 2013. 
MAYBE I’M AMAZED……….that today is the birthday of the late Otis Blackwell. Blackwell was a songwriter who composed “Fever”, “All Shook Up” and “Don’t Be Cruel”. Here he is performing that big Elvis and Cheap Trick hit on Letterman in 1987.

16 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Anonymous JUNCTION said...

Dave, we should not make such a big deal about the new trend in bacon consumption. If the government finds out they may end up putting a tax on it like they do tobacco products. But we already have many "pork barrel" projects that we pay taxes for.

How ironic it all is.

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, the lack of loyalty by LAG is something that should surprise anyone. Loyalty is something that ended with the last generation. I just never understood why Mayor L. allowed this to go on for so long.
Bacon goes with eggs, pancakes, french toast, BLTs an nothing else!
Speaking of TV, Larry Hagman was the best TV villain and real life nice guy ever.
The Big Bang Theory is one of my favorite TV comedy on the air. Hate to miss NCIS.
As I watched the video of Otis Blackwell, I noticed that he mentioned Elvis had some of his songs but never got to record them. Shawn Klush should jump all over them

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, I have to agree with the good doctor, I never see the "real" TV reporters hawking products but talk show hosts such as Ed Shultz of The Ed Show (radio) and Rush Limbaugh and even Savage and many others also hawk.

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave:
If you went to church tonight, what exactly did you think about? Since you coonjured up activity of the Pope last Saturday, I'd like to know!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
Dave:
If you went to church tonight, what exactly did you think about? Since you coonjured up activity of the Pope last Saturday, I'd like to know!
SERIOUSLY?

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. Seriously.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

Okay, here goes. I thought of course about the liturgy. I thought about a consumer I spoke with on Friday at work who asked me if I knew I’d be saved by Jesus if I made him my savior. I then read a passage in the second reading that correlated to that. I thought of the weather, thought about why the lady in front of me was arching her feet under the pew in front of me nearly slipping out of her shoes. I also thought about why she wasn’t wearing any socks when she had on a heavy winter coat. I thought about how well my pastor was moving after his back operation last year. I thought about how good Eucharistic Minister Stan Neishal’s hair looked when he was heading to give me Communion. I thought about what an excellent production director he was at WILK and then at Magic 93 and WARM. I thought about the pretty blond woman at the West Side CVS that gives me my drugs through the drive through. I thought about what life would be like if we never heard the name Kardashian. I thought about Mrs. LuLac’s leg brace and whether she wore it or not. Granny Smith apples and egg rolls. I thought about the vestments the priest was wearing and dreading getting out of church because I knew Mrs. LuLac would be putting on the ponderous Prairie Home Companion on the ride home. That’s about it.

 
At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAYBE I’M AMAZED
MAYBE I’M AMAZED…….that LAG Towing is now suing the city of Wilkes Barre (or threatening to) for who knows what. It is astounding to me that LAG is actually making Bob Kadluboski, even at his most confrontation

confrontational

with Mayor Namey seem like a choir boy. How can a company that benefited from a contract that was operated without question until

recently bite the hands that has

have

been feeding it?

Miss me?

Tolstoy

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE

Tolstoy

7:09 AM
THANKS MAN.

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Naked City comes down to two things when its good and considering the era in which it ran, it was damn good most of the time. Excellent writers and top notch actors. So much of the other stuff on ME TV just doesnt stand the test of time. Route 66 has been a major disappointment, but the Car is still the star.

JP

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, that was more than enough about what you were thinking about in church.

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm not a Christian, I'm Roman Catholic" ... not a very dedicated one by the sounds of your thoughts during church.

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger David Yonki said...

IN RESPONSE
"I'm not a Christian, I'm Roman Catholic" ... not a very dedicated one by the sounds of your thoughts during church.
NOT PERFECT. TRYING TO DO THE BEST I CAN. OBVIOUSLY YOU'RE A CHRISTIAN.

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAYBE I’M AMAZED……….that the guy with the crazy afro and red cheeks (actor Jesse Heiman) who was kissing super model Bar Refaeli hasn't been mentioned that it looks like Yonk in the 70's.

There are pictures sir.

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do Roman Catholics not believe in Christ as their savior?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home